Master and GrandMasters

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What is everybody takes on them, do we really have any that are in the game anymore that are not looking out for themself? How has their perspective of the Art change over the years and the quality of what they teach? Do they really care anout there students base anymore? What can we do as MA to preserve the intregrity of the Art?

Last edited by a moderator:

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What is everybody takes on them, do we really have any that are in the game anymore that are not looking out for themself?

Yes - GM Lang, GM Steiner, Master Arnold. There are a few others, but those are the ones I know the most about.

How has there perspective of the Art change over the years and the quality of what they teach?

I have only known GM Steiner for 9 or 10 years, and only known him reasonably well for the last several (I originally met him when he was instructing at a camp I attended) so I can't speak as much about his improvement, but I do know that he is constantly improving his skills - both personally and as an instructor. GM Lang constantly questions what he has learned and goes back over all the information he has collected over the decades he's been in TKD and wrings out the tiniest bits of meaning. He and GM Steiner have known each other a long time, and I know they work together with a group of other masters and GMs. I've known Master Arnold the longest - he was a II Dan when I started learning TKD from him in 1987 - and he is always striving to learn more, to understand more, to teach what he knows more clearly, etc. All 3 have a massive amount of information, and are very skilled at interpreting it and passing it on to others.

Do they really care anout there students base anymore?

Yes... at least, the ones I know do. I can't speak for the ones I don't know.

What can we do as MA to preserve the intregrity of the Art?
Continue to train, continue to teach, hold true to our own integrity as students and instructors.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kacey I agree with the ones you have mention and I love to read about others, maybe some other folks here will bring some new names to the limelight.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What is everybody takes on them, do we really have any that are in the game anymore that are not looking out for themself?

I believe that there are quite a few out there..Grandmasters, Pellegrini, Shuey, Wallace, are the only one's I have interacted..They care enough to take the extra effort to talk to the attendees at seminars, they just don't don't show up, teach and then leave...

How has their perspective of the Art change over the years and the quality of what they teach?

They have added techniques that they feel will work and taken away some that do not..

Do they really care about there students base anymore?

Yes, I know for a fact that GM Pellegrini has gotten into the faces of those who hold ICHF charters because they were not following the curriculum and letting new students " skate" through the Gup ranks..

What can we do as MA to preserve the intregrity of the Art?

To quote Kacey," Continue to train, continue to teach, hold true to our own integrity as students and instructors"..

Last edited:
OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes Drac those that you mention does hold true to there beliefs, Thanks for mentioning them again.

Father Greek

Green Belt
Reaction score
I also Agree with Drac. To add a couple of Masters that most of you will not know, I add the names Master David Rivas and Master Mark Gridley. These two younger Masters are promoting and maintaining the integrety of their respective arts as well as Combat Hapkido. Master Rivas in Ground Survival and Master Gridley in Anatomical Targeting Strategies(pressure points). They too maintain their training and never rest on their laurels. They are always looking for ways to improve training for for those that are interested.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Master Fine I will add you and I agree Master Rivas, if this is the right one under Pelligrini?

Father Greek

Green Belt
Reaction score
Master Fine I will add you and I agree Master Rivas, if this is the right one under Pelligrini?

Terry, many thanks for that and yes that is Master David Rivas under Grandmaster Pellegrini. It is also people like you (don''t know if you are considered Master in your style: but should be) that help further the ideals and thoughts of the Arts. I can say that about many of the people that I have met in person through MT!:yinyang:

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
What is my take on them?
There are very many on paper, but precious few who actually fit the decription. Even fewer American-born. Teaching sparring and point fighting seminars does not qualify you to be a Grandmaster. Grandmaster and master mean you have achieved very senior level in your art for contributing to various aspects of it. Additionally, Grandmaster means you contribute to the development of Taekwondo on the national and international stage and help guide it for future generations. Very heavy responsibility.

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
Of course, I'm a bit biased. I'll mention Grandmaster Kim Soo. Though he's not really a Taekwondo teacher, he's done many things to try and help show a positive light for Taekwondo.

The following link is about his 1994 trip and interview to Russia. He also published a book in Russia on Taekwondo in 2000. The link to it all is here: http://www.kimsookarate.com/articles/omsk-interview.html

R. McLain

Latest Discussions