Martial arts events

Eric Damon Rapier

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Is there a website or information center where I can find out where martial arts events are upcoming?

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That is a good question. I am not aware of a forum or section specifically for tournament dates, etc... I suggest checking your local paper or media outlets and with you school/instructor. They should at least be able to get you plugged in with what they are doing. You could also check with the other schools in your area, or at least their websites. Just tread softly, some instructors really get hung up about people going to other schools or tournaments. Rather foolish IMHO.
Hopefully some of the old timers here on the forum can give you a better answer as far as a conglomerate online source.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
What type of events are you interested in?

And what area?

OP
Eric Damon Rapier

Eric Damon Rapier

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Tournaments, but workshops in particular. Really anything that involves martial arts. I'm in California...bay area/northern California.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sorry not real familiar with that area.

Here are some Orgs. to look at to start off.

My son competes in the USKA which has tournaments in Palm Springs.....Upcoming Tournaments with Flyers
- It is an open to all styles but favors traditional styles (Karate, TKD, Kempo, etc...)

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
NBILSKIL.....Tournament Listings
-Open to all styles....not real traditional and forms are more gymnastic and flashy.

We like the more traditional style that is popular in the USKA but that is just our preference.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
You also have WKF
-Olympic Style Karate sparring / Traditional Japanese forms

For some reason it will not let me post with link to org or videos...lots of videos on you tube though

\

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Tournaments, but workshops in particular. Really anything that involves martial arts. I'm in California...bay area/northern California.
Googling martial arts in northern California, it looks like there is a lot of schools of various styles. That should increase the offerings of tournaments, workshops, and such. Maybe some reverse engineering? Check in the events section of you local papers/media outlets.
I wish I could be more help.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You also have WKF
-Olympic Style Karate sparring / Traditional Japanese forms

For some reason it will not let me post with link to org or videos...lots of videos on you tube though

\
Don't you mean WTF? ;):p;)

***EDIT: For those that do not know, that is short for World Tae Kwon Do Federation

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Is there a website or information center where I can find out where martial arts events are upcoming?
In Kyokushin we have a few FB groups dedicated to spreading this kind of information. Seminars and workshops are typically done the day after a tournament. The seminars or workshops are hosted by the CI who organized the tournament and typically they bring in a guest instructor (s) to teach.

I would expect that the place you train would be dialled into the local and regional tournament scene. They would be the ones best to guide you as to where to begin your journey. Not all tournaments are created equal and it is always a good idea to have the person or people training you guide you through the pitfalls. Especially as an adult student that is beginning his journey, the last thing you want to do is enter a tournament ill prepared to face an opponent that has a significant amount of experience and who is looking to take you out the quickest and most efficient way as possible. It is not a recipe for a good experience.

Good luck

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
UC Berkeley has a number of martial arts groups, and they have tournaments that they either host, or compete in. I know that the Wushu group hosts a big Kung fu tournament every year, it is a mix of traditional Kung fu and Modern Wushu, forms competition and push-hands. You might find it interesting to watch.

I know they have tae Kwon do and I believe judo, so may have tournament connections that would be interesting to watch.

Go to the UC Berkeley website and see what you can find.

Lily Lau, Grandmaster of Eagle Claw Kung fu has hosted some tournaments in the past, go to her website and see if there is any information. I believe her school is in Concord.

Tat Mau Wong has a couple schools in the Bay are, I know that a lot of his students attend the tournaments in the area, but I’m not sure if he hosts any. He teaches Choy Lay Fut Kung fu. His website might have some info.

Tigerclaw does a tournament, I think it is in San Jose. Internet search may find something.

Pick up a copy of Tai Chi Kung Fu Magazine, they usually have a summary of Bay Area tournaments, so it could be a source of info.

The Bay Area capoeira schools typically have graduation and promotion ceremonies once a year, which are often open to the public. That can be interesting to watch, do an internet search and see what you find. There are several schools in the area, but I’ve lost track of how many and who is active since I stopped training capoeira years ago. The San Francisco ABADA school is definitely still going strong though, that was where I trained.

I recall many years ago watching a Kuk Sool Won tournament, hosted by the San Francisco school. I don’t know if they still do that, but you might find something on the internet.

The San Francisco area is rich in martial arts. Lots of schools, and lots of different systems. Especially rich in Chinese martial arts, compared to other parts of the country.

Mitlov

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Ask at your karate school if there are any local events they participate in, or if they house their own. Oftentimes there will be circuits of local karate schools who all attend each others' events, and they may not be heavily publicised besides word of mouth and flyers at other martial arts schools.

OP
Eric Damon Rapier

Eric Damon Rapier

Orange Belt
Reaction score
These are both wonderful gifts of information. Thank you Mitlov and Flying Crane. Searching in my area is definitely ideal.✊

Latest Discussions