15 year old BB asking for help

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
FYI - I have no connection to this person, just thought it might be helpful to get the word out in case anyone reading this would be interested in helping this young karateka out.

http://www.fayobserver.com/Articles/2009/10/28/946954

Published: 07:08 AM, Wed Oct 28, 2009
Britt black belt needs your help
By Randy Capps

One of life's realities is that chasing a dream can be an expensive proposition.

That's the boat Asante' Lee is in at the moment.

Lee, a 15-year-old sophomore at Jack Britt and a black Belt in Goju-Ryu Karate, is planning to compete in the National Blackbelt League World Championships and Sport Karate International Championships from Dec. 26-Jan. 1.

This is the 20th anniversary of the event, also known as the Super Grands, and in order to earn a spot, Lee had to compete in various qualifying events throughout the year.

Competitors from around the globe will converge on upstate New York to take aim at 113 recognized titles for junior, adult and senior fighters.

Winners receive a championship ring and, of course, a specially made black belt.

Naturally, a week-long trip to Buffalo costs money, and Lee is looking for support.

If you're interested in sponsoring Lee for the trip, contact his father, Nate, at [email protected].

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
my style in the USA does not give a shodan or shodan ho to any one under 18. the reason is that at least in this country a black belt is seen as some kind of expert in unarmed combat.. not true but that is how it is seen.

I think that in most western country's this is a good Idea to not give a shodan to some one under 18 years of age for that reason.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
my style in the USA does not give a shodan or shodan ho to any one under 18. the reason is that at least in this country a black belt is seen as some kind of expert in unarmed combat.. not true but that is how it is seen.

I think that in most western country's this is a good Idea to not give a shodan to some one under 18 years of age for that reason.

Then don't assist him.

Latest Discussions