Mistakes people make when holding Muay Thai pads.....

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
What are mistakes people make when holding Muay Thai pads? Or what are some things people can do to improve holding pads?

Damien

Blue Belt
Reaction score
People always hold them at like a 45 degree angle when practicing body kicks. Last time I checked no one but steroid fuelled body builders had that angle on their torso. If you want to hit them properly you can't turn the hip over, so the people kicking just end up swinging their leg upwards like a baseball bat. I constantly have to tell people to turn them up a bit so I can get a good kicking angle.

You get a similar thing with kick shields and leg kicks, they angle them forwards so you end up hitting it at an angle or whipping round the thing.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In my opinion, if a dojo has any kind of pads for people to use for striking - everyone in the school should be taught the proper ways to hold pads.

How the hell else are they supposed to know?

OP
J

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
In my opinion, if a dojo has any kind of pads for people to use for striking - everyone in the school should be taught the proper ways to hold pads.

How the hell else are they supposed to know?
I think it is a skill that needs taught like everything else. In America the students hold pads for other students. In Thailand students don't seem hold pads very much of each other.

Brooke Williams

White Belt
Reaction score
Here are some common mistakes people make when holding Muay Thai pads:

Holding the pads too low. This can put your knees or hips at risk of injury.
Holding the pads too high. This can put your shoulders or neck at risk of injury.
Holding the pads loosely. This can cause the pads to move around and hit you in the wrong place.
Holding the pads unevenly. This can cause the pads to not absorb the impact of the strikes evenly, which can lead to injury.
Not warming up before holding pads. This can make you more susceptible to injury.
To avoid these mistakes, it is important to:

Hold the pads at knee level.
Hold the pads tightly, but not so tightly that you cut off circulation.
Hold the pads evenly.
Warm up before holding pads.
If you are not sure how to hold pads properly, ask your coach or an follow the link thaiboxingpros.com to learn more information about Muay thai.

Latest Discussions