Master Wong - Legit?

Th0mas

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The thing to remember that there is marketing and then there is reality. The two may bare no relationship with each other. Master Wong is clearly a very talented marketeer which means it is practically impossible to judge the reality from the marketing material.

I suspect first hand experience or second hand experience from sources you trust will be the only way to judge.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
The thing to remember that there is marketing and then there is reality. The two may bare no relationship with each other. Master Wong is clearly a very talented marketeer which means it is practically impossible to judge the reality from the marketing material.

I suspect first hand experience or second hand experience from sources you trust will be the only way to judge.

I've conversed with guys that have attended workshops with him in the UK that have said he is a good instructor and does some good stuff. For what that's worth.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He is based in Ipswich. I did try to find out something about him from someone up in those parts, but had moved sadly.

Old Judoka

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
OK. I see that. So what do you make of it? Do you think Master Wong has been watching Leung Ting videos or trained with some LT guys?

More importantly, where did he get those sound-effects? Hmmm, Hmm, Hmm, HMMMMM?

OK. I see that. So what do you make of it? Do you think Master Wong has been watching Leung Ting videos or trained with some LT guys?

More importantly, where did he get those sound-effects? Hmmm, Hmm, Hmm, HMMMMM?

Hi Geez, here is an MW demonstration of Tan Sao Fok Sao (sp). I'm kinda liking it until he says Tan Sao can be like this, or this or this. While WC is supposed to be concept based, it seems like it is supposed to adhere to some structure. Thoughts?....................

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi Geez, here is an MW demonstration of Tan Sao Fok Sao (sp). I'm kinda liking it until he says Tan Sao can be like this, or this or this. While WC is supposed to be concept based, it seems like it is supposed to adhere to some structure. Thoughts?....................
If anything he is entertaining.

Mr.J

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
For all of you out there that question Master Wong, let me clarify something. He was taught PAN NAM wing chun, which is a vietnamese version of wing chun. For those of you out there, there are literally one dozen different styles of wing chun, ranging from Ip Man's version, to Pan Nam, to all the FLAG wing chuns (white, black green, red,yellow) that isn't even REAL WING CHUN because it uses the five animal system as opposed to the crane and snake in Ip Man's version. So I can understand your confusion. But Master Wong also does modified wc, JKD, and Kali, so when you use his tutorials, make sure to use the ten concepts of TRADITIONAL wing chun as your guideline (IF you are learning Ip Man's version). If it falls under the edicts of the ten concepts, then use it. If not, then discard it, it is not TRADITIONAL wing chun.

I agree and I postulate one step further that like all things wing chun evolves over time the only ones who knew traditional wing chun. Is wing chun her self and those she taught and were taught 20 years after her death. After that it's kinda like the grape vine effect with each person adding or subtracting something over the years. Which is how you get those tenets. There is only one true tenant of wing chun the middle way. All others are an expansion of that concept. i know nothing though. also because there are many master Wongs is this the master Wong you were talking about Home ? When you referred to the pan nam wing chun? And as for his claim to master. True mastery starts with the self.

"A man who knows himself need not fear the outcome of a thousand battles." (Look it up)

Mr.J

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I actually love master wong. Reasons being:
-he's a fit man who obviously trains very hard and loves martial arts and exercise.
-he wont talk crap on other styles or as he says "when you dont know (about) something, it's best to keep your gob shut" with a few expletives in there aha
-he's just a wacky character.
his martial arts view/techniques and just persona may not be up some peoples alley but I find he's just a very enthusiastic, hard training individual who likes to share a lot of videos which is a okay in my book

I think it's because he doesn't like to be on camera. So he builds a show persona to insulate his true self.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think it's because he doesn't like to be on camera. So he builds a show persona to insulate his true self.

To the contrary, I think he loves to be on camera. The guy's a natural comedian. Very entertaining.

Even people that don't like his WC enjoy his videos.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
To the contrary, I think he loves to be on camera. The guy's a natural comedian. Very entertaining.

Even people that don't like his WC enjoy his videos.
Entertain...that is his marketability.
And we are helping him by exposing others through talking about him. Am not a fan of his Martial style but he is fun to watch.

D

Dylan9d

What?? That is ridiculous!! How did you come up with that theory? I trained with Grandmaster Cheung's top students, and let me tell you, WILLIAM CHEUNG IS NO JOKE! I wouldn't give you a NICKEL to learn ANYTHING from Leung Ting or Boztepe, but I would definitely pay to learn from Grandmaster William Cheung!

Didn't William Cheung get his *** kicked by Emin Boztepe on a seminar in the past?

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
^^^^^ I don't think age had anything to do with it. Jumping someone during their seminar on a slick gym floor where both people fell to the ground and ended up flailing around was more a factor than anything. I wouldn't call that exchange a real example of Wing Chun skills comparison.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
^^^^^ I don't think age had anything to do with it. Jumping someone during their seminar on a slick gym floor where both people fell to the ground and ended up flailing around was more a factor than anything. I wouldn't call that exchange a real example of Wing Chun skills comparison.

So one thing I take away from that is that kung fu slippers suck. Gym shoes all the way! Hard to see in that old video, but I believe Emin had better shoes! :)

Reactions: KPM

Old Judoka

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi All,

I can confirm that Michael Wong practices Pan Nam Wing Chun kuen (I have studied PNWCK also). I have no idea about his Sifu's/Lineage etc.

In addition I can also say that he executes his PNWCK differently than how it is normally practiced within the system. He seems to practice it as more of an external system (you can see this). He will say otherwise, that his system is internal. I don't see this. Loud breathing does not equal internal...

I give a little bit of credit to the fact he wants to stand on his own two feet. You can't argue that what he practices and teaches is distinctly his own expression of the art!

Here is a video of Pan Nam's version of Biu Jee I believe. It's label Sil Lum Tao, but I don't think that is correct. It was shot in 1993 like two years before he died. Hope the link works.

Last edited:

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
<snip, I got a bit unnecessarily rude>

Here's Pan Nam's version of BJ though if anyone's curious:

Latest Discussions