Mental illness and TKD

A

ave_turuta

Dear all,

I am preparing to write an essay for my next TKD test, and I have thought of tackling the topic of mental illness and the martial arts, especifically TKD. Very briefly, I am trying to argue that the martial arts, because of the combination of physical and mental training, can become a very powerful tool in the treatment of the so-called "mental illneses" that affect 1 in 4 Americans today, instead of artificial drugs and the reductionist and limited approach to the notion of illness promoted by Western medicine.

My question is: is anyone aware of any clinical studies that have been done in this respect? I am also interested in knowing whether this topic has been addressed at an official level by TKD officials (meaning, are there any initiatives being undertaken to promote awareness?)

Thanks a lot!
A.T.

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I don't have anything specific for you myself... but maybe I can help you be more specific. Are you meaning any type of psychological type "disease", such as depressison, or just things that affect the growth of mental thought process. I assume with the 1 in 4 status you mean any type of "psychological disease". I know there have been studies that include the affect of physical activity on the mind and mood, as well as the reinforcement of confidence through improvement. Again, I know the info is out there, but I haven't anything specific

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Try the USA Taekwondo office they maybe able to point you in the right direction (719) 866-4632.

Good Luck and keep us informed

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
ave_turuta said:
Dear all,

I am preparing to write an essay for my next TKD test, and I have thought of tackling the topic of mental illness and the martial arts, especifically TKD. Very briefly, I am trying to argue that the martial arts, because of the combination of physical and mental training, can become a very powerful tool in the treatment of the so-called "mental illneses" that affect 1 in 4 Americans today, instead of artificial drugs and the reductionist and limited approach to the notion of illness promoted by Western medicine.
Nope. Doing a few forms does not cure or in any way treat clinical depression. TKD is not scientology.

(Incidently, Low self-esteem's not a mental illness.)

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
1 in 4!? I have to wonder if that number doesn't reflect the "it's not my fault" mindset that seems to be overtaking american society. "I couldn't help myself. I have a mental disorder." has always seemed to be a big cop out to me...but that's a whole different thread. I can only think that MA would assist in the development of concentration for things along the lines of ADD or ADHD. I know that we have several members on the board that do indeed suffer from both of these ailments. Good luck in your report. I'd be very interested to see the finished product.

Shu2jack

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I do not think TKD can cure any mental or physical condition, but I think TKD (or any traditional art/healthy activity) can help give a person a healthier/happier quality of life through coordination, increased physical fitness, balance, and something to help give them focus in their life.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just for the sake of fairness:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...d&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=15344428&query_hl=1

It's Tai Chi, but it does apparently make people feel better about themselves. (Wish they'd done a comparison between other physical activities.)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=7762694&query_hl=1

On topic but not too helpful. MA's can give rise to issues which are then psychoanalyzed...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=3155357&query_hl=1

In other words, positive effects are suspected, but nothing has been proven.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=1883753&query_hl=7

Is it the training, or the philosophies that they sneak into your brain?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...d&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=12395145&query_hl=7

Ah. There's that parrallel with other physical activities that I wanted to see in the Tai Chi abstract...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...d&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=12081264&query_hl=7

Interesting. TKD and Karate bear many similarities. Karate didn't "cure" aggressiveness.

Dig around www.pubmed.com, there's a lot there. From just poking around, I don't see a lot that supports TKD healing much more than self-confidence issues, and even that's probably a side effect of physical activity over any great mental training.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I have seen an abstract from a sports medicine journal that found that Olympic style TKD competitors face a concussion rate on par with US college football. To continue an unfortunate logical chain, repeated concussion and some suggestion of mild head injuries has been linked as a cause of depression. There has been suggestions of mutliple concussions being linked to Alzheimers but a recent paper found no conclusive link.

So I guess, I am suggesting that the medical literature can be followed to suggest that some TKD CAUSES mental illness.

heh,

oops.

Lamont

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You might look at studies which discuss the effects of exercise more generally. I can't believe there's much that's TKD-specific!

