Meditation and Chi

PeaceWarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
So, we always hear about using meditation to develop chi, right? But what are the mechanics behind it?

From my understanding of meditation, the ultimate goal is to cause your brainwaves to slow into the alpha-theta range (those of extreme relaxation and light sleep) while staying awake, therefore tuning yourself to a lower, more powerful brainwave frequency. The longer one can attain these states, the more effect it has on your central nervous system. Because your brain controls your body and therefore your chi, your chi meridians (aura) must tune into the same vibrations, and this gradually gives you more capacity to handle chi, plus the appropriate focus to generate power. This so far is my general understanding of the theory behind using meditation to develop chi.

Thoughts?

ech33

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
from my understanding, meditation is to store chi and enhance it. chi is develop via certain excercise or movements and meditation is meant as a storage and enhancement technique.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
So, we always hear about using meditation to develop chi, right? But what are the mechanics behind it?

From my understanding of meditation, the ultimate goal is to cause your brainwaves to slow into the alpha-theta range (those of extreme relaxation and light sleep) while staying awake, therefore tuning yourself to a lower, more powerful brainwave frequency. The longer one can attain these states, the more effect it has on your central nervous system. Because your brain controls your body and therefore your chi, your chi meridians (aura) must tune into the same vibrations, and this gradually gives you more capacity to handle chi, plus the appropriate focus to generate power. This so far is my general understanding of the theory behind using meditation to develop chi.

Thoughts?

My thoughts are you are already thinking about it too much.

In the beginning relax, let your mind go see where it takes you and if a thought or 2 pop in your head let them come and go do not focus on them. Eventually it will all settle down and things will flow.

OP
P

PeaceWarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
from my understanding, meditation is to store chi and enhance it. chi is develop via certain excercise or movements and meditation is meant as a storage and enhancement technique.

Interesting. I hadnt heard of that before..

My thoughts are you are already thinking about it too much.

In the beginning relax, let your mind go see where it takes you and if a thought or 2 pop in your head let them come and go do not focus on them. Eventually it will all settle down and things will flow.

Heh, I probably do think too much, however I wasnt asking how to meditate, nor do I need help meditating. I was simply wondering the HOW, HOW does it work, HOW does it increase chi, or does it even do that? The theory I put forth was a combination of things I have learned about meditation, brain waves and vibrations in the chi meridians. Its like if someone has positive "vibes" what we are really talking about is quite literally the vibrations eminating from their chi, which can be made more powerful with meditation.

ech33

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
well, if u`ve heard of empty force style then u know it.

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Disclaimer: I'd like to add my $0.02, but I need to be very upfront and honest before I do. Without meaning any offense to anyone here, and with the deepest and most sincere respect for those who hold different views, I want to make it clear that I do NOT believe in 'chi', or meridians, or auras, or bio-force fields affecting our physical bodies or mental states. With that said, if you're still at all interested in some input from a skeptic who approaches meditation from an entirely physiological perspective, here goes:

Now back to my regularly-scheduled post: The autonomous nervous system regulates many important functions subconsciously. Critical fuctions that must continue at all times, such as breathing, are controlled without conscious thought, so that they continue even while sleeping, or under extreme duress (such as survival situations). Your body regulates all such functions through the complementary interaction of the two main components of the autonomous system: the sympathetic nervous system, and the parasympathetic nervous system.

The sympathetic nervous system is your body's primary defense system for high-stress survival situations. It is responsible for the so-called "fight-or-flight" response. When faced with life-threatening crises, this autonomous system kicks into gear without conscious thought and prepares you to respond to critical danger. Immediately, adrenaline and other corticosteroids are dumped into your bloodstream. These raise your heartrate, reduce your fine-motor coordination in favor of greatly increased gross-motor ability, constrict your pupils, raise your blood pressure, increase rapid, shallow respiration, make available a host of other steroids and hormones (including opium-like substances that assist in pain-tolerance), and generally prepare you to fight for your life or flee.

The parasympathetic nervous system is the counterbalance to the sympathetic system. After the danger has passed, this autonomous system automatically releases hormones that counteract and reduce the level of adrenaline and corticosteroids in your bloodstream. Blood acidity goes down, as CO2 levels are reduced, heart rate diminishes, blood pressure is lowered, pupils dilate, muscles relax, and respiration subsides to slower, deeper breaths.

These two systems work together to balance all the systems they affect (heartrate, breathing, blood pressure, blood pH level, hormonal levels, etc). If either system is overactive for too long, a dangerous health situation can result, and in our tensed-up, caffeinated, high-stress culture, generally, the sympathetic nervous system is running on continual overload. In order to restore a healthy balance, stimulation of the parasympathetic system is desireable.

Notice in the (rather long) list of physiological features that these two systems affect subconsciously, the breath rate is the only one that can also be controlled consciously. Experimentation has shown that the parasympathetic nervous system can be stimulated by simply breathing slower and more deeply (as the sympathetic system can also be stimulated by rapid, shallow breathing). Thus, the result of focussed, deep, slow breathing is reduced heart rate, lowered blood pressure, reduced blood acidity, higher blood oxygen content, decreased stress hormone levels, etc. etc. etc.

