Makiwara

FieldDiscipline

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm sure this has been done before, so I apologise now.

Mid twenties Tae Kwon Do BB. Also needs hands for work!

I've just this week started using a makiwara to condition my forefist, backfist and ridge-hand. At the moment its just a bought one, on the floor, as I'm moving in two weeks, but I'm gonna set a good one up in the garden afterwards.

My question is, as I need a reasonable amount of dexterity in my hands for my work, do any of you hard-core makiwara users now suffer with arthritis etc? Also what do use on your hands? I have just been told normal dit da jow isnt intended for conditioning but I have seen these

http://coilingdragoninternalarts.com/cart/index.php?cPath=21

and

http://www.chinesehealtharts.co.uk/DisplayBigPicKungfu.asp?catno=3ironfist

I'm doing twenty hard strikes with each part followed by 100 half power strikes.

Thanks for all help.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I do quite a bit of training and I use the Iron Fist formula you posted. But I have taken a picture of my knuckles for you. Mine are not as bad as some but they are very hard adn dense from the makiwara training I do. Let me say this, go slow and take it step by step. I have hit a makiwara on a regular basis for 15 years and I do not have the problems that some do.

www.fisherkarate.com/knuckles.jpg

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Just my thoughts on this. If you are in a regular situtions where fighting weekly and for your life. It makes sense to toughen the hands,foot,shins, and other body parts (like kicking boxing,boxing,ring fighting), bouncer and part of a street gang,

For most of us...it is NOT necessary to go to the extremes of toughen the body parts. (since most of us will NOT face real fights on a regular basis.)

It is NOT really proven to cause arthritis and other problems, yet there are martial artist in later life do suffer medical problems. All Professional athlete's all do not suffer from there sports, (some off course do).

Do a reasonable amount...Do not go to the extremes, Be smart, the human body was NOT design for to be an ARMOR. Each person is different...what effects one may NOT effect others.

Those potions is suppose to help! ....but never use them or know of anyone who has. WANT UGLY HANDS? ...just keep pounding away!

Striking a makiwa does strenght the muscles..and toughen the hands, you can also get almost the same results on a punching bag too. (push-up on a cement floor can be added for tough knucles.

.....Be smart..go wisely....life will be better life later on (without the sufferings)....Aloha

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Another thought full power strikes are not needed when using makiwara just a reasonable amount of 1/4 to 1/2 power is perfectly fine.

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The makiwara's primary function is to teach you to correctly focus the power of your blows on a small spot. Some people think of it primarily as a hand-conditioning device but that's not what it was originally intended to do- Yes, it will toughen the flesh to some degree but more importantly, it causes the bones (of the bodily weapon) to become denser.

I've used one for many years and have had no ill effects whatsoever.

Latest Discussions