Be wary of overdrawn conclusions!

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Blindside said:
I have seen an abstract from a sports medicine journal that found that Olympic style TKD competitors face a concussion rate on par with US college football. To continue an unfortunate logical chain, repeated concussion and some suggestion of mild head injuries has been linked as a cause of depression.
Even worse, so does losing. As taking multiple kicks to the noggin would imply. ;)

Shu2jack

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindside
I have seen an abstract from a sports medicine journal that found that Olympic style TKD competitors face a concussion rate on par with US college football. To continue an unfortunate logical chain, repeated concussion and some suggestion of mild head injuries has been linked as a cause of depression.

Even worse, so does losing. As taking multiple kicks to the noggin would imply. ;)
Did we just link getting your *** consistantly kicked to depression? I could've told you guys that. :p

OP
A

ave_turuta

theletch1 said:
1 in 4!? I have to wonder if that number doesn't reflect the "it's not my fault" mindset that seems to be overtaking american society. "I couldn't help myself. I have a mental disorder." has always seemed to be a big cop out to me...but that's a whole different thread. I can only think that MA would assist in the development of concentration for things along the lines of ADD or ADHD. I know that we have several members on the board that do indeed suffer from both of these ailments. Good luck in your report. I'd be very interested to see the finished product.
Thank you for your kind and considerate response. First, I must add that this is a very short essay; secondly, I find some of the answers to be way off line given the nature and tone of my question. But, regardless. I did some research over the weekend and found that indeed several studies have been carried out by psychotherapists, for instance, that point to the health benefits of practicing martial arts in general for people with illneses as varied as MS, depression, etc.

Another point I am trying to make is analyzing this topic from a different understanding of what illness and the healing process mean in our culture. I agree: 1 in 4 Americans is said to suffer from a "mental illness." The problem is, the definition of "mental illness" according to the mainstream medical establisment keeps widening in part becuase of gigantic economic interests. Nowadays, kids are being administered dangerous drugs for things like ADD, when perhaps their "mental" problem could be easily solved by understanding that ADD may not be solved with drugs, but with the practice of a martial discipline that brings focus, attention, respect, etc. etc. to the individual.

About depression: depression is not a psychological illness. Currently, the medical establishment believes that depression is caused in most cases by a chemical imbalance in the brain mainly due to the absence of a substance called "serotonin." While I do not dispute these findings, my argument is: even if depression has a biological origin, will the administration of drugs suffice to "cure" the illness? Here is where I think a different phlosophy of healing based on a less invasive and more humane approach to human health and well being could be useful (and please, save yourselves the trouble of going to the extreme of sarcasm with references to Scientology, as I am a proud and out atheist and thus do not believe in any mythological narrative espoused by anyone who claims to hold the Truth and nothing but the Truth).

What can the martial arts offer in this regard? There are numerous scientific studies that have already established a clear connection between exercise (any type) and the relieving of depression (when exercising, apparently, the brain produces more serotonin which in turns makes you "feel good"). I do believe, however, that the martial arts can offer additional benefits, particularly on the preventive side. My essay takes into consideration two aspects of the relationship between mental illness and the martial arts: the physical/psychological aspect (that is, can the martial arts help in the healing process of what we know as a mental illness?); and secondly, the preventive aspect. This means, for instance, realizing what we as martial artists can do in order to reduce the impact of mental illness in our society. Several studies have for instance found a direct correlation between poverty and violent environments and mental illness: you are more likely to develop a mental illness if you live in poor and unsafe environments than if you life in the opposite. The martial artist, thus, has two options: to see her/his knowledge as a private acquisition not to be shared with anyone, or to be guided by the principles that inspire the art of making the world a little better. Establishing martial arts programs in economically depressed areas, for instance, perhaps on a voluntary basis, could offer alternatives to children who grow up surronded with unsurmountable amounts of violence. Some studies have confirmed that enrollment in martial arts programs resulted in a reduction inthe level of violence and risk factors amongst high school youth.

