McCain Chickens out of Debate.

Karatedrifter7

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Below is copied by Frank Schaeffer.

McCain's poll members are tanking. The war and deficit-driven economic Armageddon that McCain, the Republicans and President Bush unleashed is in full flower. McCain's joke running mate's has to be protected from the press, but claims she's ready to go up against the world's dictators. McCain's creeping senility becomes more evident each day as he stumbles around confused as a punch drunk boxer. His cynicism also deepens, as he sells out to the racists and the Religious Right's extreme America-hating lunatic fringe gearing up for last ditch smears. In other words McCain's campaign has had a disfiguring accident. Time to cut and run.
McCain and the Republicans have no new policies or ideas. The dollar is in freefall, along with our pensions, home values and chances of a good retirement or job. Our standing in the world is at rock bottom. What's left for McCain?
Posturing and tricks. Ducking the debate is one such trick.
McCain and his party have brought us to the crisis point on Wall Street. Now they want to be seen contributing a "solution" to the mess of their making.
So... McCain can kill two birds with one stone by ducking the debate: get out of debating Obama for a few days, and try to figure out what his position is on the economy that he helped destroy. He can also try and briefly appear "presidential" as McCain hustles back to Washington to help "fix" the economy undermined by him and the Republicans.
McCain is the spoiled son of privilege who has -- time and again -- gotten away with pulling a fast one. Ask his first wife who he abandoned after she stopped looking as cute as he demanded she look following her car accident. Ask the people cheated by the Keeting Five rip off bankers McCain helped empower. Ask the US military that have paid for Bush/McCain's hubris. Ask former lifelong Republicans -- like me -- who have watched our party become the face of intolerant American Fascism, and McCain become a grasping shill trying to ride to victory on the backs of the people he knows are human garbage: racists, fundamentalist TV rip-off preachers, and rubes everywhere...
McCain postponing the debate is not a surprise nor is it statesmanship "for the good of the country." It's the next act of a lying bully trying to figure out what his next lie is, as the truth starts to catch up.
McCain just blinked. He is running out of lies, and knows it... my friends.
Frank Schaeffer is the author of CRAZY FOR GOD-How I Grew Up As One Of The Elect, Helped Found The Religious Right, And Lived To Take All (Or Almost All) Of It Back. NOW IN PAPERBACK

McCain's poll members are tanking. The war and deficit-driven economic Armageddon that McCain, the Republicans and President Bush unleashed is in full flower. McCain's joke running mate's has to be p...
McCain's poll members are tanking. The war and deficit-driven economic Armageddon that McCain, the Republicans and President Bush unleashed is in full flower. McCain's joke running mate's has to be p...

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
It didn't work for Carter, I doubt this gambit will work for McCain. At least Carter had plausibility on his side - he was actually President during the hostage crisis.

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
So, if they reschedule the debates and McCain participates, will you take back that venomous diatribe and admit you were wrong??

Just curious.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
How much easier it is to be critical than to be correct.
- Benjamin Disraeli

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It mcCain is sincere, then this move proves his strength of character

if it is political posturing, it is genius.

saying 'the country is more important, we need to work to fix this, then go back to the campaign" and DARING obama to do the same.

The obama refuses.

the undecided? they just saw what is more important to Obama than fixing the country. His campaign.

Obama may have just thrown the election away

Sorry Drifter, you and your source are just incorrect, IMO

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Uh McCain uh isn't uh the uh one uh who uh has uh trouble uh talking uh without uh a uh teleprompter.
(Sorry, I know that is 5-10 uh's short of standard Obama)

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's interesting to see the huge difference in interpretation of the same events.

Personally, I think it's a political move on McCains part to garner more attention and continue to push Obama/and that other guy farther into the shadows.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Both Treasury secretary Paulson and Harry Reid said if McCain did not come to Washington for this it had no hope of passing.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
Of course it's a politcal move, but...

McCain is actually suspending his campaign to do his job...he's a Senator and this is the most serious issue of our time and should require the attention of every single Senator on Capital Hill.

