Martial arts shouldn't take years to learn.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Most of the time, a new student won't be able to get the most important information out of a picture.

What's wrong in the following picture?

bad_head_lock.jpg
my point was pictures are a better,way of storing information for the illiterates, the fact that you are,writing means that doesn't apply to you

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'd argue otherwise. If you can't defend takedowns, your likelihood of succeeding in a fight goes down dramatically if the other guy decides to take you down and is even somewhat athletic (bonus points if he played American football, rugby, or hockey).
Ok, feel how you like about it. I stand by my position: very little is actually needed to be a good fighter, if you have the will and the spirit.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
But remember the footage of the Chinese wushu master who accepted the challenge of the Chinese MMA fighter and lost in a few seconds? All his many years of "character improvement" flew out the window the moment he even accepted such a challenge.
You talking about this guy? He's not a master of anything but con-job-do.

EddieCyrax

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It's posts like this that make understand Bruce Lee's frustration with all the "masters."

You do realize that Bruce Lee's Jun Fan Gung Fu later to be commercialized as Jeet Kune Do was basically (over simplified here) his interpretation of Wing Chun.

He had a back ground in TMA, and to that fact incorporated many pieces of different styles into his version. He never discredited the TMA for their lack of capability, but only the rigid belief one could not learn from other styles that was prevalent back then.

It sounds like your knowledge of Mr. Lee is limited to his movies and a few interviews....

Last edited:

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
You can buy a guitar in a pawn shop and join a garage band. You might even become rich and famous. But to "master" playing the guitar takes years...maybe a lifetime. So, the lead singer of ...I don't know "Modest Mouse"...may say "it isn't necessary", but that's a very limited perspective, like the 15 year old Thai Boxer.

I can read a book or watch a YouTube video and learn to install or repair a light fixture, but that doesn't make me a master electrician. For my purposes, it wasn't necessary to be, but that doesn't mean that it's not a real thing or that it isn't valuable.

I can hack together a website or a phone app, but that doesn't make a computer scientist.

...etc...ad nauseam...

We're living the age of the death of expertise. People are famous for being famous (Instagram Famous), people have jobs that they have done nothing to prepare for...some of the most important jobs in the world, in fact. I reject the notion that expertise and mastery are not valuable, even so. Martial Arts is no exception. It all comes down to what you value.

Tarrycat

Green Belt
Reaction score
I can only speak for myself & the knowledge I've gained over the years of training Martial Arts.

Someone here said that in boxing, Krav Maga, etc; there aren't that much techniques for you to learn, which I agree with.

I have boxed, I have observed attentively the techniques of Krav Maga & what all these sports or fighting techniques have in common is this: lack of variety in different fields of energy.

What I mean by that, is all of those techniques mostly require force & strength. They are explosive; which doesn't really require the same skills as Martial Arts does.

I have found that it is MUCH easier for me to revert to an explosive technique built upon strength, than to transform all of my energy into kata that requires me to move like the wind, the earth, fire, & water.

Most Martial Arts kata requires you to move based on the different elements (mentioned above). It requires you to shift ALL of your energy into a specific element; & actually perfecting a technique like that is what takes so much time. Why? Because we don't live in those different states of energy on a daily basis. From the day you were born, you've only grown accustomed to ONE state of energy, & to now transform that energy you've lived with your entire life into other states of energy; THAT is where the struggle, the time, & the effort comes into play.

If I had to compare myself to my Sensei, there would be NO comparison. He can tranform his void energy into any other element, & one would not notice the shift in his energy, only in his kata. Why? Because he's been doing it for YEARS. THIS is where the "mastery" concept comes into play.

Martial Arts is all about energy, & connecting to your higher self. It's about the vibration of the atoms in your body & tuning into those vibrations.

This is why beginners will practice kata in steps, rather than in a flowing motion. Or they will do the kata, & then pause, disrupting the energy they started with - they are not used to it. They continue to shut the element's energy off, & revert back to the energy they're used to.

I don't know if all Martial Arts divisions requires you to shift into the different elements, but Ninjutsu does.

It's the only way I can put it into words for you.

FighterTwister

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I can only speak for myself & the knowledge I've gained over the years of training Martial Arts.

Someone here said that in boxing, Krav Maga, etc; there aren't that much techniques for you to learn, which I agree with.

