Martial Arts Literature

Kyokushin_1054

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
OSU guys!

I hope everyone is well, safe, healthy and keeping fit as best as possible during these extraordinary times. Since most of us are getting a lot more time indoors and therefore exploring new things to do, I wanted to share something that I am using this time for: reading even more martial arts literature to keep on educating myself about as much as possible. Some of my favorites have been "Musashi" by Eiji Yoshikawa, "This is Karate" by Masutatsu Oyama, "Martial Arts Reader" and "Mind Training for the Martial Arts" by Dr. Clive Layton.

I'd be very interested to find out what everyone's favorite martial arts books, magazines or any form of literature are. It will also help us all to find new inspiration to pick up an interesting new book and to continue learning and trying new things on this beautiful journey. I look forward to your responses!

Cheers!

Roland

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
OSU guys!

I hope everyone is well, safe, healthy and keeping fit as best as possible during these extraordinary times. Since most of us are getting a lot more time indoors and therefore exploring new things to do, I wanted to share something that I am using this time for: reading even more martial arts literature to keep on educating myself about as much as possible. Some of my favorites have been "Musashi" by Eiji Yoshikawa, "This is Karate" by Masutatsu Oyama, "Martial Arts Reader" and "Mind Training for the Martial Arts" by Dr. Clive Layton.

I'd be very interested to find out what everyone's favorite martial arts books, magazines or any form of literature are. It will also help us all to find new inspiration to pick up an interesting new book and to continue learning and trying new things on this beautiful journey. I look forward to your responses!

Cheers!

Roland
Judd Reid, Shihan's book, The Young Lions. Very inspirational to people training in Kyokushin.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There’s an older and very long thread here somewhere. Anyway...

Mas Oyama - What is Karate? This is Karate, and Advanced Karate
Tadashi Nakamura - Karate Technique and Spirit, and The Human Face of Karate
Joko Ninomiya - Sabaki Method: Karate in the Inner Circle

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
All of them
20200403_142243.jpg
20200403_142332.jpg
20200403_142406.jpg
20200403_142605.jpg
20200403_142243.jpg
20200403_142332.jpg
20200403_142406.jpg
20200403_142605.jpg

OP
Kyokushin_1054

Kyokushin_1054

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Judd Reid, Shihan's book, The Young Lions. Very inspirational to people training in Kyokushin.

Yes! I could not agree more, that one is absolutely amazing. A very similar one to that, in which Nicholas Pettas, another Uchi Deshi at the time mentioned Judd Reid being there as well is "Blue Eyed Samurai". Its really genuine descriptions and is beautiful to read. I also found it entertaining to see how he described Judd Reid as this tough, arrogant kid who was being a bit of a jerk to him at first hahaha:D

OP
Kyokushin_1054

Kyokushin_1054

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
There’s an older and very long thread here somewhere. Anyway...

Mas Oyama - What is Karate? This is Karate, and Advanced Karate
Tadashi Nakamura - Karate Technique and Spirit, and The Human Face of Karate

Very fine choices! I will make sure to check out "Joko Ninomiya - Sabaki Method: Karate in the Inner Circle" as I have not read it yet. Cheers mate!

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
OSU guys!

Cheers!

Roland

I recommend books by this author..

https://www.killology.com/bio

I'd start with his book "On Combat".

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Wow!! that is like heaven on one shelf! Respect man! :eek:
There is around 1000 or so books, mostly judo/ jiu jitsu and WWII combatives. The oldest book is from the 1890's and has the original articles about Bartitsu, the jiu jitsu/boxing/ wrestling/savate/la Canne martial art developed by Edward Barton Wright.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I used to have a pretty big collection of martial arts books. Over the years and a couple of moves, most of them have been cleared out in the name of de-cluttering. They went to used book stores and Goodwill.

Realistically, I seriously doubt I would have read most of them again. But part of me wishes I had kept them.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Very fine choices! I will make sure to check out "Joko Ninomiya - Sabaki Method: Karate in the Inner Circle" as I have not read it yet. Cheers mate!
That’s my favorite book for strategy/technique. The stuff he discusses isn’t anything revolutionary nor really new. But he just puts it in a way that makes it very simple for me. The first time I read it, it was like “why didn’t I think of that” or “that’s a really great and simple adjustment.” Stuff like that.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

"Blue Eyed Samurai"

Two books I've been meaning to read when I have some time. Very interested in Sabaki. It is concept I've been personally working on for awhile. Nicholas Pettas' the Samurai Spirit is something I watch periodically....when I have a chance:

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Two books I've been meaning to read when I have some time. Very interested in Sabaki. It is concept I've been personally working on for awhile. Nicholas Pettas' the Samurai Spirit is something I watch periodically....when I have a chance:
I love that episode