Martial Talk's definition of Muay Thai???

AdrenalineJunky

Black Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone think that this is a little inadequate for Martial Talk's definition of Muay Thai?

Muay Thai Practicing Muay Thai is a vigorous workout and produces tremendous cardiovascular endurance.

LOL :idunno:

I think we should put something together for these fine ladies and gents, and request they use it. . .what does everyone else think?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Definitely!

Muay Thai is the traditional Thai sport of kickboxing. It is known for its tough training and its distinctive roundhouse kick.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I say, if the MTMT community can write up a good description (say 4-5 lines?) I'll gladly consider it for usage. :)

OP
A

AdrenalineJunky

Black Belt
Reaction score
Muay Thai is commonly referred to as the "science of eight limbs," and is Thailand's national sport. Muay Thai is derived from the hand-to-hand aspect of the ancient Siamese art known as, "Krabi Krabong;" and was once performed for the entertainment of the King of Siam. Muay Thai is known for its distinct rituals, incredible conditioning, devastating round (Thai) kicks and the merciless use of knees and elbows.

I embellished a little and I realize that it's a tad longer than 5 lines; but it's a much better synopsis, IMHO.

OP
A

AdrenalineJunky

Black Belt
Reaction score
Muay Thai is the traditional Thai sport of kickboxing. It is known for its tough training and its distinctive roundhouse kick.

*Whispers* Shhh! We do not use the "kickboxing" word when talking about Muay Thai, lol.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'll give folks til tomorow evening to comment, then, if its all cool, I'll put it up. :)

Now....anyone want to team up for a FAQ? :D

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Although 'Ouch' is succinct and quite accurate, it lacks a certain something. I vote for AJ's description with the addition of 'TonyJaaTonyJaaTonyJaaTonyJaaTonyJaa'

partially irreverently,

egg

OP
A

AdrenalineJunky

Black Belt
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard said:
I'll give folks til tomorow evening to comment, then, if its all cool, I'll put it up. :)

Now....anyone want to team up for a FAQ? :D

I'm down. . .I'll even do a works cited list so people can get more information on it. I'm pretty-well up on my history, generally speaking, and particularly in regards to Muay Thai.

OP
A

AdrenalineJunky

Black Belt
Reaction score
OnlyAnEgg said:
Although 'Ouch' is succinct and quite accurate, it lacks a certain something. I vote for AJ's description with the addition of 'TonyJaaTonyJaaTonyJaaTonyJaaTonyJaa'

partially irreverently,

egg

Please be careful with Tony Jaa (Phanom Yeerum). If memory serves, (you may need to check this for accuracy) Jaa started out with TKD/gymnastics and then began training in the Boran style of Muay Thai and Krabi Krabong. Either way, it is clear from Ong Bak (to which I confesss to being an addict) that many of the arial stunts are not strictly Muay Thai, Boran style or otherwise.

In my own personal opinion, one of my favorite Thai fighters never really got a whole lot of play in the film industry: Paulo Tocha.

OP
A

AdrenalineJunky

Black Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
A bibliography would be great, yes!

The only problem with Siamese history is that, sometimes, it can be quite difficult to determine what is academically accepted history, and what is traditional folklore. Even scholars are sort of guessing, many times.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
AdrenalineJunky said:
Either way, it is clear from Ong Bak (to which I confesss to being an addict) that many of the arial stunts are not strictly Muay Thai, Boran style or otherwise.

I stand corrected. Ong Bak is also in my top 5 MA movies at this point. I know he's not strictly MT; but, cool anyway.

Sorry to be so presumptuous.

Solidman82

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I think we need to find better abbreviations and acronyms for Muay Thai and Martial Talk. It gets slightly confusing

OP
A

AdrenalineJunky

Black Belt
Reaction score
Solidman82 said:
I think we need to find better abbreviations and acronyms for Muay Thai and Martial Talk. It gets slightly confusing

How about: T.B.M.A.R.M.A.O.T.P. ? Does that make things easier? :idunno:

Latest Discussions