McGregor vs The Mountain

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Interesting to see how carefully big guys like that play. We had a 60 kilo guy try to escape top control of a 150kilo guy. That was fun.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sparred against a taller guy than that, but never one as heavy. Wouldn't want to either. :)

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
That's not sparring that's mcgregor doing a publicity stunt to inflame his already over the top ego. Hasn't he got a world title fight coming up that he should be doing real training for. Not sparring against some steroid actor who obviously hasn't trained a day in his life

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Not sparring against some steroid actor who obviously hasn't trained a day in his life

Steroid infused actor? You might want to actually read up on the guy before you try to bad mouth him. He's a strongman. He had a prospective career as a pro basketball player until he injured a knee but then only a few years later was competing in headline strongman competitions. He's a hard working man. Yes, this was a publicity stunt for McGregor but this was just Bjornsson having some fun.

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Steroid infused actor? You might want to actually read up on the guy before you try to bad mouth him. He's a strongman. He had a prospective career as a pro basketball player until he injured a knee but then only a few years later was competing in headline strongman competitions. He's a hard working man. Yes, this was a publicity stunt for McGregor but this was just Bjornsson having some fun.
Strongman? You do realise most of those guys are on steroids right? My sports lecturer in college used to do those but he quit because he knew the only way to get good results was to take steroids

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Strongman? You do realise most of those guys are on steroids right? My sports lecturer in college used to do those but he quit because he knew the only way to get good results was to take steroids

Just because some/most does it doesn't mean all. I know guys my height with an extra 50 lbs of muscle who can deadlift 500+ lbs (I'm not much of a lifter and can only do 325 lbs). Bjornnson, being 7 inches taller and over twice my weight can deadlift 992 lbs. With training, 2x body weight is realistic for most men and those with lots of dedication and the right genetics can make it up to 2.5 like Bjornnson.

OP
Tony Dismukes

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Probably most professional fighters are on steroids as well. They (fighters or strongmen) still have need of technique and hard work. The steroids (or other performance enhancing substances) mostly allow them to work out that much longer and harder and still be able to recover.

Obviously McGregor and Björnsson were just having fun here. It's not a serious, hardcore sparring match. Even so, there are interesting challenges to even a friendly match with someone who is almost three times your weight and is a serious athlete with some speed and agility.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That's not sparring that's mcgregor doing a publicity stunt to inflame his already over the top ego. Hasn't he got a world title fight coming up that he should be doing real training for. Not sparring against some steroid actor who obviously hasn't trained a day in his life

Agreed, it's not sparring. just some gentle messing around for PR.

But as for "who obviously hasn't trained a day in his life", oh, man, what you're looking at there is a superb athlete. And superb isn't a word I toss around easilly. He's over 400 pounds - and look at the lack of body fat on that man. He's moving around easilly, smoothly and on balance, all the while keeping stance. And he closes distance like a champ, especially in jeans and sneakers. Yes, he got tired, but the fight game is not his sport. Strongmen and power lifters train their asses off. I'm talking hard core training, brother, all day long.

As for steroids and "you do realize most of these guys are on steroids right?" That's kind of like saying "most young Karate guys are hyperbole driven Paper Tigers", which is not necessarily the case. I'd say there is as much steroid use in the Arts as there is in the Strongman world. - You know who's the most drug tested athlete competing today? In any sport? Ronda Rousey. Because that's the way the Martial fight world is these days.

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Agreed, it's not sparring. just some gentle messing around for PR.

But as for "who obviously hasn't trained a day in his life", oh, man, what you're looking at there is a superb athlete. And superb isn't a word I toss around easilly. He's over 400 pounds - and look at the lack of body fat on that man. He's moving around easilly, smoothly and on balance, all the while keeping stance. And he closes distance like a champ, especially in jeans and sneakers. Yes, he got tired, but the fight game is not his sport. Strongmen and power lifters train their asses off. I'm talking hard core training, brother, all day long.

