Massachusetts BS!

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
I got a letter from my Blue Cross/ Blue Shield telling me that they are going to cancel me as a customer. Why? Because the Commonwealth of Massachusetts has passed a new law that says if you're employer provides the adequate insurance, as mandated, you HAVE to take that and CANNOT purchase health coverage independently!
First comes the state telling you that you HAVE TO HAVE health insurance, now they say WHO and WHERE you HAVE TO get it from. Free market? A consumer's right to spend their money how and where they wish? Guess not! I wonder what's next to come? Maybe the order that if a McDonald's is closer to you, you HAVE to eat there and not at Burger King or someone else. Ridiculous and seemingly illegal and definitely crossing the line! Anyone have a state that makes these demands?

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Darn it, as a conservative I'm against socialized medicine. Then as a conservative I'm POed that a conservative republican governor signed the bill that put socialized medicine in Mass.
Then again, as a conservative I'm happy to see the issues arise. I'm also sad that it causes people problems...and so does capitalist medicine.

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...llions-williams-heads-south-for-heart-surgery

At least while we have a capitalist medical system the elites from Canada and Europe have a place to go for specialty care. What are they going to do when these advanced procedures fade away because the government deems them too expensive and unnecassary. Mitt Romney probably won't become president because of his "fix" for healthcare.

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
More ezekiel emanuel and his health care positions.

This looks like it is the complete article from the Lancet. Haven't had time to look at the whole thing but this may completely cover his position on health care rationing according to age and usefulness. Be very afraid.

http://econopundit.com/ezekiel_emmauel.pdf

"...supports modifying the youngest-first principle by prioritising adolescents and young adults over infants..."

"...Adolescents have received substantial education and parental care, investments that will be wasted without a complete life. Infants, by contrast, have not yet received these investments. Similarly, adolescence brings with it a developed personality capable of forming and valuing long-term plans whose fulfilment requires a complete life.77 As the legal philosopher Ronald Dworkin argues, “It is terrible when an infant dies, but worse, most people think, when a three-year-old child dies and worse still when an adolescent does”;78 this argument is supported by empirical surveys.41,79 Importantly, the prioritisation of adolescents and young adults considers the social and personal investment that people are morally entitled to have received at a particular age, rather than accepting the results of an unjust status quo..."

"A young person with a poor prognosis has had few life-years but lacks the potential to live a complete life. Considering prognosis forestalls the concern that disproportionately large amounts of resources will be directed to young people with poor prognoses.42 When the worst-off can benefit only slightly while better-off people could benefit greatly, allocating to the better-off is often justifiable."

"When implemented, the complete lives system produces a priority curve on which individuals aged between roughly 15 and 40 years get the most substantial chance, whereas the youngest and oldest people get chances that are attenuated (figure).78 It therefore superficially resembles
www.thelancet.com Vol 373 January 31, 2009
Probability of receiving an intervention
the proposal made by DALY advocates; however, the complete lives system justifies preference to younger people because of priority to the worst-off rather than instrumental value. Additionally, the complete lives system assumes that, although life-years are equally valuable to all, justice requires the fair distribution of th..."

Last edited by a moderator:

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Dudes, the prescription drugs in the US kill more people then automobile accidents. Before posters start thinking a profit motive system is hot ****, just remember that big pharma makes more money killing you slowly then if they would if they simply prevented the disease in the first place.

And the US is poised to start putting statin drugs, lithium, and hormones in the water along side the fluoride. Also, big pharma's got a hard on a mile long to force us to take every vaccine they can produce. If the US combines state control with profit motive, you literally will see everyone dying slowly while slowly leached of all their wealth.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
and it is all a conspiracy of the Illuminati the Bilderbergers, the Masons and the Stonecutters...

Yeah, you're right, that's so crazy, never mind, take all of the drugs, let the government put them in your water, let them mandate vaccines everywhere. They are all safe and are certainly for your own good, because you're too stressed and busy to take care of your own health and you need someone, a mentor, a big brother, to take care of you and keep you safe, and make sure the boogy men with turbans and funky accents don't blow themselves while you shop at Wal-Mart, to make sure you're not growing unsafe vegetables in your back yard, to make sure you don't get any impure thoughts inside your placid mind.

Roll up your sleeves and do your patriotic duty. Open your mouth and pop some pills for Liberty!

Love us because we know best, we are the experts from Merck, from Monsanto, from Haliburton, we're not the evil government who would stomp on your patriotism and strangle your liberty like a baby in a bathtub. We love you and we want you to be free and that's why we spend billions to make sure the evil government does exactly what we say. Just remember to tell your doctors if you are feeling bad about this or anxious, we are putting all of that information in a data base and we'll deliver some pills right to your door that will placate your worry...that will ameliorate your sin.

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have never understood the need of people, especially people who tend to be on the liberal side of the aisle, to want to tell other people how to live their lives. They want to tell you what sort of insurance you can have, which is government controlled health care, they want to tell you how much water your toilet can flush, how much salt you can have at a restaraunt, the list goes on. Guys like Romney fall into the trap thinking that they can fix something like healthcare by using government mandates. It is like the Lord of the Rings. Government is the ring of power. People think that they can focus and direct government action to do good things. Before they know it you are forced to do stupid things you would never do on your own. The very government action meant to do good, ends up creating a bigger mess.

I was listening to Dennis Prager today while I filled in at work. He pointed out that 40 million people didn't have insurance coverage. That, he said is about 12 percent of the insurable population. To get 12 percent of the people insurance coverage, Obama is going to destroy the coverage of all the rest of the people. Government is the ring of power and politicians become its ring wraiths.

OP
Hand Sword

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
Not mocking, honestly curious and baffled... Is that why we HAVe to take employer coverage and not buy our own? Only the uninsured can get their own? From my view, who the hell should care where you get it, as long as you have it. If you willingly pay for it on your own--GREAT! The Government shouldn't care and say that's unacceptable.

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wait till obama care really hits in 2014, when Obama is free and clear from elected office. The democrats have wanted single payer(government controlled health care) for a long time. It gives them access to just about everything you do, in the name of keeping costs down. Obama said that if you like your healthcare, your doctor, you can keep them. What he didn't say was how he was going to get you on the government plan. If your company does not offer health insurance in 2014, then they will be fined for each employee not covered. The fine is much smaller than actual health insurance fees. There will be no incentive for your employer to offer health insurance, they will just dump everyone onto the government plan. Once people are on the gov. healthcare, who will they be more likely to vote into power? People who want to end "free" healthcare, or those who want to keep it going. We are talking about life and death and who controls access to medicine. That is a lot of power.

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've had bad luck with cars. They should pass a law requiring everyone to pay for insurance in case of car breakdown.
Wait, that's unreasonable?

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Handsword, I am currently reading Thomas Sowell's book, "Intellectuals and Society." If you own a kindle or happen to be at a Borders or Barnes and Noble, take a quick look at Chapter 4. He discusses the differences between the people who force you to get insurance and those who don't. He describes the two camps as those who believe themselves "anointed" and those who follow a more tragic "real" view of the world. He really breaks down these differences well, and they go to your root problem with your insurance.

Latest Discussions