My latest project...a martial arts class in school!

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Brother John said:
Thats quite a list!! There's a lot too it, I see some Japanese/Chinese Korean and Philipino influences. Very cool.

How far into this list do you anticipate going? For instance, do you intend to go really far into the Kyusho? Seems that could be kinda dangerous..
just wondering.

Your Brother
John

These students would only be receiving beginning instruction in our art. I will start with the white belt list and probably grade and then move onto part of the green belt list. Students who want to continue at the end of the semester will be able to do so at the YWCA where I run my non-profit dojang.

Kids rise up to the level that one expects them to meet...as soon as they learn that that is the expectation.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Hopefully your classes will build good charcter and a good sense of self worth to these students....you may want to get a hold of the book "Verbal Judo" and have some short sessons discusion of Verbal defenses.

Lots of Police departments are having these classes and books for there officers. This is worth reading evening just for yourself......check it out!....Aloha

Icewater

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm surprised and pleased that your school system will allow this (the insurance liability has got to be an issue). My mother worked with year long suspended students and drop-outs for several years. Setting the boundaries up front and being consistent, consistent, consistent with her students gained their respect. I hope you succeed in this endeavor and bring some structure into these kids lives. It could be the boost they need to become a productive citizen.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Any sport is dangerous. I was hurt all of the time when I wrestled in HS.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
Any sport is dangerous. I was hurt all of the time when I wrestled in HS.

Truth..How many students are injuried playing football or by sadistic phys ed instructors who didn't feel you were giving 100% during their classes???

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congratulations, upnorthkyosa, this is certainly a warrior's victory. Best of luck on furthering your mission.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
These students would only be receiving beginning instruction in our art. I will start with the white belt list and probably grade and then move onto part of the green belt list. Students who want to continue at the end of the semester will be able to do so at the YWCA where I run my non-profit dojang.

Kids rise up to the level that one expects them to meet...as soon as they learn that that is the expectation.
I'm really excited for you! I hope this really turns out well for you.
Quantifying their progress will be the tricky part, but I gots faith in ya....

Your Brother
John

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
As long as things are done in a professional way, I don't see liability being a problem. Inuries can happen with any of the other sports that take place in school, so this should really be no different.

Mike

J

jbclinic

i started an anger management class at a juvenile facility and it worked.when i left the company it was dicontinued. that's another of my what am i doing wrong or i just don't know the right people

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm wondering if there is any update on the progress of your class?

Did you get students to enroll? What attitude are they bringing to the matt? What have you learned in the process?

Curiously,

Mike

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's been an interesting journey. I've taught these kids for a while and I know how unstable their lives can be. Trying to keep a MA class going through that instability is challenging.

I started with a large number of students...15. For our school, that is big. Then the fallout began. Some stopped showing up after the first class...and I figured that would happen. I wasn't going to teach them backflips or any other movie stuff. We began with the basics.

After the first week, I was down to 10. We kept on going and I was consistent with my discipline and ettiquette expectations so some kids chafed...but did all right. The next major fallout happened when the techniques started to get difficult. Many of these kids have a hard time trying something and not being very good at it. They don't have a very high self esteem so it is often easier to quit before one can fail. I chased after five kids outside of class and did everything I could to keep them coming up to the gym to work out, but in the end, they were making a decision and that was that. They still talk to me about it and they are interested, so they may try it again in the future...

For about a month, I had a core group of kids together. We went down the list and learned alot and had fun. Then outside issues started to intrude on their lives. Some of the kids I had were on probation and to the number, they violated their probation and ended up in lock up. Another student relapsed and had major chemical issues. He ended up in treatment. By the end of the second month, I was down to two students...a boy and a girl. They both hated each other btw - but they left that off the mat...to their credit.

Something very interesting happened to one of my students that shows to me that all of this was having an impact. The male student that I had left had been in and out of lock-up for years. He had created lots of issues for himself in the past and had a pretty substantial rep. I talked to both of these kids about my expectations and about violence and I invited them both to my dojang downtown. They both showed up and were good TSD students.