As for steroids and "you do realize most of these guys are on steroids right?" That's kind of like saying "most young Karate guys are hyperbole driven Paper Tigers", which is not necessarily the case. I'd say there is as much steroid use in the Arts as there is in the Strongman world. - You know who's the most drug tested athlete competing today? In any sport? Ronda Rousey. Because that's the way the Martial fight world is these days.
Firstly I meant martial arts training. People think these huge muscle guys must be badasses but if you watch any fight boxing, mma, kickboxing. If there's a big guy with no technique fighting a small guy with technique will win. And yeah romda rousey is the most tested but how many times has she failed them. 0. I hate the idea of steroids in fighting. Fightings about testing who's skills are the best if you have to take steroids to win then you're a coward

EddieCyrax

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Firstly I meant martial arts training. People think these huge muscle guys must be badasses but if you watch any fight boxing, mma, kickboxing. If there's a big guy with no technique fighting a small guy with technique will win. And yeah romda rousey is the most tested but how many times has she failed them. 0. I hate the idea of steroids in fighting. Fightings about testing who's skills are the best if you have to take steroids to win then you're a coward

Lance Armstrong never failed a blood test during his reign as champ. Too much money too much advertising too much everything kept him from getting caught. It was only after the when the money go else where did it all come out.

I am not saying rousey is the same, I actually hope she is not, but it wouldn't surprise me....

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

What do you think taking steroids does for 'fighters'? Does it make their techniques better, them braver or a more savvy fighter?
What do you actually know about McGregor other than what you've seen on the television?
How do you know people think big men are 'badasses'?
The UFC isn't so much about testing fighting skills as making money, it's a business and does what businesses do, promote itself. the fighters promote themselves too, before you start boxers do as well as MT fighters, kick boxers etc etc. they are earning a living and what shouldn't they?
I'm not a fan of RONDA Rousey but you may want to think twice before accusing her of being on steroids.
professional fighting is just that a professional business so you may want to calm down and climb off the high horse. When you are off actually have a look at what the big guy does.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Probably most professional fighters are on steroids as well. They (fighters or strongmen) still have need of technique and hard work. The steroids (or other performance enhancing substances) mostly allow them to work out that much longer and harder and still be able to recover.

Obviously McGregor and Björnsson were just having fun here. It's not a serious, hardcore sparring match. Even so, there are interesting challenges to even a friendly match with someone who is almost three times your weight and is a serious athlete with some speed and agility.

The hardest thing is the weight. So where you might get away with some cheeky structure laziness in a guy your own size. You can risk breaking something if you are under a guy and everything isnt right.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Man, how did that very entertaining clip lead to this heated argument over steroids? I thought it was really amusing to see that huge guy, who looked surprisingly agile to me, play nice with McGregor who is only a bit bigger than I.

It reminded me of sparring with my son years ago when he was only eight or nine years old. The size difference was just like that. Besides boxing, we used to dig out the Lucha Libre masks I purchased across the border in Puerto Penasco, grab the big pillows and go crazy jumping on our bed, until in a mighty wind-up for my coup de grace, I took out the overhead light fixture and sprayed our bedroom with shards of glass. After that incident I was forced into retirement ...by my wife. :(

Koshiki

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I thought it was really amusing to see that huge guy, who looked surprisingly agile to me, play nice with McGregor who is only a bit bigger than I.

Yeah, I must say, when he actually threw a few playful strikes in the general vicinity, I was pretty startled at how fast they were! I'd love to have a regular, trained sparring buddy that much bigger though. I mean, at 145 pounds, a lot of guys are bigger than me, but not that much bigger! It really changes the game when you commit your whole body and just barely be able to best some guy's arm, in terms of strength. I was a little kid when I started at 11, at 65 pounds, I always felt like I was sparring the mountain. Those days were great.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Know thus is old now but just saw it and I reckon mcgregor would struggle here I mean he struggled with the size difference against Diaz so how on earth would he cope with thisthis

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Know thus is old now but just saw it and I reckon mcgregor would struggle here I mean he struggled with the size difference against Diaz so how on earth would he cope with thisthis

The dude gasses pretty quick.