Marijuana and Performance

Knives

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I remember reading not too long ago that if you were found with Cannabis Sativa in your system, you were disqualified from the sporting event in which you participated in. The only way I could think of this happening is that it's considered to be a performance enhancer.

My question is, do you all think Marijuana is a performance enhancer or performance reducer?

I can think of it as a performance enhancer in that it could be used for relaxing the muscles quickly, leading to a decrease in training down-time.

However, it could also be a reducer in that it leads to a decrease in motivation to train in the first place.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
it is always a good topic
we have new members all the time and their thoughts are always wanted on any subject.

Many years ago the practice of studying under the influence was an every day event for many. Would I say their preformance was enhanced ...NO
would I say they might not have been subject to some of the pain they might have felt....yes
Did they do better with out the drug in their system... some yes some no

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you're not competing I don't see a reason why not. Though I have not smoked in 3 months now I will say that back in college during finals week it was 24 hour cram sessions and then a little smoke to calm the nerves before exams.

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, would you train under the influence of alcohol? Training under the influence of a depressant has never made sense to me. There is plenty of uses for Marijuana, but a MA training aid? :rolleyes:

Gaius Julius Caesar

Black Belt
Reaction score
I am pro legalization of pot but I would throw anyone out of the Dojo who came in high or buzzed.

It slows down reflexes and impairs judgment, anyone who says it does not has either not smoked it, is disshonest or is to burnt out to know the difference.

I have been stoned enough times in my life where even though I think it should be legal it still has negatives on your health and can demotivate you. The law and order types who want it to stay illegal are idiots, the NORMAL people who say it's harmless are idiots.

A little weed can be a good thing just like a little wine, a little beer and a little sex whereas abussed they all can have very negative results.

When you train for close combat the right way, you are skirting danger, sometimes you are a hair away from being maimed or killed or maiming or killing your training partner.

I could care less about what Eddie Bravo says about this, sure you might beable to do grapling training high, but doing standing Jujutsu buzzed is a great way to break someone's arm or neck.

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
It is a different filter.
Sean

Of course inebriation is a different filter, anything that affects the mind acts as a filter.

It is just not appropriate for martial training. I'm not advocating that the plant shouldn't be used, just not in combination with your training. If any of my students came to train under the influence I would send them home, mostly for their safety, but if they over compensate for their impaired reactions: they can also cause harm to other students. It is akin to coming to class drunk. I don't care if a person drinks or smokes weed. I'm even for the legalization of it, but I do not condone it's usage in conjunction with sports or martial training.

If a person wants to smoke weed and meditate on the techniques and forms, whatever. That is one thing. But to smoke it and come to class or perform them - IMO bad idea. It not only impairs reactions but coordination as well - it's a good way to get yourself or others hurt and to create bad training habits.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, would you train under the influence of alcohol? Training under the influence of a depressant has never made sense to me. There is plenty of uses for Marijuana, but a MA training aid? :rolleyes:

I quit smoking years ago, because it made me profoundly stoopid. I would forget where my keys were for, like, 4 days after. I can't even imagine going into an exam stoned -- I would forget everything I studied.

That being said, I do typically have a couple beers or a couple shots before judo workouts. Everything hurts on me...old injuries and arthritis. So, dumbing down the senses works for me a bit in that context.

The colder winters make it worse, too. So I nip before I tip. (get it? Little kuzushi joke there?)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I didn't feel like retyping this so I got this from the thread I originally referenced

Some how I just don't think putting large amounts of tar and nicotine in your body is good for you... but maybe that is just me. Also I just don't think that not being in full control of ALL you faculties while practicing MA is a good thing either... but again maybe that is just me. Not in full control, punch someone in the face, when you were just drilling and suppose to pull it, and break there nose because you wanted more flow... I don't know...somehow it just is not working for me.

And I don't drink anymore either

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would not train with anyone I thought had been drinking alcohol or smoking pot, or anyone who acted inebriated or high. I would be concerned with my own safety.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I would not train with anyone I thought had been drinking alcohol or smoking pot, or anyone who acted inebriated or high. I would be concerned with my own safety.

Nor would I.

I had to deal with to many people in that condition when I was working in security at a hospital with a detox unit; I don't want to do it while training

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
So... if alcohol spawned "Drunken Kung-Fu"....

What would marijuana spawn?

Probably not much as the practicioners wouldn't get off the couch long enough to practice. LOL

Besides, the last thing kenpo needs is something that makes you hungrier after a seminar. ROFL

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So... if alcohol spawned "Drunken Kung-Fu"....

What would marijuana spawn?

Lunch-and-a-nap-fu.

Probably not much as the practicioners wouldn't get off the couch long enough to practice. LOL

Besides, the last thing kenpo needs is something that makes you hungrier after a seminar. ROFL

I laugh thinking of a pothead fighting anyway. "Dude, chill!" is about the most aggressive I can imagine one.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember reading not too long ago that if you were found with Cannabis Sativa in your system, you were disqualified from the sporting event in which you participated in. The only way I could think of this happening is that it's considered to be a performance enhancer.

My question is, do you all think Marijuana is a performance enhancer or performance reducer?

I can think of it as a performance enhancer in that it could be used for relaxing the muscles quickly, leading to a decrease in training down-time.

However, it could also be a reducer in that it leads to a decrease in motivation to train in the first place.
Couldn't possibly be prohibited 'cause it's, oh... ILLEGAL, could it?

Nah...

OP
K

Knives

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Couldn't possibly be prohibited 'cause it's, oh... ILLEGAL, could it?

Nah...
Not in all states and countries my friend.

However, I'm trying to see what opinions are of if as an enhancer or reducer, not so much the fact of why it can get you disqualified.

Lunch-and-a-nap-fu.
lol

Last edited:

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Specifically related to performance in competition, it's a performance reducer as you are putting it. It slows you in reaction time and mental acuity. After class fine, but if you are gonna compete then don't.

xJOHNx

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Maybe Tai Chi would benefit from it. Not monkey-stoned, 'till your eyes are bloodshot. Just a higher level of muscle control. Yes it slows down your reflexes, but I'm not aware of tai chi being about full contact..

apart from that, haven't touched it in 6 years. My inability to control myself under substances left me with enough scars of my soul. Even though alcohol was much worse in that.

Latest Discussions