Isn't it amazing.... Muay Thai kicks

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have discovered a few things about Muay Thai kicks that I find very interesting. First they are indeed very powerful, often much more powerful than other kicks. Specifically I'm referring to the difference between a "snap" kick, verses "push" kick in the case of a teep. Also a roundhouse "snap" style kick, verses the full commitment, body rotation and fluid shockwave, time on target, delivered in a Thai style body kick.

But here is where it gets interesting to me.... Although you do retract Thai kicks quickly, the same as a snap kick, the initial application is focused on power not speed. With that said, they are a little easier to grab.

Here is where it gets more interesting. Most sport based kicking systems would outlaw grabbing a leg and sweeping, if the method you used to kick is more susceptible to grabbing. And yet.....

And yet the Thais allow it! You can grab and sweep, grab and punch, in response to someone kicking you. So in Muay Thai, you learn how to free your leg when it's grabbed. Also to retract it in a way that makes it hard to grab. In some cases even throw the kick to make it hard to grab.

All of this adds up to allow Thai boxers to throw some of the most powerful kicks, and get away with it, and get it back if grabbed.

I am continually impressed with the detail and effectiveness of this system.

Latest Discussions