Minor rant

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Seven years ago, we moved our school into its current location. It was our "dream" school, built out the way we wanted and we were rocking!

On January 31, we're closing its doors.

Thank you, U. S. Government, ever so much for screwing up the economy so badly that small businesses like mine are suffering. Hey, I'm not a rocket scientist, but even I know what it means to make a budget and keep to it. And I know that if you spend more than you bring in, you're out of business. How come you ignorant twits don't know that fundamental concept?

We're not really going out of business, but it will be a massive downsizing for us. We are looking for new floor space and will be holding classes in a temporary location until we finalize the deal. And with hard work, we will persevere and endure and be able to flip the rigid digit to the government; we're gonna make it in spite of you, you bastards!

And I'm sitting here right now aching from head to foot because yesterday we pulled up the mats, took down the pictures, grabbed the furniture, etc., loaded it into a truck and put it in storage. It took us three trip to move everything, even using a 17 foot truck. The only bright side is that we threw out a ton of stuff that we really didn't need and were keeping for sentimental reasons. We're negotiating on new floor space about half the size of our existing space and by the time we finish that and the buildout finishes, it'll be mid-March. So we are holding class in a neighborhood community center and in six weeks or so, we get to move it all again.

Suggestion: in the 2012 elections, look at your elected reps at all levels. If they are not consistently voting AGAINST spending increases, vote the SOBs out of office. If they are unopposed, write in your name against them.

Aarrgghh.....thanks for letting me blow off some steam, guys.

Narges

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It must be really painful. I'm so sorry that there is nothing I can do except praying for things to get better for you. :(

jthomas1600

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Man, I'm really sorry to hear that. Bellow is a cool link I've found recently that will help people learn more about what their elected officials are up too. I agree with you. If someone in office is conducting business as usual and worried only about preserving or furthering their own political career than vote the bum out. Hang in there things will get better. I say that not because I have any confidence in those holding office, but because I have confidence in you, me and other people like us.

Here's the link... http://www.opencongress.org/people/news_blogs/400314_Nancy_Pelosi

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm sorry you had to move spaces and downsize... did you know that the last time the US Government wasn't in debt was 1836? Look here - then scroll through the chart at the bottom. Says something about our system of politics, doesn't it? Nonetheless, it has never been as bad as it is now, even adjusted for inflation. I hope things look up for you soon.

OP
Balrog

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind wishes, everyone. We're going to lead by example and persevere; do the lemons into lemonade thing.

Our demographics are going to change greatly if we get the space we're looking at and even using very pessimistic recruiting numbers, my revised business plan and pro-formas are indicating that there is a very real chance we can go back into the black (at least on month-to-month operations) within 4-6 months of the move.

I'm gonna have to learn how to be a better salesperson, though. I'm a good Taekwondo teacher but I suck at sales. :disgust: Oh, well - there's always something new to learn, right?

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Balrog, don't forget to keep settng the bar high! It is better to fall short of a lofty goal than to meet a lower one. Don't let the morons in office get you down!

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hang in there! Make the adjustments necessary and come back stronger! I know how you feel. I am going into my 18th year with my school and it has been a long haul and sometimes was not easy! Teach a quality program and treat people right, keep learning, and don't give up!

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Balrog, are any of your higher level students good at sales? See if you can enlist their help somehow.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
That hurts, Balrog. Keep up your spirits.

I went through that with my school at the end of 2008. PM me if you ever want to talk with someone who's been exactly there.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thank you, U. S. Government, ever so much for screwing up the economy so badly that small businesses like mine are suffering. Hey, I'm not a rocket scientist, but even I know what it means to make a budget and keep to it. And I know that if you spend more than you bring in, you're out of business. How come you ignorant twits don't know that fundamental concept?
They understand it. But since it isn't their money, they don't really care. And the American people, who's money it is, are to blame for continually electing them and treating them like heroes when the spending increases benefit our particular group or cause.

I wish you the best, sir!! You may be down, but you're not out!

Daniel

Latest Discussions