I have boxed, I have observed attentively the techniques of Krav Maga & what all these sports or fighting techniques have in common is this: lack of variety in different fields of energy.

What I mean by that, is all of those techniques mostly require force & strength. They are explosive; which doesn't really require the same skills as Martial Arts does.

I have found that it is MUCH easier for me to revert to an explosive technique built upon strength, than to transform all of my energy into kata that requires me to move like the wind, the earth, fire, & water.

Most Martial Arts kata requires you to move based on the different elements (mentioned above). It requires you to shift ALL of your energy into a specific element; & actually perfecting a technique like that is what takes so much time. Why? Because we don't live in those different states of energy on a daily basis. From the day you were born, you've only grown accustomed to ONE state of energy, & to now transform that energy you've lived with your entire life into other states of energy; THAT is where the struggle, the time, & the effort comes into play.

If I had to compare myself to my Sensei, there would be NO comparison. He can tranform his void energy into any other element, & one would not notice the shift in his energy, only in his kata. Why? Because he's been doing it for YEARS. THIS is where the "mastery" concept comes into play.

Martial Arts is all about energy, & connecting to your higher self. It's about the vibration of the atoms in your body & tuning into those vibrations.

This is why beginners will practice kata in steps, rather than in a flowing motion. Or they will do the kata, & then pause, disrupting the energy they started with - they are not used to it. They continue to shut the element's energy off, & revert back to the energy they're used to.

I don't know if all Martial Arts divisions requires you to shift into the different elements, but Ninjutsu does.

It's the only way I can put it into words for you.

Exactly the art of expressing the human body, you have two arms and two legs one torso etc there is only so many combinations the body has as movement.

Each style has set movements, so learn the movements, practice the drills and apply the style so to speak.

The quicker you learn each phase and keep on practicing and perfecting the more precise, power and accurate you become.

There is a little more science involved like developing the brain states or motor neuron nerve fibre sequencing (reaction - timing and strengthening) etc

But it all comes down to how many hours a person commits in practical and theoretical application to the martial art this is when you really see great martial artists like Bruce Lee level of development.

Train, train, train and train some more and then train, train and Train again!

Really is the point on achieving in the sport of martial arts.

Tarrycat

Green Belt
Reaction score
Exactly the art of expressing the human body, you have two arms and two legs one torso etc there is only so many combinations the body has as movement.

Each style has set movements, so learn the movements, practice the drills and apply the style so to speak.

The quicker you learn each phase and keep on practicing and perfecting the more precise, power and accurate you become.

There is a little more science involved like developing the brain states or motor neuron nerve fibre sequencing (reaction - timing and strengthening) etc

But it all comes down to how many hours a person commits in practical and theoretical application to the martial art this is when you really see great martial artists like Bruce Lee level of development.

Train, train, train and train some more and then train, train and Train again!

Really is the point on achieving in the sport of martial arts.

Agreed.

I used to train for three hours non-stop every Saturday with one of the black belt students who is fluid in the art; & I've found that the more I practiced, my energy would shift faster, & I'd be able to implement the kata with no trouble, whatsoever.

It does have a lot to do with your brain, yes. You have to learn to adapt to a lot of new things. I think the mind is lazy, until you take up martial arts. Just like the body, the mind needs to exercise in order to expand.

The mind is the limit, the soul & the energy isn't. However, if you can expand the mind, your soul & your mind can be in perfect unison.

This is something all students of Martial Arts will understand. Others won't, until they experience the art. :)

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Agreed.

I used to train for three hours non-stop every Saturday with one of the black belt students who is fluid in the art; & I've found that the more I practiced, my energy would shift faster, & I'd be able to implement the kata with no trouble, whatsoever.

It does have a lot to do with your brain, yes. You have to learn to adapt to a lot of new things. I think the mind is lazy, until you take up martial arts. Just like the body, the mind needs to exercise in order to expand.

The mind is the limit, the soul & the energy isn't. However, if you can expand the mind, your soul & your mind can be in perfect unison.

This is something all students of Martial Arts will understand. Others won't, until they experience the art. :)
There's only one "element" of energy needed - ATP. The more you breathe and the more glucose you have stored, the more ATP you can produce quickly.
Glucose + Oxygen -> Carbon dioxide + water + ATP (energy)
No need for the mysticism of "elements."

