Militia Members Arrested in Southern Michigan

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Apparently a group called "Hutaree," arrested today.

http://hutaree.com/

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Justic...ests-point-to-tripling-of-militias-since-2008

Federal authorities say the Hutaree started to conduct military-style training in Michigan’s Lenawee County in August 2008.
After debating different scenarios, the group decided upon killing a local law enforcement official and attacking the subsequent funeral procession, the indictment says. The indictment says the Hutaree planned to use “improvised explosive devices” and “explosively formed projectiles” that, authorities say, qualify as weapons of mass destruction.
The group accelerated training in February and March with plans to carry out the attack in April, the indictment states.

This is so not good. I thought we were done with these militia groups.

Here's one of their YouTube Videos:

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Done? With group lunacy in humans?

Bill... c'mon, man

Group lunacy, no. That goes hand-in-hand with the human condition. But I thought we were perhaps past these domestic terrorists. After OKC and then 9/11, the crazies went pretty much underground or otherwise got on with their lives. What now? Are we in for another spate of Waco and Ruby Ridge and Justice Township and whatever else the loonies can come up with and the federal government can ham-handedly make martyrs of?

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just saw this on MSNBC. Gotta love those nutjobs. Who wants to hurt the men and women out there actually protecting us.
A nut job by any other name, to paraphrase WS. I've known a few "militia" types in the past. Some where very serious about the Constitution and protecting the rights there-in but most were utter and complete asshats who just wanted an excuse to drink beer, shoot weapons and belong to a "super secret" group.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Group lunacy, no. That goes hand-in-hand with the human condition. But I thought we were perhaps past these domestic terrorists. After OKC and then 9/11, the crazies went pretty much underground or otherwise got on with their lives. What now? Are we in for another spate of Waco and Ruby Ridge and Justice Township and whatever else the loonies can come up with and the federal government can ham-handedly make martyrs of?

I dunno...everything is cyclic. i'm sure we'll have a few groups that think they can make a run at the gov't. If not now, then later.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A nut job by any other name, to paraphrase WS. I've known a few "militia" types in the past. Some where very serious about the Constitution and protecting the rights there-in but most were utter and complete asshats who just wanted an excuse to drink beer, shoot weapons and belong to a "super secret" group.

Yeah, I've seen those types also. Even seen some of the 'drill' on films and so on. Not impressed. The videos made by these guys seem to indicate that their members are at least physically fit and well-armed. Didn't see any beer guts or hunting rifles, although I did see what looked like a Pomeranian pooch running alongside one of them. Weird that.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Will we see calls for the eight detained alleged terrorists to be tortured so that we can catch the ninth on the run? Or just to show them that we mean business?

Somehow I don't think so.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Will we see calls for the eight detained alleged terrorists to be tortured so that we can catch the ninth on the run? Or just to show them that we mean business?

Maybe not.

But its great to see you back with us, Dr. Hands. ;) You've been missed. :)

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score

How many people have they killed so far? How many millions of dollars do they have in their account? How many members do they have? What does their infrastructure look like? How many people, in how many countries, do they have cheering their efforts? How many people have joined their cause as a result of this arrest?

Context is kind of important.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Context is kind of important.

Indeed. The supposed liquid bomb plot that has resulted in our completely awesome 3oz or less TSA policy was a fantasy, and never could have worked in real life. Yet the TSA regs remain. In the case of waterboarding, all the relevant military and intelligence experts told us that the torture would produce no useful data. Yet the torture occurred anyway, and was repeatedly called for. Most of the way people think about the War on Terror and our reactions to it are emotional, not from a place of reasoning and context.

Which is why Scott Roeder, these 9 idiots, and others like them will all get their day in court, none will be waterboarded, none will be sent to Gitmo, none will be held indefinitely without charges. Because they are white and Christian, their terrorism doesn't freak out the nation into treating them like they want us to treat everyone else.

Hell, some of the War on Terror's biggest hawks find it easy to sympathize with terror when they don't like the terrorists' target: "Yeah, they’ve been pretty brutal in Chechnya and in some ways have brought this, I’ve got to say, on themselves." - Bill Kristol

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope, they're still around. Some have cloaked themselves in a mantle of legitimacy (some of the Minutemen groups), others have been less visible. They're all still out there... along with white supremacists, Neo-Nazis, and the rest.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Indeed. The supposed liquid bomb plot that has resulted in our completely awesome 3oz or less TSA policy was a fantasy, and never could have worked in real life. Yet the TSA regs remain.

Yeah, I don't know what to tell you about that one. 'parently, our government knows as much about science as it does about healthcare.

In the case of waterboarding, all the relevant military and intelligence experts told us that the torture would produce no useful data. Yet the torture occurred anyway, and was repeatedly called for. Most of the way people think about the War on Terror and our reactions to it are emotional, not from a place of reasoning and context.

