Meditation to Begin Class

Stargazer

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Wondering what you thought about meditating before the start of class? In different schools I've seen there's been:

1. No meditation or
2. Quiet meditation with students off to the side
3. Meditation with teacher and students all facing same direction
4. Meditation with teacher facing students

In the situation where the teacher meditates facing students, it seemed a little intrusive. Do you guys agree? Is there a "correct" way for meditation?

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I don't really do the meditation thing, but when I have done it, I don't care where th instructor is facing. Usually you were supposed to be focused on yourself.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We don't generally do meditation as part of the class. We will occasionally discuss the purpose and principles of meditation, but it's something that students do on their own, if they so choose.
If you're doing it "correctly", it really shouldn't matter which way you or anybody else is facing.

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
There probably isn't any purely "correct" way to start a class with meditation. It does seem to focus the class on training and quiet the fidgeting of the youngsters. I've wondered whether doing more formal daily meditation outside of class would be of benefit but I haven't carved out time to do it.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have never done meditation as a formal part of class. But I'd agree, with the instructor facing the class it does seem a little intrusive to my eyes. The body language doesn't fit.

OP
S

Stargazer

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I see your points about meditation being a purely personal thing and not considering anything else. Quite valid.

I think for me, I prefer either no meditation or where the students and instructor all face the same direction (symbolizing everyone's thoughts and efforts moving forward). I've run into a weird situation when meditating while the instructor was facing the students. It almost felt like we were all meditating "at" the instructor. Just wondering if anyone's ever experienced this.

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I see your points about meditation being a purely personal thing and not considering anything else. Quite valid.

I think for me, I prefer either no meditation or where the students and instructor all face the same direction (symbolizing everyone's thoughts and efforts moving forward). I've run into a weird situation when meditating while the instructor was facing the students. It almost felt like we were all meditating "at" the instructor. Just wondering if anyone's ever experienced this.
No, the instructor faces the students. Everyone's eyes are closed and it seems pretty natural.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
We use a "guided meditation" to begin each class. The primary reason is to allow the students to "let go" of the day, and prepare them (mentally) for the upcoming class. As it's a guided one, I need to be facing the students so I can calibrate it to their responsiveness on the night. I need to be observing them to ensure that it's being followed... if it isn't, I need to change what I'm saying (or how I'm saying it).

I'd be curious to know what your take on what meditation is, Stargazer... as there's a few small things that have caught my eye here.