Martial arts sayings or proverbs

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A wise man learns from his mistakes...
A wiser man learns from the mistakes of others...
And a sadistic bastard delights in the mistakes of others. :D

I favor the latter.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
"Always keep the sharp side and the pointy end between you and the other guy!"
This reminds me of the advice my fiancee was given her first fencing tournament (she subbed in for an injury, without about a week of practice, for epee).

"Just hit them with the pointy end. As long as you keep doing that, you can't lose."

DocWard

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Sort of on topic, and it allows me to brag about my wife a little. Yesterday, when I shared the news about earning my black belt, within a few minutes she had sent me this:
18tnqaqfmmh31.jpg

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Whether you believe you can, or you believe you can't, you're probably correct

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sort of on topic, and it allows me to brag about my wife a little. Yesterday, when I shared the news about earning my black belt, within a few minutes she had sent me this:

But I've seen plenty of people start who are average, who will grow out of mediocrity before getting their black belt. Seen several who were way worse than average.

There's one kid in our little kids class that used to just be a nightmare in class, but he's been on a very upward trend since then. If he continues to progress, both in his attitude and his skills, by the time he gets his black belt, he'll be amazing and he'll be a joy to have in class. But from where he started? Oh he was horrible, again in both attitude and technique.

DocWard

Purple Belt
Reaction score
But I've seen plenty of people start who are average, who will grow out of mediocrity before getting their black belt. Seen several who were way worse than average.

There's one kid in our little kids class that used to just be a nightmare in class, but he's been on a very upward trend since then. If he continues to progress, both in his attitude and his skills, by the time he gets his black belt, he'll be amazing and he'll be a joy to have in class. But from where he started? Oh he was horrible, again in both attitude and technique.

To be honest, my comment was more about my wife being supportive, motivating me and being awesome than about the actual quote! :)

Regarding your comment, however, is the fact that "average" is vague in the statement, in that it can be a measure of many different things. Ability, desire, attitude, or just your "average guy on the street."

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
To be honest, my comment was more about my wife being supportive, motivating me and being awesome than about the actual quote! :)

Regarding your comment, however, is the fact that "average" is vague in the statement, in that it can be a measure of many different things. Ability, desire, attitude, or just your "average guy on the street."

Sorry, I was mainly quoting the picture, but I removed the picture so it didn't oversize my quote.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

The idea behind the quote is that by the tine they reach black belt, regardless of where they started, they are no longer average.

Latest Discussions