Mantis Kung Fu

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is there anyone else here that studies the Mantis System. Not just northern but southern styles as well? If so, what specific Style do you study and how long have you been studying it?

I'm just curious, I can't seem to find anyone here that has studied this style.

7sm

T

TLH3rdDan

hi there, yeah i have studied some mantis styles not for an extended time period unfortunately... lets see first there was a brief encounter with roger haygood who taught a rare form of i believe it was a northern style of mantis cant remember the exact name, that only lasted a month, which was not a pleasant expierence and i feel like he is more of a con artist and mad man than a martial artist... then i studied for a couple of months with a group that was doing a mix of mantis styles which included... 7 star, tai mantis, and northern and southern mantis, unfortuantely they closed their doors due to the fact they could not afford to keep the place open anymore other wise id probably still be there... then recently ive been working with a wah lum pai school...

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thats to bad about the "con-artist" guy, its them who give MA in general a bad name! wah lum pai is a great system, good luck with it.

7sm

T

TLH3rdDan

for the link i couldnt remember if i had posted what region it was or not and was too tired last night to search lol... but anyway dont want to steer this thread in that direction... so 7star im assuming that you study 7 star mantis... have you tried any other mantis styles?

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by TLH3rdDan

for the link i couldnt remember if i had posted what region it was or not and was too tired last night to search lol... but anyway dont want to steer this thread in that direction... so 7star im assuming that you study 7 star mantis... have you tried any other mantis styles?

No, I haven't tried any other manits sytles, I've done a little wah lum through workshops and all, but thats about it. I studied Dragon Style and JKD couple years back. I don't think I would try any of the other mantis styles, I'm really liking 7* and I am wanting to teach, so I'll stay with it for a while yet.

7sm

S

Skarbromantis

I study 7 Star PM from the Won Hun Fun lineage, under Master Chow Chi Fung, im in my secound year of PM.

Skard1

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To those posting on this thread that we haven't said hello to yet. Welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy your time here. Please tell your friends about us we do not have that many people posting in the Chinese Martial Arts area and I for one would like to see it grow with knowledgeable friendly people.
Can one of you explain some of the diffrences between your style and lets say the Southern Bamboo Mantis system, or any of the other Mantis systems?
Shadow:asian:

T

theneuhauser

tshadowchaser
Can one of you explain some of the diffrences between your style and lets say the Southern Bamboo Mantis system, or any of the other Mantis systems?

i think you mean bamboo forest? jook lum.

southern mantis style is very different from northern (of which 7star pm is one). southern style has a greater emphasis on internal concepts, traditionally. southern mantis also tends to use close combat methods, which is typical of many southern chinese boxing methods. they use sticky hands practice that appears alot like shui chao? from wing chun. but the actual striking method is often different, ie-back of the wrist, phoenix eye fist, etc.
classic northern pm uses these techs, but southern developed them further. northern mantis has more kicks (no surprise) and uses a good balance of long range techniques as well. some northern styles practice forms and techniques that are tailored to confronting several opponents at once. thats why you see alot of movement in some pm forms.
ill keep it short because my experience is in wahlum which has its differences and my education in these other styles is really only minimal.
wah lum is also a pm style but its considered northern and southern? because the techs are very northern in appearance, but the wah lum temple is considered a southern monastery. it has some big differences from the other pm styles.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I did indeed mean Bamboo Forest thanks for correcting that blunder on my part .
Do you use many floor/ground techniques: ie sweeps, rolls, low leg traps, etc.?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've heard it three ways:

Southern mantis is a branch of northern mantis that's gone in a really different direction.

Southern and Northern mantis are both based on the mantis but are not related to one another beyond that fact.

Southern mantis bears no relation to Northern mantis or the mantis at all; it was named Southern mantis so people would think it was a branch of Northern mantis. This was done to keep its true nature secret.

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The best I can understand from my research, southern pm was developed when one of the original students of Wong Long, after goign his own way, began to adapt other techniques and style into his original pm. This caused "southern pm" to go a different way from the original pm he had learned. From that one contact, they have had basically no other similarities or combinations.
Southern style is claimed as a very secretive and deadly art, however they do not rely on sparring in this style at all. It is claimed that you have to achieve the style and not learn it, mor or less. Its also very hard to find an instructor.

JMHO

7sm

T

theneuhauser

Originally posted by tshadowchaser

I did indeed mean Bamboo Forest thanks for correcting that blunder on my part .
Do you use many floor/ground techniques: ie sweeps, rolls, low leg traps, etc.?

we used alot of sweeps(full ground sweeps and standing kick sweeps) very little rolling, and all the close techs include either a trap or a low kick (crushing step is fairly unique to mantis and it basically trains breaking the top of the foot with the heel).

Southern and Northern mantis are both based on the mantis but are not related to one another beyond that

i would agree with that statement because both systems do use mantis hand positions(mantis hook).

T

theneuhauser

Originally posted by 7starmantis

The best I can understand from my research, southern pm was developed when one of the original students of Wong Long, after goign his own way, began to adapt other techniques and style into his original pm. This caused "southern pm" to go a different way from the original pm he had learned. From that one contact, they have had basically no other similarities or combinations.
Southern style is claimed as a very secretive and deadly art, however they do not rely on sparring in this style at all. It is claimed that you have to achieve the style and not learn it, mor or less. Its also very hard to find an instructor.

JMHO

7sm

didnt bruce lee learn some of his sparring technique from a southern mantis instructor on the east coast? the type of sparring they do looks like wing chun.

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I hadn't heard that about Bruce Lee.

All the Sifu's I have ever been in contact with from Southern Mantis do not use sparring in their classes. So you do use sparring in your studies of it? Thats interesting. I wouldn't mind sparring someone from southern style, just to see how their techniques are.

7sm

T

theneuhauser

i dont know much about it but it uses both, phoenixeye fist is either used often or exclusively when fist punching, but the mantis hand is a useful striking tool in two ways; when an arm is parried downward at close range, it is sometimes more efficient to come up towards the head with the back of the hand(still in mantis hook) than to form a fist and try to make a backfist or a straight punch type attack. thats one of the skills that makes mantis considered "fast". i call it the "mantis pimpslap".

its also very effective to attack the back of the neck with the "hook side" from less than 45 degrees angle to the opponent, when i chop would be less effective.

i had to edit this to say that its not really the back of the hand so much as it is the brunt of the wrist, but i still like to call it the mantispimpslapperoo!

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:rofl: mantispimpslap!

I'm going to have to remember that and use it! I really like that type of hit though, it is very effective.

7sm

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've had a punch blocked on the inside of my wrist with the back of my opponent's wrist, mantis-style--that hurts!

T

theneuhauser

the inside of the wrist can be pretty sensitive, though. as you know from your training, its an easy point to use when you disarm an unsuspecting opponent with a short weapon.

Latest Discussions