MIT student at Logan

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The crime is similar to yelling fire or walking into the airport with a firearm or knife. The signs say no weapons. This includes what some people perceive to be weapons as well.

The crime of causing a stampede or panic or the threat of it.

I would have still detained her. Why? To find out if she needed a psych eval. Why would anyone do this? Also I would not let her go back out and possible cause a panic. I mean what would happen if they let her go and someone thought they needed to do something about her. Detaining her and removing her is also for her protection.

I travel with a laptop. I pack all controllers in check in. Yet, I still get full investigation on my bag with the charger cords and vehicel charge and accessories. But if you do it right, it is only a proble for the people behind you in line as you need three or four tubs to put your stuff in and then to re pack everything on the other side.

I recently traveled from Las Vegas to St Paul to Flint. We change planes in St. Paul. I got on and this guy was sitting in my seat. Back of the plane next to the bathroom and an isle seat. He looked at me and said "Ya Ya" He continued to play with something in the seat back and then stood up like I would get in. I looked at him and said I have the isle seat. He got in and was not happy. He then proceded to just sit there and ignore me. Until right before take ioff. He pulled out his cell phone and made a call. He was on the phone even after they said all phone off. (* I have talked to some pilots personally who conducted the test in flight themselves and they do interfer with the tracking and Nav systems. *) The Stewardess came by and I pointed at him she did not understand and I looked at her crossed my eyes and pointed agian with my outside arm. She then told him to put the phone up. He did not. She checked the back of the plane and the bathroom and then came back and told him again. He waved her off. ** He was supposedly talking to his familiy ** She went up and did not give the all clear. She got on the PA again and told the plane to turn off cell phones. She then walked through again and this time when she told him he did. This delay actually cost us our take off slot. To me this is terrorism. I wanted to hit him right then and there. So we get off the ground and the first thing he does as soon as the wheels are off the ground he pulls out a pocket new testament. Not the whole bible just the new testament. He then starts to read passages and moves to the next and then the next while he is rocking the whole time. The passages were about Bringing the work of Christ to others and "Making" others see the light and the teachings of JC.

Now if this was a dark haired guy like me and looked Islamic or middle easter like me and if it was the Quran then it would have been a major issue for many. But as he was white and red hair, no one else around me had a problem. Most of the people were worreid about me. ** Stupid ****s **

So I position my self to strike and prepare to stop him if required. I am serious, I was ready to kill him becuase he was acting like a LOON!.

Now the level increases. He starts counting on his hands how far up the exits are. Now I do this, but I do not need to count on my fingers and talk out loud doing it. He also started counting where all the large guys on the plane were. I could watch his fingers count and his eyes and head nod and see what he was doing.

Now I am really geared up and ready for him to try to get up and "use the bathroom"

Next level of intensity, he pulls out his cell phone and starts to play with it. Turns it on and starts to push lots of buttons. I look at him like I am going to kill him if he hits the send button. I am obvious about it. He then begins to realize that I am staring at him and and his phone and he turns it off.

In the end the plane landed with no issuse. He got picked up in a beat up van (* matched him and his look and the look of his wife and kid *).

Most would ask why worry about it?

Others would say I over reacted? Yet I know on flights the same actions by certain types got the planed landed and people arrested.

Some might call it a win as I am alive and nothing happened. I call it a loss as I had a very bad flight and he farted and it smelled like salami. Which to me is just another form of personal terrorism towards me.

I know I fit certain profiles. I am large, unknown race, travel with electronics, and have no jewelry. I know I get special attention all the time. I understand this. But I also know how to react and get through with the minimum issues. I always ask to enter the metal detector. I always ask if my bags and equipment are "Clear" before I touch them. I always ask the person at the end watching, if it is ok for me to leave once I am repacked. It takes hardly any time and it avoids issues.

Now for something funny. In the late 80's I traveled to California and came back with a red wood pine cone. In the carry on bag though the x-ray machine was stopped and other brought in to look at it while being x-ray'd. Once allowed to talk, as they did not want me too until the Experts had a chance to look, I explained that I had a shaving kit, hair dryer, and a pine cone. Imagine razor blades lined up with the pine cone and the coil and plug for the hair dryer. It looked like it was an IED. They let the bag out and had me open it. Once open they verified what I told them, and let me go. Note: Everything in the bag was not visable to the outside where it could have caused fear in others.

Rich, for what its worth, IMHO, I'm right there with ya man! You did nothing wrong and I probably would've been looking at the guy as well, thinking, "What the ****!! Stop acting like a fool, sit there, and enjoy the flight!"

:rofl: :) Totally off topic but...

2 things:

#1. We can't take Rich anywhere.

#2. What's funny about Rich is that he tells a serious story, and I am laughing my *** off. Then he goes into his "funny" story, which is not nearly as funny as his traumatic experience that involves me laughing my *** off.

Whew. Definatily have to get a beer soon Rich so you can tell me more about your trip! :lol: :cheers:

LOL! Yes, I chuckled as well. I only know Rich thru pictures I've seen with him at seminars, the MT Meet & Greet, etc., but judging by his size, I could picture him decking this guy!!

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:rofl: :) Totally off topic but...

2 things:

#1. We can't take Rich anywhere.

#2. What's funny about Rich is that he tells a serious story, and I am laughing my *** off. Then he goes into his "funny" story, which is not nearly as funny as his traumatic experience that involves me laughing my *** off.

Whew. Definatily have to get a beer soon Rich so you can tell me more about your trip! :lol: :cheers:

Paul,

I knew you and others would laugh at the serious story. Part of the reason I share. :D ;) Laughter is good for people.

Latest Discussions