McCain Picks A Woman

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
McCain said to choose Alaska gov as running mate

By LIZ SIDOTI, Associated Press Writer 4 minutes ago
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080829/ap_on_el_pr/cvn_veepstakes
DENVER - John McCain tapped little-known Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin to be his vice presidential running mate, two senior campaign officials told The Associated Press on Friday. A formal announcement was expected within a few hours at a campaign rally in swing-state Ohio.
Palin, 44, is a self-styled hockey mom and political reformer who has been governor of her state less than two years. Palin's selection was a stunning surprise, as McCain passed over many other better known prospects, some of whom had been the subject of intense speculation for weeks or months.
At 44, she is a generation younger that Sen. Joseph Biden of Delaware, who is Barack Obama's running mate on the Democratic ticket.
She is three years Obama's junior, as well — and McCain has made much in recent weeks of Obama's relative lack of experience in foreign policy and defense matters.
Well that's a brilliant and tactical move to win the presidency. Since the Dems have declined a woman a shot at one of the highest offices then the GOP's are going to see if it will help them win the race.
Slick move on their part I think.
Not that it matters to me either way. I still am one of those Undecideds.

God, isn't Democracy great??!

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The clueless but charismatic black guy with the old foggy
OR
The old tired guy with the hockey mom.

Oh boy.
I'm so voting Libertarian.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
as a tactical move it could be brilliant

I was hoping for Romney myself.

Doesnt matter tho.

it is easy to get people to vote for the admittedly charming Barrak when the alternative is Hillary

Getting people to vote for him whent he alternative is actually not a spawn of the devil?

thats a bit harder.

jkembry

Black Belt
Reaction score
It could a brilliant tactical move...but after the novelty wears off I think the race will indeed be interesting. But I am still way .... undecided.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
McCain Picks A Woman Almost as predictable as Obama picks a Career Politician...

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you say McCain picks a woman does he actually do it himself ( and Obama for that matter) or is it the party who choses? Is it voted on by anybody or do the candidates have free rein to pick anyone they want?
don't know how they go about these things!

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The pick is a good decision. While I would have preferred Tim Pawlenty or Charlie Crist, as the VP candidate, I much prefer Palin over Ridge.

Palin is a staunch conservative, and balances out McCain's reputation as a RINO.

Her character is impeccable, and is known for cleaning out the corruption in the Alaska state congress. She has high popularity ratings, which is quite impressive, considering the mess that Frank Murkowski left her. I was even more impressed with her in the 2006 election, since she was able to beat out the very popular, former 2-term governor, Tony Knowles, again, despite Murkowski's unpopular shadow hanging over her.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
When you say McCain picks a woman does he actually do it himself ( and Obama for that matter) or is it the party who choses? Is it voted on by anybody or do the candidates have free rein to pick anyone they want?

They actually choose their running mate, for the most part.....

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Good question!
As far as I know the Candidate vets a passel of people and chooses one, but, I assume the party leadership has some input. I really don't know that I have ever heard your question asked (or answered) before, so, I don't know.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think it was better in the old days when the #1 guy gets the presidency, and the #2 guy got the VP spot. No running mates.

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
My hat's off to McCain. Regardless of his intensions, seeing a woman in such a high position of power (in the USA) would be history in the making.
Blacks and women being considered for the oval office, damn strait Democracy is great thing.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Which I am sure had no impact at all on the choosing :angel:.

I used to stand with Winston Churchill when he said that Democracy was the worst form of government, apart from all of the others.

Now, sadly, it has become a farce, with figureheads chosen for their 'sale-ability' rather than ability to govern.

Bring back the days when debates across the House could end with swords drawn in the making of a point (the prevention of that is what the Mace at the end of the table used to be for, if anyone has ever wondered).

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I think it was better in the old days when the #1 guy gets the presidency, and the #2 guy got the VP spot. No running mates.

It didn't work then, why would it work now? They dumped it for a reason, can you imagine the VP being on network TV every afternoon critiqueing the presidential moves of the day?

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score
The clueless but charismatic black guy with the old foggy
OR
The old tired guy with the hockey mom.
Oh boy.
I'm so voting Libertarian.

Dang, can't please you at all. So who or what would you like to see in the white house? they're either to old or to young or to "normal". Whats wrong with a vice president that is a soccer mom, someone who can relate to the "common man" (or Woman)? Not only is she a soccer mom but she hunts as well. Thats what this country needs. His leadership and her youth is a winning combination IMO. Plus she is for oil drilling in Alaska as an alt means to getting oil rather than getting it all from the middle east and other countries.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Her character is impeccable, and is known for cleaning out the corruption in the Alaska state congress. She has high popularity ratings, which is quite impressive, considering the mess that Frank Murkowski left her. I was even more impressed with her in the 2006 election, since she was able to beat out the very popular, former 2-term governor, Tony Knowles, again, despite Murkowski's unpopular shadow hanging over her.

I read on another site that she is under investigation for abuse of power, something about getting a state trooper fired after he and her sister divorced, and repositioning some other higher up because he refused to fire the trooper?

But regardless, does she actually bring anything to the table apart from being a female? 2 years as governor of Alaska isn't a lot, and McCain's biggest criticism of Obama seemed to be lack of experience.

She's also got a 4 month old son with down syndrome... I feel sorry for that kid, campaigning has got to be quite the hectic life, especially for a special needs baby.

But if she's got a reputation for being honest and cleaning up corruption, maybe it will work out. But it seems a risky choice, could go either way for McCain.

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score
I read on another site that she is under investigation for abuse of power, something about getting a state trooper fired after he and her sister divorced, and repositioning some other higher up because he refused to fire the trooper?

But regardless, does she actually bring anything to the table apart from being a female? 2 years as governor of Alaska isn't a lot, and McCain's biggest criticism of Obama seemed to be lack of experience.

She's also got a 4 month old son with down syndrome... I feel sorry for that kid, campaigning has got to be quite the hectic life, especially for a special needs baby.

But if she's got a reputation for being honest and cleaning up corruption, maybe it will work out. But it seems a risky choice, could go either way for McCain.

Does that matter? At least she takes a positive stand on something (pro life) and doesn't flip flop back and forth just to get votes like Obama did. She could have aborted her down syndrome child but she didn't. I respect her for that. And she is VERY much for alaska oil drilling.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dang, can't please you at all. So who or what would you like to see in the white house? they're either to old or to young or to "normal". Whats wrong with a vice president that is a soccer mom, someone who can relate to the "common man" (or Woman)? Not only is she a soccer mom but she hunts as well. Thats what this country needs. His leadership and her youth is a winning combination IMO. Plus she is for oil drilling in Alaska as an alt means to getting oil rather than getting it all from the middle east and other countries.
A return to Jeffersonianism, a smaller government, that protects my rights, doesn't look for reasons to justify a camera on every corner, and that actually follows the Constitution.
Oh, and that buys me ice creme. :)

As to McCain, if he wins he sets a precedent for women.
If Obama wins, he sets a precedent for minorities.
Either way, it's good. I think.

Picking who he picked is a smart move though. She does bring experience, given she's a former mayor and sitting governor. She's been in the hot-seat, unlike Obama who has always (I believe) been part of a group. She's made decisions while Obama's sat on committees. I'm not sure how she compares to Lieberman ATM though.

Latest Discussions