Now, for those who look to the 'chi' model in meditation, you might choose to view the parasympathetic and sympathetic systems as part of the 'yin and yang' of chi. For me, I know that the controlled deep breathing works, and I have physiological evidence to back up the 'why' and 'how' of it. If my model is accurate, then the breathing involved in meditation is more important than the subject matter thought about (or not thought about) during meditation - at least for this particular laundry-list of benefits.

Your thoughts?

OP
P

PeaceWarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
Disclaimer: I'd like to add my $0.02, but I need to be very upfront and honest before I do. Without meaning any offense to anyone here, and with the deepest and most sincere respect for those who hold different views, I want to make it clear that I do NOT believe in 'chi', or meridians, or auras, or bio-force fields affecting our physical bodies or mental states. With that said, if you're still at all interested in some input from a skeptic who approaches meditation from an entirely physiological perspective, here goes:

Now back to my regularly-scheduled post: The autonomous nervous system regulates many important functions subconsciously. Critical fuctions that must continue at all times, such as breathing, are controlled without conscious thought, so that they continue even while sleeping, or under extreme duress (such as survival situations). Your body regulates all such functions through the complementary interaction of the two main components of the autonomous system: the sympathetic nervous system, and the parasympathetic nervous system.

The sympathetic nervous system is your body's primary defense system for high-stress survival situations. It is responsible for the so-called "fight-or-flight" response. When faced with life-threatening crises, this autonomous system kicks into gear without conscious thought and prepares you to respond to critical danger. Immediately, adrenaline and other corticosteroids are dumped into your bloodstream. These raise your heartrate, reduce your fine-motor coordination in favor of greatly increased gross-motor ability, constrict your pupils, raise your blood pressure, increase rapid, shallow respiration, make available a host of other steroids and hormones (including opium-like substances that assist in pain-tolerance), and generally prepare you to fight for your life or flee.

The parasympathetic nervous system is the counterbalance to the sympathetic system. After the danger has passed, this autonomous system automatically releases hormones that counteract and reduce the level of adrenaline and corticosteroids in your bloodstream. Blood acidity goes down, as CO2 levels are reduced, heart rate diminishes, blood pressure is lowered, pupils dilate, muscles relax, and respiration subsides to slower, deeper breaths.

These two systems work together to balance all the systems they affect (heartrate, breathing, blood pressure, blood pH level, hormonal levels, etc). If either system is overactive for too long, a dangerous health situation can result, and in our tensed-up, caffeinated, high-stress culture, generally, the sympathetic nervous system is running on continual overload. In order to restore a healthy balance, stimulation of the parasympathetic system is desireable.

Notice in the (rather long) list of physiological features that these two systems affect subconsciously, the breath rate is the only one that can also be controlled consciously. Experimentation has shown that the parasympathetic nervous system can be stimulated by simply breathing slower and more deeply (as the sympathetic system can also be stimulated by rapid, shallow breathing). Thus, the result of focussed, deep, slow breathing is reduced heart rate, lowered blood pressure, reduced blood acidity, higher blood oxygen content, decreased stress hormone levels, etc. etc. etc.

Now, for those who look to the 'chi' model in meditation, you might choose to view the parasympathetic and sympathetic systems as part of the 'yin and yang' of chi. For me, I know that the controlled deep breathing works, and I have physiological evidence to back up the 'why' and 'how' of it. If my model is accurate, then the breathing involved in meditation is more important than the subject matter thought about (or not thought about) during meditation - at least for this particular laundry-list of benefits.

Your thoughts?

Hi Ninjamom :)

Are you a ninja and a mom? Thats sweet! Anyways, I understand what you are getting at, and I appreciate your different perspective on the subject. I think its important for different views to be presented. But perhaps these physiological 'symptoms' of meditation are related to the flow of Chi in the meridians, and vice versa. I really do believe what you said is true, that it can be proved scientifically, and that it is valid and factual. But for me, it is impossible to separate physiological functions and chi flow. I believe the two are inter-related and indeed inseparable. I cant offer any concrete evidence, but I believe what I believe. The best evidence I can offer for chi is, when you walk across a carpet and touch a doorhandle, if you get a static discharge what does that tell you? If anything is a conductor of electricity, it is capable of holding a charge, much like a battery. Given the battery analogy, think of it like this: one hand/foot is positive, the other hand/foot is negative, and they are connected to the earth and draw a charge from it just like a plug in a socket. You dont have to believe me, but this is what I understand about it. Thank you for replying, and I hope we can continue this conversation :)

Peace

Keith

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Are you a ninja and a mom?
Ninja, no (actually, I'm a sword-wielding Taekwondista). Mom, yes, times 3.

But for me, it is impossible to separate physiological functions and chi flow. I believe the two are inter-related and indeed inseparable.
>
>
Given the battery analogy, think of it like this: one hand/foot is positive, the other hand/foot is negative, and they are connected to the earth and draw a charge from it just like a plug in a socket.
I understand what you are saying, even if I personally disagree. You have found 'chi' to be a useful model for understanding the exact same things as what I described, only from a different perspective. I have no problems with this at all.

Thank you for replying, and I hope we can continue this conversation :)
Thanks. I hope so, too. I enjoy discussing these types of things.

I especially appreciate that you allowed me the freedom to present my views on a subject about which we disagree. Thank you.

Latest Discussions