Obama is unwilling to suspend his campaign to do his job...he's supposed to be a Senator as well.

Obama is making a huge mistake here, especially since he has the stigma of being a politician who can't or won't make decisions. He's been continuously attacked for his voting record as an IL State Senator for voting "present" most of the time instead of "yes" or "no".

This was an opportunity for Obama to step up and do something that would deflate that claim, but he simply makes yet another horrible decision that will ultimately hurt his campaign.

Obama's decision making during his campaign is terrible.... If it's an indication of the type of decisions he'd make as President...well...you can do the math.

"Obama...the only candidate that could snatch defeat from the jaws of victory."

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think we're in a precarious spot with his call to back out of debate and focus on the financial crisis.

I think there may soon be a call to delay the election and prolong the Bush idio... er, I mean ... presidency.

Kwanjang

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
It's interesting to see the huge difference in interpretation of the same events.

Personally, I think it's a political move on McCains part to garner more attention and continue to push Obama/and that other guy farther into the shadows.

Spot on obsevation Bob!

Kwanjang

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Of course it's a politcal move, but...

McCain is actually suspending his campaign to do his job...he's a Senator and this is the most serious issue of our time and should require the attention of every single Senator on Capital Hill.

Obama is unwilling to suspend his campaign to do his job...he's supposed to be a Senator as well.

Obama is making a huge mistake here, especially since he has the stigma of being a politician who can't or won't make decisions. He's been continuously attacked for his voting record as an IL State Senator for voting "present" most of the time instead of "yes" or "no".

This was an opportunity for Obama to step up and do something that would deflate that claim, but he simply makes yet another horrible decision that will ultimately hurt his campaign.

Obama's decision making during his campaign is terrible.... If it's an indication of the type of decisions he'd make as President...well...you can do the math.

"Obama...the only candidate that could snatch defeat from the jaws of victory."

Nice Post Sir!!

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score

If only one of my alternate universe clones could let me know the partisan responses from the world where Sen. Obama suspends his campaigning, but Sen. McCain doesn't.

Oh wait, I just got a strange email from an Sen. Obama supporter.

"McCain's poll members are tanking. The war and deficit-driven economic Armageddon that McCain, the Republicans and President Bush unleashed is in full flower and McSame hasn't suspended his campaign like Sen. Obama? Doesn't McSame care about the economy or the American people. People are losing their homes at records rates and all McSame can think about is getting on with the debates and running for president while the rest of us are in crisis mode."

Wow the email just faded away. . .but there was something about lipstick, an expensive dress, and other very important campaign issues.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Those two in Washington dealing with this would turn into a media circus, the best thing either of them could do is be involved from a distance and take on the public debate, keeping attention on them so that people can actually work. But to put themselves, and all the press that comes with them right now in the middle of that mess would add to the problem, not help.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
IPersonally, I think it's a political move on McCains part to garner more attention and continue to push Obama/and that other guy farther into the shadows.

I agree. It's intended to make him look like he's powerful enough to suggest and make such changes, and to give him a hammer to use against his opponent if not; and it's intended to shield his weakness relative to his opponent, who is a better public speaker.

I liked the response from the Obama campaign: A president needs to be able to multitask. The debate goes on.

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I liked the response from the Obama campaign: A president needs to be able to multitask. The debate goes on.
I like the response from Obama...he followed McCain's lead back to congress to lend his support. Obama is very good at following.

Insofar as "multitasking." We can only switch from one thing to another and focus our attention, unless we are performing a task (like playing guitar, juggling or other mechanical movements) which are sufficiently encoded in our neural net.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
apparently not since McCain gained 4 points since yesterday in the polls from doing this..................

http://primebuzz.kcstar.com/?q=node/14624

John McCain has pulled back into a tie with Barack Obama in the presidential race, according to Gallup's latest daily tracking poll. The poll indicates that 46 percent of registered voters right now are backing both candidates.
Why? Who the hell knows. This polling does include initial reaction to McCain suspending his campaign, though.

Latest Discussions