Yes, I'm aware that all the pertinent studies have shown that torture doesn't work. I'm also aware that KSM, one of the handful of prisoners on whom it has been done, has given huge amounts of information to his handlers. But he probably intended to do that anyway, so no doubt they were just torturing him for the hyuks. That's really sad.

Which is why Scott Roeder, these 9 idiots, and others like them will all get their day in court, none will be waterboarded, none will be sent to Gitmo, none will be held indefinitely without charges. Because they are white and Christian, their terrorism doesn't freak out the nation into treating them like they want us to treat everyone else.

They won't get waterboarded because they don't know ****, and even if they did they would readily give it all up because they are soft Americans from BFE, Michigan. I for one don't think they've got information about an impending dirty nuke attack. It's not because they're white and Christian, it's because I don't believe they have the brains to successfully blow their nose. Maybe if they had a few televised decapitations under their belts I would think differently, but it's just funny to hear the same people who scoff about the "so-called war on terror" all of a sudden go "ZOMG, teh Christians are coming" whenever a gang of Cletuses (Cleti?) get rounded up.

Hell, some of the War on Terror's biggest hawks find it easy to sympathize with terror when they don't like the terrorists' target: "Yeah, they’ve been pretty brutal in Chechnya and in some ways have brought this, I’ve got to say, on themselves." - Bill Kristol

Well, now I'm confused because all this time people have been saying we brought 9/11 on ourselves, so which is it? FWIW, I don't agree with Kristol. I think Russia should have been much firmer in Chechnya, especially after Beslan.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, I'm aware that all the pertinent studies have shown that torture doesn't work. I'm also aware that KSM, one of the handful of prisoners on whom it has been done, has given huge amounts of information to his handlers. But he probably intended to do that anyway, so no doubt they were just torturing him for the hyuks. That's really sad.

Lynndie England and her buddies did do it for the hyuks, apparently. I have no idea why KSM was waterboarded 183 times (after he had supposedly given up all this info, not to mention the government lied and claimed it was 3 times). For the laughs is as good an explanation as any.

They won't get waterboarded because they don't know ****, and even if they did they would readily give it all up because they are soft Americans from BFE, Michigan. I for one don't think they've got information about an impending dirty nuke attack. It's not because they're white and Christian, it's because I don't believe they have the brains to successfully blow their nose. Maybe if they had a few televised decapitations under their belts I would think differently, but it's just funny to hear the same people who scoff about the "so-called war on terror" all of a sudden go "ZOMG, teh Christians are coming" whenever a gang of Cletuses (Cleti?) get rounded up.

It's a "so called" War on Terror because the "Terror" is being defined incredibly selectively, in a way that flatters American interests and prejudices. Underwear Bomber didn't know **** (and gave up what little he knew without torture), the Kool-Aid Bombers were dumber than a box of hammers, and I know it's crazy, but Islamic terrorism does encompass many groups and different people. Some of whom would as soon kill each other as you and me. So torturing Underwear Bomber to find out the (laughable) nuclear plans of a bunch of dusty cave dwellers in Pakistan makes as much sense as torturing our Militia friends. In other words, it doesn't make any sense at all. Yet the Militia terrorists will be treated as criminals, which is a horrible travesty when it is applied to Islamic terrorists. You explain it.

Well, now I'm confused because all this time people have been saying we brought 9/11 on ourselves, so which is it?

Come now, don't be obtuse. Kristol and the war hawks like him broadly condemned any attempt at "explanation" or "understanding" of Islamic terrorism. When some in this country said we brought it on ourselves, that made them insane, foolish traitors. Yet, suddenly, when Russia is the target of terrorists, Kristol finds understanding for the motives of terrorists.

IOW, none of the arguments made by those like Kristol were made in good faith. They were made to advance their political interests, and to go to war against people they don't like. There was not a shred of principle among them. That is why people like me think the War on Terror is a sham.

If it wasn't, the right would be calling for those like these Militiamen to be treated the same way they wanted Islamic terrorists treated.

5-0 Kenpo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Although I think that some of these organizations are composed of yokels, I find it interesting that people here ignore the fact that many of the people that helped establish this country were "militiamen". They fought in defiance of a what they considered a tyrannical government. Some were even considered terrorists.

How quick to judge.... especially against mostly people who haven't hurt anyone....

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Although I think that some of these organizations are composed of yokels, I find it interesting that people here ignore the fact that many of the people that helped establish this country were "militiamen". They fought in defiance of a what they considered a tyrannical government. Some were even considered terrorists.

Ever notice how long it took the country to put together a system to prevent that sorta thing from easily happening again?

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
How quick to judge.... especially against mostly people who haven't hurt anyone....

Are you ****ing kidding me? They planned on killing a policeman, and then ambushing the funeral procession. Which, presumably, would include any recently widowed spouses and parentless children. You're goddamned right I'll be quick to judge that little plan.

You want to run around the woods, hate Democrats, and talk about freedom? Knock yourself out. But don't pretend that makes you the defender of freedom when it comes time to attack a funeral procession, you cowardly ****s.

Latest Discussions