Martial Arts instead of PE Class

S

sifu Adams

I have a student that has a job with a local school teaching Martial Arts. He is a certified teacher and the school he works at has replaces PE Class for Martial Arts, Soccer, and Tennis classes. Each student takes Martial Arts classes two times a week during the school day. (We beat him weekly in class for having such a dream job with benifits, good pay, ect...Ha! Ha!)
My question is what dose everyone think about this and then I will tell you some of the problems with it. Like "no weapons in school!"

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I like the idea and have heard of itbeing discussed befor but never knew for sure if school systems would go for the idea.
I personaly think its a great idea

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
god I wish we had had that. free lessons! no stupid boring PE classes!

*sighs in envy*

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'll bet the school bullies really enjoy Martial Arts class as well. I would hope that it would help them be more balanced and lead to less fights overall. My preconceptions and fears give me different expectations.

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think its an interesting concept, and I think it has value. I think it could work in some/most situations but not everywhere.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My school teaches a PE class for a local school, albeit it is a private school, but still. I think its great, its a very basic course with the intent to funnel kids who want more into our school.

7sm

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
WHen I was in Highschool a billion years back, we had, as a PE option "Self Defense"

I think that more schools should bring this back, if only because it really can help the students learn some discipline and self-respect.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
sifu Adams said:
I have a student that has a job with a local school teaching Martial Arts. He is a certified teacher and the school he works at has replaces PE Class for Martial Arts, Soccer, and Tennis classes. Each student takes Martial Arts classes two times a week during the school day. (We beat him weekly in class for having such a dream job with benifits, good pay, ect...Ha! Ha!)
My question is what dose everyone think about this and then I will tell you some of the problems with it. Like "no weapons in school!"

Beats Volleyball.

OP
M

Martial_Maniac

My instructors teach a martial arts class at a private school in my area as an elective (instead of P.E.). Actually, I was introduced to the style beacause my best friend learned it when he was at the school three years ago.

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Where can I get an application? :) That would be a dream job! It's a great idea.

OP
S

sifu Adams

Sounds great walk into a school of 200+ students but we are haveing some trouble. Example Testing, they wont everyone to get a belt no matter what. We have never done this. In our system we earn the rank. We have been working on a grading scale and then anyone wonting to get a rank level they would have to come to one of our testing where committee of black belts and the Master shows up for. what do you think any ideas on how to get around this?

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
sifu Adams said:
Sounds great walk into a school of 200+ students but we are haveing some trouble. Example Testing, they wont everyone to get a belt no matter what. We have never done this. In our system we earn the rank. We have been working on a grading scale and then anyone wonting to get a rank level they would have to come to one of our testing where committee of black belts and the Master shows up for. what do you think any ideas on how to get around this?
Do they have to earn rank at all? Why not have them all wear gi pants and T-shirts and give out certificates of participation with a listing of skills covered over the school year. You could also award each child with a participation patch at the end of the year that they could put on a gi if they decide to continue lessons at your school on their own. :)

Eldritch Knight

Blue Belt
Reaction score
When I was attending American high school in Italy, we had a TKD program that studets could take in lieu of PE. Our instructor a 3rd dan who was also the philosophy teacher, and being the only 1st dan, I was his assistant instructor. The program didn't last long, and last I heard, it died off after I graduated and the instructor moved away, but it had a decent following while it lived and pulled a few people strongly into MA.

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
i wish i had that option...the best my highschool did was tie bow and that was done in the personal fitness group who was sent off alone to work with a vidio

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have a friend who taught Taekwondo as the PE requirement in a charter school. It worked out well since he had a built-in student base who trained an hour a day five days a week. It also worked as a feeder-program into his commercial school for those who wanted more and harder training.

Unfortunately, the charter school did not do so well financially. Now he teaches breathing and meditation techniques along with martial arts to kids with cancer. I don't know of a job which could be more rewarding than knowing you are helping these brave young people.

Miles

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think it is a great idea for the students. It's a great option for those that enjoy this kind of workout. Hopefully they do not run into the students that wants to learn for the sake of hurting someone.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
There will be a lot of adversaries....people tend to train and believe that is straictly for fighting...

Eldritch Knight

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Very true. However, I'd say that Tai Chi could be easily incorporated into public school. Most people believe that its main purpose is for "health benefits" *snorts*

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I would definately have appreciated the opportunity, I broke my nose playing rugby in school, so I could just have well done it doing martial arts

Latest Discussions