Mantis Kung Fu

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by theneuhauser

the inside of the wrist can be pretty sensitive, though. as you know from your training, its an easy point to use when you disarm an unsuspecting opponent with a short weapon.

Very true, its a two edged sword in that way.

Hey:cool: You are now a brown belt! Congrats!

T

theneuhauser

oh yeah thanks!!!! blue looked alot cooler though:cool:

you mentioned in another thread that your sifu or sigung practiced at wah lum temple, do you have wah lum forms or seven star in your curriculums, if so what forms do you practice?
what is the system called or does it have a website?

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My Sigung studied at wah lum temple, but my sifu teaches strictly 7*. All our forms are 7*. Herre is the link for my school(I'm actually creating a webpage for them now, so we can get off this kinda crummy site its on now). LINK My school is the one in Tyler.

My sigung does workshops that we can attend at which he teaches some wah lum. I haven't had the oportunity to train with him, but once, and it was in a very large class. I really enjoy wah lum, and may eventually look into studying it more. I don't currently know any wah lum forms....well, I learned 1 but I don't remember much about it. Thats one of the problems with workshops.

7sm

S

Skarbromantis

Not to sound rude but why does the lineage chart show Won Hun Fun as a branch from Lee Kam Wing, is it an error?
Won Hun Fun was taught by Lo Kwon Yu, and not LKW, the chart makes it look like WHF was a student of LKW when he is actually a whole generation before him, just wondering.

Skard1

C

chufeng

Theneuhauser wrote:

"crushing step is fairly unique to mantis and it basically trains breaking the top of the foot with the heel"

Although mantis may use this tactic, it is NOT limited to mantis boxing systems. Fut Ga Kun uses stamping techniques quite a bit.
Sifu Harlan Lee is the heir to a system that is very similar to Wing Chun...and although the forms of that system looks like a medium range fighting system, truth is, it is more a short fist system and stamping is part of the arsenal... a very effective and unique system...

:asian:
chufeng

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Skarbromantis

Not to sound rude but why does the lineage chart show Won Hun Fun as a branch from Lee Kam Wing, is it an error?
Won Hun Fun was taught by Lo Kwon Yu, and not LKW, the chart makes it look like WHF was a student of LKW when he is actually a whole generation before him, just wondering.

Skard1

No it is just poorly done. It has students listed under their respective teachers. But it is hard to read. I think they forgot to post the "rule" that went with it, the dotted line means something else. Here is a MUCH more detailed lineage chart. Beware, its long and hard to read. LINK

Also, authentickungfu.com has one they haven't updated in quite a while. LINK

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There's a newly opened bike path that runs behind work and I have been taking a walk on it when time and the weather permit. I often see a praying mantis on the path. It struck me today that I am unnable to see such an insect without thinking of the associated kung fu system(s), and wanting to tease it with a stick to see how it fights. (I don't tease it, by the way.) It always makes me think of kung fu.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by arnisador

There's a newly opened bike path that runs behind work and I have been taking a walk on it when time and the weather permit. I often see a praying mantis on the path. It struck me today that I am unnable to see such an insect without thinking of the associated kung fu system(s), and wanting to tease it with a stick to see how it fights. (I don't tease it, by the way.) It always makes me think of kung fu.

Heh. I used to live by the fence of the airbase we lived on in Japan. We used to collect praying mantises from the vine-covered fence all the time and watch them fight. That, or we'd feed them big black crickets.

Cthulhu

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Heh, I love watching them! If we run into one we allways stop and punch at it with a stick trying to "get a lesson" from it! After all, this is how the system was created!!

Its really facinating to watch them catch their food!!

7sm

T

theneuhauser

im thinking about taking one in as a pet. i will raise it from the egg sack stage in order to avoid stripping away a wild bug's freedom. then i will mold and fashion his devastating predatorial killer instinct from birth by feeding live prey.It will be a symbiosis between me and the bug. i will bring him food and he will teach me kung fu. Only then will i learn true mantis boxing.

seriously, i think it would make a cool pet!

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That would be an awesome pet! My wife and I were out car shopping the other night and she found one on the hood of one of the cars, it was so tiny, it took a litle bit to determine if it really was a mantis! I was wondering if it knew any kung fu yet, so I played with it a bit, it's kung fu was still very weak!! :)

Latest Discussions