Martial Arts and Entertainers

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just a curiosity question...

Does Elvis having an inflated rank discredit anyone else's rank?

Does Elvis having a legitimate rank boost anyone else's?

I just realized something while typing this...

As I stated earlier (as did Juanny), Dolph Lundgren was a green belt while he was beating black belts in Kyokushin championships. As luck would have it, I'm currently a green belt too. That makes me suuuch a badass. Don't mess with me; I'm the same rank Dolph was when he was beating down black belts. I'm going to turn down all future promotions because that'll take away my mojo.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score

As I stated earlier (as did Juanny), Dolph Lundgren was a green belt while he was beating black belts in Kyokushin championships. As luck would have it, I'm currently a green belt too. That makes me suuuch a badass. Don't mess with me; I'm the same rank Dolph was when he was beating down black belts. I'm going to turn down all future promotions because that'll take away my mojo.

Absolutely no idea why, but the post made think of this.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score

When Bill Wallace was a competitive kickboxer, he always wore his black belt in the ring. The next PKA middleweight champion never did as he was only a blue belt in jiu jitsu. Managed to hold the belt for the next 15 years despite never having a black belt. It wasn't until 2008 that my instructor got his black belt(in jiu jitsu). Not everyone is Dolph Lundgren, or Jean-Yves Theriault. They both prove it is the man, not the belt to worry about.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
When Bill Wallace was a competitive kickboxer, he always wore his black belt in the ring. The next PKA middleweight champion never did as he was only a blue belt in jiu jitsu. Managed to hold the belt for the next 15 years despite never having a black belt. It wasn't until 2008 that my instructor got his black belt(in jiu jitsu). Not everyone is Dolph Lundgren, or Jean-Yves Theriault. They both prove it is the man, not the belt to worry about.

You know, you're really not helping my cause here. Lundgren was a green belt, and I'm a badass because I'm the same rank he was.

Let a guy dream, will you?
:)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

To answer your question. Yes pretty much.

Although I would narrow that down to the instructor or the club. Not the system.

So you have a belt the way that is awarded is pretty important.

If you got it from a belt mill instructor then that is relevant.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To answer your question. Yes pretty much.

Although I would narrow that down to the instructor or the club. Not the system.

So you have a belt the way that is awarded is pretty important.

If you got it from a belt mill instructor then that is relevant.
I'm not sure one outlier (especially an outlier who is also a celebrity) upsets the whole legitimacy of a grading system, any more than one good martial artist can provide legitimacy to a grading system (or art, for that matter).

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You know, you're really not helping my cause here. Lundgren was a green belt, and I'm a badass because I'm the same rank he was.

Let a guy dream, will you?
:)
Hey,hey man, I , I didn't mean anything by it, it was just a joke. Wasn't trying to offend a badass mother trucker like you.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm not sure one outlier (especially an outlier who is also a celebrity) upsets the whole legitimacy of a grading system, any more than one good martial artist can provide legitimacy to a grading system (or art, for that matter).

Ok. What would be the minimum number of free belts before you would feel a bit ripped off actually having to earn yoirs.

OP
Darrencowan

Darrencowan

Green Belt
Reaction score
You people in here talking like this are not martial artists. You need to learn some respect. Lend opinions without disrespect. Tames D, you wouldn't make a wort on Parkers dead and bloated anus.

Latest Discussions