martial arts colony?

megat

Orange Belt
Reaction score
hmmm much like ryouzanpaku, a place in the history's gretest disciple kenichi anime ( heheh sorry man i am as much an anime otaku as i am an MA otaku) but they have a muay thai master, an aikido, kenpo, karate and weaponary masters.

my point is if a place like this ever exist we are going to need masters of different style, and that by itself is a challenge.

OP
CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
That is true. And again, arises some intresting logistal problems.

OP
CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not sure if your being sarcasitic or not, but ok. If you want to provide the funding, then lets have at it. Otherwise, I think we should save our pennys for the ground breaking.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The only "artists' colonies" I've ever seen are endeavors designed to attract tourists. So what are you gong to sell that Mrs. Jones can take home and put on a shelf?

Put 5 painters in a room , what are the chances they start teaching each other? LOL Artist Colony is about getting tourist dollars !

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
Not sure if your being sarcasitic or not, but ok. If you want to provide the funding, then lets have at it. Otherwise, I think we should save our pennys for the ground breaking.

No I wasn't. However to answer yours: That's what a colony is. It's a place apart from the rest. Everyone would have to chip in that agreed to live there. We would ALL have to make it work. So, if it's a "martial arts colony" Plymouth COLONY is the model.

OP
CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Anouther thought. Lets say I suddenly became fabously (sp) wealthy (for what ever reason), and decided to open a semi-private college. Now, there are law schools, buisness schools, sceince schools, and so on. So, I made this college, a martial artist college. Majors include Physics, Anatomy, Traditional Chinese Healing, and so on. Sports include Judo, Boxing, Wrestling, Fencing, and so on.

Now, with this as the tangent I'm takeing this on, what other majors, sports, and so on should be offered?

Now, lets say I had enough money to build this in, say, Florida (I have a justification, why is a long story). And, the original colony in were ever Carol lives (she's been thinking about this, so it would a joint effort). Now, lets say I made a governing body for the college, colony, and any francise colonies. Make it a sort of, inter-martial arts association, to spread open mindedness in the Martial Arts. What would you say should be the name of said asociation? And, (this is to Bob specifily), would Martialtalk join the asociation if offered?

Now, to any teachers on Martialtalk, would you accept a job at the Martial University?

Go M.U! Home of the... say, what should our mascot be?

Sensei Payne

Black Belt
Reaction score
Only problem with this idea, the majority/ a lot of people who claim to be martial artists, they think, "this style is better than all the rest". An Elitest(sp?) way of thinking..

So if there was this colony, it should be only those who are approved to be members, and those would be judged on there spirit to share and to learn...

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Anouther thought. Lets say I suddenly became fabously (sp) wealthy (for what ever reason), and decided to open a semi-private college. Now, there are law schools, buisness schools, sceince schools, and so on. So, I made this college, a martial artist college. Majors include Physics, Anatomy, Traditional Chinese Healing, and so on. Sports include Judo, Boxing, Wrestling, Fencing, and so on.

Now, with this as the tangent I'm takeing this on, what other majors, sports, and so on should be offered?

Now, lets say I had enough money to build this in, say, Florida (I have a justification, why is a long story). And, the original colony in were ever Carol lives (she's been thinking about this, so it would a joint effort). Now, lets say I made a governing body for the college, colony, and any francise colonies. Make it a sort of, inter-martial arts association, to spread open mindedness in the Martial Arts. What would you say should be the name of said asociation? And, (this is to Bob specifily), would Martialtalk join the asociation if offered?

Now, to any teachers on Martialtalk, would you accept a job at the Martial University?

Doc Chapel names his school "Martial Science University"

have you seen this?

http://www.ymaa-retreatcenter.org/en/retreatcenter

YMAA Retreat Center is a new nonprofit training center currently under construction on 240 acres in Humbolt County, Northern CA. Chinese martial arts Master Yang, Jwing-Ming will invite a group of exceptional young students to live and train Tai Chi, Kung Fu, and Qigong every day for ten years, in order to transmit his entire knowledge of the traditional arts.

We have already reviewed over 100 applications and preliminary testing has begun. Master Yang will select the semi-finalists in Spring 08. Then, 10-15 finalists will be accepted as disciples into the 10-year program, which starts in August 08.

OP
CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Only problem with this idea, the majority/ a lot of people who claim to be martial artists, they think, "this style is better than all the rest". An Elitest(sp?) way of thinking..

So if there was this colony, it should be only those who are approved to be members, and those would be judged on there spirit to share and to learn...

Right, but no other input?

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score

I think that when considering something like this it is important to remember a number of things.

Traditional Chinese medicine and TMAs are intimately connected so teaching one would have to include teach the other.
It would be necessary to have a broad range of specific arts for different regions around the world in order to avoid regional bias. Further it would be necessary to rotate students through different arts to avoid the "this art is best" attitude we see so often.

