Giving up junk food like kicking junk habit: study

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I always knew dieting was hard, but I had no idea it was this hard. It's the same as kicking an addiction.

Dieting can be as hard as kicking a heroin addiction, new research suggests.

According to the study, overloading your body with a good thing can cause an addiction, as your brain comes to expect and seek out those feelings of satisfaction and well-being.

Whether that good feeling comes from injecting yourself with heroine or having one more bite of coffee cake is irrelevant.

"A defining characteristic of overweight and obese individuals is that they continue to overeat despite the well-known negative health and social consequences," wrote authors Paul Johnson and Paul Kenny, who conducted the study at the Scripps Research Institute. This is "analogous to the compulsive drug-taking behaviour seen in human drug addicts."

Becoming addicted to unhealthy food is remarkably simple, actually. And it all starts with a single bite triggering what scientists call a reward threshold.

When you first start to eat, or take drugs, the reward threshold is low. It takes less food and less drug to make you feel good.

But as you overeat, and as you continue to use drugs, it takes more and more to make you feel good. Your reward threshold increases. Most people then continue to eat what makes them feel good, or use the drugs, and slowly become addicts to that behaviour.

"Ease of access and consequent overeating of cafeteria-style diets in humans is considered an important environmental contributor to the current obesity epidemic in Western societies," wrote the authors.

They also found that once the addiction to high-fat food has been established, addicted rats were willing to subject themselves to extremely uncomfortable situations if it meant they would have access to that food again.

Rats that had no experience with the high-fat cafeteria diet avoided the same uncomfortable experience and stayed healthier.

"These data are, as far as we know, the strongest support for the idea that overeating of palatable food can become habitual in the same manner and through the same mechanisms as consumption of drugs of abuse," one of the researchers told Science Daily.

The study was published online in the journal Nature Neuroscience.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think they're overthinking this a bit much. It's no surprise that people prefer to make easy choices.

In order from easiest to hardest:

Doing pleasant things for short-term gain (mmm Twinkies)
Doing pleasant things for long-term gain
Doing unpleasant things for short-term gain
Doing unpleasant things for long-term gain (crap, broccoli again?)

Now, where do I pick up my grant money?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't think they are over-thinking it at all. That mirrors the exact struggles that I have been going through. With heroin, cigarettes, alcohol, etc. you can cut out the heroin, cigarettes, or alcohol. However, there is no way for the body to go without food. My doctor even said to me flat out that losing weight is going to be the hardest thing I ever do in my life. And....it has been. If I didn't have the desire or capability to suck up something unpleasant for the sake of longer term gain, I wouldn't have become an engineer that has completed one undergrad and nearly completed another.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Paul Johnson and Paul Kenny work in the lab next to me. We all joke with Paul Johnson (the student who did the research) about his cheesecake loving rats. They are discriminating - they love Cheesecake Factory cheesecake, and turn their noses up at Sara Lee.

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wondered if its biological for us to like junk food. After all, our ancestors who hunted and gathered needed the high fat stuff so they could hunt. Now, we no longer need to hunt but our bodies still seek this.

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm going to try to find that link and study. Personally, with my own, admittedly limited knowledge of biology and human behavior, this sounds like a rehash of old thinking.

But as to the specific reference to physical addition, one has to look no further than sugars (not fat) and the ability to metabolize them to understand it.

I always knew dieting was hard, but I had no idea it was this hard. It's the same as kicking an addiction.

Dieting can be as hard as kicking a heroin addiction, new research suggests.

According to the study, overloading your body with a good thing can cause an addiction, as your brain comes to expect and seek out those feelings of satisfaction and well-being.

Whether that good feeling comes from injecting yourself with heroine or having one more bite of coffee cake is irrelevant.

"A defining characteristic of overweight and obese individuals is that they continue to overeat despite the well-known negative health and social consequences," wrote authors Paul Johnson and Paul Kenny, who conducted the study at the Scripps Research Institute. This is "analogous to the compulsive drug-taking behaviour seen in human drug addicts."

Becoming addicted to unhealthy food is remarkably simple, actually. And it all starts with a single bite triggering what scientists call a reward threshold.

When you first start to eat, or take drugs, the reward threshold is low. It takes less food and less drug to make you feel good.

But as you overeat, and as you continue to use drugs, it takes more and more to make you feel good. Your reward threshold increases. Most people then continue to eat what makes them feel good, or use the drugs, and slowly become addicts to that behaviour.

"Ease of access and consequent overeating of cafeteria-style diets in humans is considered an important environmental contributor to the current obesity epidemic in Western societies," wrote the authors.

They also found that once the addiction to high-fat food has been established, addicted rats were willing to subject themselves to extremely uncomfortable situations if it meant they would have access to that food again.

Rats that had no experience with the high-fat cafeteria diet avoided the same uncomfortable experience and stayed healthier.

"These data are, as far as we know, the strongest support for the idea that overeating of palatable food can become habitual in the same manner and through the same mechanisms as consumption of drugs of abuse," one of the researchers told Science Daily.

The study was published online in the journal Nature Neuroscience.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
There is something to it. I don't know if it is as hard as a heroin addiction ( never had one) but I do know that I had to overcome the sugar cravings when I decided to lose some weight. I did push ups to quell those cravings. For some reason that worked. Now I no longer have cravings for junk and my upper body and abs are much stronger :)

KELLYG

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I heard something on NPR that said that we taste mostly sugar, salt, and fat. It sets off some kind of brain thing that releases endorphins, that make you fee good, when consumed. The more that each of those items that are combined the more we crave them. I also think that, junk food, is strategically designed to induce cravings to keep us coming back to consume more and more.

Latest Discussions