At school, however, the male student had a lot of people who really like him too much. There were some bf/gf issues and two girls decided to settle it. They jumped him as he was walking to class and Pat did everything he could to keep them off of him and try to get away. In the past, this would have escalated and gotten really messy, but all of the de-escalation techniques and SD mindset stuff was paying off. I personally broke this altercation up and no one was hurt, no weapons were drawn, and everyone walked away. The decision was made later to kick all three people out of school, however...so now I was down to one.

I still allow Pat to come to my dojang down town. He's been a regular student and has even worked out with the local ALC how he can turn the class into credit toward graduation. He can't afford the tuition, so I made a trade with him. He now assists me on some of the community service projects I'm involved with. This kid was a straight up thug before this class and we've really gone a long way. There are still some issues, but they are working themselves out.

Anyway, the two kids that were locked up are coming back on Monday. I really have high hopes for both of them and I have a good relationship with both of them. I'm going to continue to teach them TSD and I've invited both of them on my BWCAW experiential learning trip to work with them even more. The other kid, the one who went into treatment, is going to be tough. He came back last week and I've been working really hard with him. He's got a tough situation; nowhere to live, no parents who care, no money or job or time or skills, and a drug addiction to boot. I don't know how he's going to manage his life, it seems like a recipe for relapse. We'll see what happens.

So, on monday, I'll have four students in my school and two more at my dojang. The other two may come to my dojang also, but I haven't talked to them about it yet. All of them are good kids and I've seen a lot of positive growth. They respect me and I respect them and for most of them, this is probably the first time in their lives that they've experienced that.

The bottom line is that this thing is now established. The kids know about it and are thinking about it and I know that some of the more tentative will eventually give it another try. The other thing is that, since we are established, the kids have now had some time to get comfortable with the change in our school. As miniscule as that sounds, it actually is a pretty big deal. Change = chaos to these kids and they need time to learn to trust it. This year has been rocky, but I know from experience that next year will go a little better...and the year after will be better still.

It just takes time. Miracles don't happen overnight.

upnorthkyosa

ps - thanks, Mike, the kids were amazed that you did what you did and will soon be writing letters.

Robert Lee

Brown Belt
Reaction score
AdrenalineJunky said:
Congrats! Out of curiosity, what does "at risk youth" mean. If it means that they are "troubled" in some fashion, teaching them how to beat people may not be the best thing to do.

Just a thought. Otherwise, good luck, I really enjoy helping other people learn about Muay Thai; getting paid to do it would be awesome!
At risk can be low grades troubled youth ect. To give them Something that can help motive them such as M/a training that includes disipline respect. Can help change there out look and improve motivation. So this is a very good thing to do. Many people have taken on this type of instruction and have found it worth while. In helping young people bring change to there lifes.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Like any new project, I guess you should expect some setbacks. I remember our Junior High School started a Dance Club after school, and after the first week, there were, I think four of us that remained; in a school of maybe 600 students.

I think that most programs of this type need to be based on 'Attraction, rather than 'Promotion'. The kids have to want to participate. Once they get invovled, based on their own motivations (whatever they are), the benefits become self-fulfilling.

I imagine it is the same with your trips to the Boundary Waters. You have to imagine how bad it would suck to be two or three days from civilization with a person who desperately doesn't want to be there.

My younger girl spent three years at our town's Alternative school. This year she is back in the 'mainstream' High School, and doing fabulous. The rewards of in the Alternative Programs are all the more spectacular because of the situations with the students.

I wish you, and your students, continued success.

Mike

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Upnorthkyosa -

Congratulations! For a program like that, in the environment you describe, that is an incredibly good outcome rate. I will also be interested in hearing how things continue to evolve in the future. Good luck to you and all involved in your program. :asian:

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You are doing great and important work there. Hope it goes well. Keep us posted on the progress!!

Jeff

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's great that you're doing that, you are definitly a positive influence on the kids. Keep up the great work!

Latest Discussions