Courses that should be offered might include the following:
Courses examining the place of MAs and their practitioners in modern societies.
Courses about the fusion and development of arts. This would include history and current phenomena like MMA.

As to a name for such an instuitution, I don't know.
I have a personal preference for something more traditional though I think that it might not appeal to a broad enough student base.

How's that for a start?

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
2. Is there such thing as a Martial Artist Colony? Now I'm not talking about like a live in dojo. But a place were people from differnit styles come together and bounce ideas, concepts and techniques off each other. One could easily say "Yah, your at it. It's called a forum". But I mean in person. It's one thing to explain it, but anouther to be taught it. Got me?

It's an interesting and striking idea (pun intended!), and from the MAist's point of view could be paradise on earth. But remember, a lot of MAists have families, children in school, jobs in places they may not want to be but have to be because of the nature of their employment, and so on. In short, the practicalities have to be taken into account if a concept like this is going to get off the ground. And the verdict of spouses and offspring are absolutely critical in making decisions of this kind, make no mistake!

3. If such a thing existed, would you try to stay at it?

CN, I'm no expert in this area, but because of my interest and activities in calligraphy, I've read a certain amount about artist and craftsman colonies, or things close enough as makes no difference (as they say) during the Arts & Crafts movement in late 19th c. England that were heavily associated with that movement; Ditchling is probably the best known such place, which still retains its cachet almost a century later. The thing that examples like this of the kind of social experiment you have in mind show is that while they may persist over long periods, their membership rarely does. People come and stay for a year, two years, maybe three years... five years would be a statistical long shot. There are serious logistical questions that have to be solved, and given the restlessness of modern life, it's not completely clear to me that a set of households based on solely on common interest would have what it took to last for very long.

Would I like to stay at it? I'd love to spend some time at such a place, but my work is here, my child's school, and his and my wife's circle of friends is here... after twenty years in a place, one has built up a certain stake which very effectively counterbalances the temptations offered by one's interests, no matter how intense. I suspect that the only folks who would seriously consider moving to someplace along the lines you describe would be young people without long-established ties to anywhere else; and as time went on, they would find themselves under pressure to go where they could become established in work or a career.

To me, the very phrase `artists' colony' suggests a particular era in time that's long past. It might work in the present... but it would be something very different from the kinds of artists' colonies one usually thinks of.

OP
CuongNhuka

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think that when considering something like this it is important to remember a number of things.

Traditional Chinese medicine and TMAs are intimately connected so teaching one would have to include teach the other.
It would be necessary to have a broad range of specific arts for different regions around the world in order to avoid regional bias. Further it would be necessary to rotate students through different arts to avoid the "this art is best" attitude we see so often.

Courses that should be offered might include the following:
Courses examining the place of MAs and their practitioners in modern societies.
Courses about the fusion and development of arts. This would include history and current phenomena like MMA.

As to a name for such an instuitution, I don't know.
I have a personal preference for something more traditional though I think that it might not appeal to a broad enough student base.

How's that for a start?

Thats a great start, actualy. And for your large amount of input, our mascot will be the Steel Tigers. Maybe that should be the name of our group? Hows that sound, Steel Tiger LTD?

And Exile, you kinda already posted that thought... I meant my tangent, as in, the University idea. I thought you would love that. You are a college prof, right?

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thats a great start, actualy. And for your large amount of input, our mascot will be the Steel Tigers. Maybe that should be the name of our group? Hows that sound, Steel Tiger LTD?

And Exile, you kinda already posted that thought... I meant my tangent, as in, the University idea. I thought you would love that. You are a college prof, right?

A steel tiger would look pretty cool, but I think it might attract a lot of people wanting to learn how to pilot a zoid.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Believe me, the idea of a rigorous approach to the MAs—the same standards of MA history that you would apply in judging a book on the Reformation or an article on the role of the Federal Reserve in the American economy for publication, or, so far as biomechanics were concerned, in evaluating an experimental investigation of muscle size in power generation for NSF funding—is music to mine ears. Can you imagine how much dojo legend would be punctured and deflated before our eyes if those extreme standards of rigor were applied?

But what you always have to ask yourself, in these entertaining daydreams which we all (I suspect) have had at one time or another, is: Will this work? Will there be a clientele for such a project willing to fork over the $$ necessary to make it run, even as a break-even proposition? Where will the graduates from such a program go (bearing in mind that a very large program cannot long survive if the market for its graduates is relatively small). I'd rather not ask these kinds of hard questions; like you, I'd rather imagine what MA education would be like in a perfect world. But I've been a university professor long enough to know that the damned stupid reality out there isn't necessarily going to accommodate our cherished visions...

Latest Discussions