And a ton of things teach you to keep going even though your mind is telling you your body is tired. Many, many people outside the martial arts understand this; martial arts don't hold any exclusive claim to it.

Tarrycat

Green Belt
Reaction score
There's only one "element" of energy needed - ATP. The more you breathe and the more glucose you have stored, the more ATP you can produce quickly.

And a ton of things teach you to keep going even though your mind is telling you your body is tired. Many, many people outside the martial arts understand this; martial arts don't hold any exclusive claim to it.

Yes, it has to do with breathing.

"...the mysticism of elements..." - sorry bud, I train in a completely different discipline than you do. It may sound "mystic" to you, but that's just the way these techniques were created. It's more than just breathing, you're creating a specific energy with it - be it flowing, forceful, light, or heavy - and it DOES take years to perfect it - it's not THAT simple.

I see MANY Krav Maga & boxing students struggling to shift into those different states when they join a Ninjutsu class. Why? Because they only make use of explosive energy. I'm not bashing ANY discipline here, I'm simply stating FACTS. I love boxing & Krav Maga; I also know some of the best in the fields.

It REALLY is that deep. I don't see why the founders of this discipline would write an endless amount of scrolls for nothing.

If you haven't trained in my discipline, fine, but don't mock it. Experience it before passing judgment, please.

Tarrycat

Green Belt
Reaction score
I

Yes, it has to do with breathing.

"...the mysticism of elements..." - sorry bud, I train in a completely different discipline than you do. It may sound "mystic" to you, but that's just the way these techniques were created. It's more than just breathing, you're creating a specific energy with it - be it flowing, forceful, light, or heavy - and it DOES take years to perfect it - it's not THAT simple.

I see MANY Krav Maga & boxing students struggling to shift into those different states when they join a Ninjutsu class. Why? Because they only make use of explosive energy. I'm not bashing ANY discipline here, I'm simply stating FACTS. I love boxing & Krav Maga; I also know some of the best in the fields.

It REALLY is that deep. I don't see why the founders of this discipline would write an endless amount of scrolls for nothing.

If you haven't trained in my discipline, fine, but don't mock it. Experience it before passing judgment, please.

And I give advice based on my own knowledge & experience. I don't give opinions on behalf of everyone else. Do with it as you please, just don't come at me with the intention of creating conflict. I'm not a keypad warrior.

All Martial Arts were designed for self-defense with the chance of seriously injuring your opponent. I'm aware of that, yes.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

i know you know this, but for others,there is only one,source of energy, atp, but more than one way of getting it,

where people are puffing and painting quickly, there maybe a good case for improving there aerobic capacity, but there is an equally good case for increasing their anaerobic capacity, so they can perform high intensity long( er) duration exercises with out troubling their heart and lungs to much.

I've been working on building my anaerobic capacity to five minutes of max intensity, whilst keeping my heart rate at the barely elevated level,

if i get in to a fight i want that long of sustained effort, before my aerobic capacity is needed, then i can,still run away, if needed

Last edited:

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Kata is divided into the elements of:

- Fire
- Water
- Earth
- Wind
- Void

You can tag Chris, since he knows Ninjutsu. It's difficult to explain these things to people who don't practice it.

No, they're not.

Stephen Hayes put that idea across in the 80's, and his Toshindo organisation continues with it, but it is not part of anything found in the actual arts in Japan or elsewhere (other than Hayes' interpretation).

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
i know you know this, but for others,there is only one,source of energy, atp, but more than one way of getting it,

where people are puffing and painting quickly, there maybe a good case for improving there aerobic capacity, but there is an equally good case for increasing their anaerobic capacity, so they can perform high intensity long( er) duration exercises with out troubling their heart and lungs to much.

I've been working on building my anaerobic capacity to five minutes of max intensity, whilst keeping my heart rate at the barely elevated level,

if i get in to a fight i want that long of sustained effort, before my aerobic capacity is needed, then i can,still run away, if needed
Absolutely. There's many different ways of converting glycogen (stored glucose in the body) to ATP, but they all convert it into ATP. Aerobic, anaerobic, fermentation, etc. Which system is being used is dependent on the demands.

Training aerobicly will help when you need anaerobic energy and vice versa. If you've got great aerobic capacity, it'll make anaerobic processes more efficient, and the other way around.

Train mostly for what you need, but don't neglect the others.

Latest Discussions