Meditation in Taekwondo Classes

aftab

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Am interested in hearing about people's thoughts and practices on the topic of Meditation in Taekwondo Classes.:mst:

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Am interested in hearing about people's thoughts and practices on the topic of Meditation in Taekwondo Classes.:mst:
Where I train, the instruction says "Close your eyes". Then I start singing in my mind the Beatles song "All My Loving"! I don't think I am supposed to do that!

OP
A

aftab

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Where I train, the instruction says "Close your eyes". Then I start singing in my mind the Beatles song "All My Loving"! I don't think I am supposed to do that!

Thats exactly what I was dreading (lol)...could be worse (e.g. K-pop!)

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
For me the meditation isn't effective when it is on someone else's time table. I just end up half waiting for the end.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Meditation in class doesn't work so well for me either. I use the time to separate training from work, clear out my worries and stresses etc. But because I have partial deafness leading to acute tinnitus and hyperacusis, as soon as I shut my eyes in a quiet room, I only have a whistle for company.
At home, I meditate using a white noise generator. Much better.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For me the meditation isn't effective when it is on someone else's time table. I just end up half waiting for the end.
Ive never incorporated it in Taekwondo, but it was common in Kendo. I pretty much just used the time to control my breathing for the same reason.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have found that some ideologies consider this a touchy subject. I explain that the meditation at the beginning of class is to try and forget about everyting outside the Dojang (School, work, family, friends) so they can concentrate on training.

Meditation at the end of class is for them to think about what thye did in class and what they need to work on.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Because in class it was never for a long time at the beginning of the class, I developed the habit of prayer for whatever I thought was worthy, but especially my training, that coupled with tanjon breathing.

For meditation on my own, again tan jon breathing and prayer, but then going over the techniques in my mind. Imagining the process from my mind's eye, just as if I were doing it. If something doesn't seem to work, I recall what I was taught, and how I have done it, then I make it work in my mind and ensure I practice that on a live person so I know it works and I have it right.

YMMV

sopraisso

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I've never seen meditation or anything like it in the place where I train, but I'd like to share my thoughts, anyway:
Once taekwondo is regarded as a way of constructing and conducting one's self (or something like that) more than just a fighting system (despite the fact that it also includes this part), I believe that meditation is something welcome to the classes. I believe it could be useful even to people more focused in fighting, sport or self-defense, but it seems to be particularly useful in a "do" perspective.
Actually, I'm not strictly talking about meditation, but putting aside a time (that doesn't need to happen always) for reflection, concentration and relaxation amid martial art classes. This time could be useful to help students become more relaxed and prepared to work with their bodies, correct their breathing, forget about issues from outside and stay motivated and open for learning -- and, off course, reflect about what is being learned and how to improve. Is this strictly meditation? I don't think so, but I think it is a nice beginning that can later invite some practitioners to meditate where it seems to work better -- when the person feels it is needed.
To me this seems particularly important in kids and teenagers classes, as the younger people need some help to stay focused and at the same time relaxed.
It is good to remember that even if meditation doesn't work exactly as it should be with most people, the "peace time" can be very useful to most, and there are certainly some people that don't even have such kind of opportunity in any other time of the day, or haven't even been ever teached about the utility of stopping the everyday rush just for a while. Maybe later they would use the method also outside, but first they would need someone to show them about it. So, as I said, if taekwondo is "do", and goes beyond the classes and into everyday life, it looks like a good idea to have meditation time in classes.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Meditation really helps me at the endo of the class or session training, when I am sahken and exausted from the work out and meditation helps to regain my breath and calm. In other ways I think it odes not hemp me alot, I just close my eyes and focus in breathing.

Manny

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It depends upon your reason for doing TKD in the first place. If someone comes to TKD class to get a bit of exercise then meditation during class time would turn them away because they would want the class time filled up with activity. They may also see it as paying a lot of money each month just to sit around and do nothing for a portion of the time that could be spent on getting instruction instead.

Latest Discussions