My approach to the topic of "mental illness" is just more than the pop-a-pill approach or the "let the crazies solve their issues" approach that this individualistic society promotes. I honestly thought I would find more open minds here. Sad to see it is not the case. I'll be glad to share my essay with whoever requests it, after friday.

Sincerely,
A.T.

OP
A

ave_turuta

Shu2jack said:
Did we just link getting your *** consistantly kicked to depression? I could've told you guys that. :p
Deppression is a crippling disease, not just a mood disorder, that is not synonimous with "oh i feel like crap today." It is a serious illness that, in its extreme form, frequently leads to suicide attempts and eventually death. Not funny.

OP
A

ave_turuta

arnisador said:
You might look at studies which discuss the effects of exercise more generally. I can't believe there's much that's TKD-specific!

Be wary of overdrawn conclusions!
Thanks! I actually found a couple of studies that specifically referred to TKD and Aikido (these were clinical studies). I can share them with you if you'd like to.

Cheers,
A.T.

OP
A

ave_turuta

Shu2jack said:
I do not think TKD can cure any mental or physical condition, but I think TKD (or any traditional art/healthy activity) can help give a person a healthier/happier quality of life through coordination, increased physical fitness, balance, and something to help give them focus in their life.
thanks for your response!

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Any Martial Arts training can never replace the advice of a professional.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ave_turuta said:
Thanks! I actually found a couple of studies that specifically referred to TKD and Aikido (these were clinical studies). I can share them with you if you'd like to.

Cheers,
A.T.
As an aikido-ka I'd be very interested in seeing these clinical studies. Please share the links with us. :asian:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ave_turuta said:
I actually found a couple of studies that specifically referred to TKD and Aikido (these were clinical studies).
Clinicial studies! I'd be curious to see the citations if it's no trouble. I may have the college's library request copies for me since it's so easy to do!

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm guessing, that much like the NAPMA assertion that MA traininh helps a kids grades' it will all be ancedotal quoates

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
ave_turuta said:
Another point I am trying to make is analyzing this topic from a different understanding of what illness and the healing process mean in our culture. I agree: 1 in 4 Americans is said to suffer from a "mental illness."

To be honest, I've seen this statistic bandied about, but I've never seen it attached to a source, or seen it given any kind of a useful context. It's usually just used as a rallying cry vs evil western medicine.

Nowadays, kids are being administered dangerous drugs for things like ADD,

Is Ritalin dangerous? Over perscribed yes, but what health problems does it introduce?

About depression: depression is not a psychological illness.
It's in the DSM. I can see why changing the definition of mental illness around so that actual mental disorders don't count would be both attractive and convienent to your argument, but in thas case, it's not a matter of perspective. It is a recognized mental disorder. It's not like a brain tumor. (Something with is not considerd a mental disorder.)

Currently, the medical establishment believes that depression is caused in most cases by a chemical imbalance in the brain mainly due to the absence of a substance called "serotonin." While I do not dispute these findings, my argument is: even if depression has a biological origin, will the administration of drugs suffice to "cure" the illness?
Depression cannot be cured. It can only be controlled. I've witnessed the effects of clinical depression firsthand, and this isn't something that's corrected with a little exercise and some paramillitaristic rules.

Here is where I think a different phlosophy of healing based on a less invasive and more humane approach to human health and well being could be useful
You mean things like, psychotherapy?

(and please, save yourselves the trouble of going to the extreme of sarcasm with references to Scientology, as I am a proud and out atheist and thus do not believe in any mythological narrative espoused by anyone who claims to hold the Truth and nothing but the Truth).
Then I won't point out the contradiction with that statement and the apparent wholesale endorsement and support of/for eastern mysticism.

My approach to the topic of "mental illness" is just more than the pop-a-pill approach or the "let the crazies solve their issues" approach that this individualistic society promotes.
That's not really an accurate description of what the phychological community typically tends to advocate.

Latest Discussions