Looks like it's "Forced retirement" for me then, at least temporarily.

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
So, long story short, I decide it's time to get my finances back in order and sort my life out. so it's back to balancing my checkbook right and cutting my spending so that my debt can finally go down and it's into the safe with the credit card.

Unfortunately in order for this to happen one of the monthly expenses that had to be cut as nonessential was MA classes.

This is a thing which saddens me as the people there are like friends and family to me and not just teachers/ fellow students. It was that bond which was keeping me there even though the class structures/times have been changed such that the art( Silat) which drew me to the school and became my best beloved of what was taught there wasn't getting the exposure I craved anymore. I was willing to ignore that because I loved the people. But unfortunately, this is the Hard Choice I've had to make.

But it has to be done, I'm 5 days from turning 30 and my life has to be sorted. If I am very lucky I'll be able to go back, or find a pure Silat school and nothing but, or I may find something different that grabs me.

In the meanwhile I'll keep practicing what little I did learn and keep it burned in my system.

Just needed to vent.

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
It sucks, but don't sweat it too much. The MA will always be there waiting for you when you can get back to it.
Who knows, it could turn out to be a good thing. You might end up going to a better school when you do get back into it.
Just don't let it get you down in the meantime.
Peace.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear this, but it sounds like you have a plan and that's good.

Do you have a training partner(s) so you can keep training on your own?

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I've been there. I had to quit teaching to get my life sorted out and get back on the right path. It was extremely hard and caused many tears, but you do what you have to do. Martial arts will always be there.
There is a strong possibility I will return to teaching shortly, but school comes first, followed by work and family. In the end, I realized my priorities had to change.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Andy sometimes we must put our life into persective and you have made the first steps in doing this. In time you will be able to go back to training and everything will work it self out. You still will make the M&G in Buffaloe again right?

Shotochem

Purple Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Good for you Andy. It may be a little rough now but that sacrafice you are making now will really pay off in the long run. Good luck to you and keep up with it and practice at home don't let the ol' skills slip away.

MA will still be there when you are ready. Get yourself together and enjoy life a little more. If you get the bug and want to chat MA we are all still here.

-Marc-

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Do you have a training partner(s) so you can keep training on your own?

That's just what I was thinking... if you can work out some regular (or even irregular) sessions with a couple of people you've been in classes with, Andy, you can still have that component of the training, and as an additional bonus, you'll be able to keep some friendships (or at least friendly acquaintanceships) going even though you're 'between formal training periods'.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
You got to do what you got to do.

But I am guessing you will get back to official MA training in time, just keep working at it on your own and maybe, as it has already been suggested, you can find a training partner

fireman00

Brown Belt
Reaction score
good step in taking responsibility for your life - you're smart for recognizing things were out of control BEFORE folks came knocking on your door to repossess house/ car/ furniture.

There might be a school that will let you take classes if you teach - something to look for. If not, train on the side - running, aerobics, calisthenics, jump rope, forms, shadow sparring, heavy bag work, shadow sparring, pushups, etc.

Good luck!

PictonMA

Orange Belt
Reaction score
As an instructor / dojo owner of a decent size school (couple hundred students, large building) the last thing I want to see student stop training because of is finances.

There are ALWAYS things that need doing around the dojo and I never have enough time / help to get everything done - from landscaping, general maintanence, renovations, repairs, cleanup, advertising, flyer distibution, assistance with the beginners / kids etc etc etc - If a student couldn't afford to pay there are a hundred ways they can barter for their fees in the dojo.

Talk to your instructor and have an honest and frank discussion, maybe it's only a temporary thing until you get your feet back under you but I'm sure you will appreciate continuing to train and I'm willing to bet your instructor would appreciate some help around the club.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with Picton - as an instructor, I would always rather find a way for a serious student to earn his way if s/he can't afford the dues, than leave for financial reasons. If, however, that is something your instructor is not willing to do, then, as others have said, remember that MA will be there when you are once again financially able.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey Andy,

Some of the best MA training sessions I've ever had took place in a backyard or garage setting. You don't have to belong to a commercial dojo to learn from others and share your knowlege with them.

You don't have to "retire" from training. Until you can afford to get back into your preferred atmosphere try inviting people to work out with you in an informal setting. I never have trouble hooking up with good martial artists for good workouts. I belong to a commercial dojo and still get together in garages and backyards often with others that don't belong to one.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey Andy,

Some of the best MA training sessions I've ever had took place in a backyard or garage setting. You don't have to belong to a commercial dojo to learn from others and share your knowlege with them.

You don't have to "retire" from training. Until you can afford to get back into your preferred atmosphere try inviting people to work out with you in an informal setting. I never have trouble hooking up with good martial artists for good workouts. I belong to a commercial dojo and still get together in garages and backyards often with others that don't belong to one.

Andy, he is right on the money with this advice. Most of the time, family and work responsibilities keep me out of formal classes.... yet I practice now as much or more than ever. I got to do some serious bokken swinging once again by helping a friend who's going for his Shodan.... Helping another friend with cancer also gets me a short Qi Gong break every day with her....we regularly have people over to the house, sometimes having a great work out and then serving a dinner. Sunday late AM usually finds me doing Qi Gong and Tai Chi with 3 to 5 friends in our family room. There's plenty of stuff to read and research on the Internet, at the library - and that learning is free.

Don't give "retiring" a thought!

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Many of us, including me, have been there. The economy is beyond bad for those of us who used to be middle class. If things keep going at this rate, there will be no middle class at all, if there is one right now. The small group that is middle class is so blindsided with debt that I don't think it counts as middle. My dad's generation could go out after high school, get a job, then retire from that after 30 or so years. I have been through 3 layoffs in the past ten years and am tired of it. I love this country, but the people running it have left it in shambles. I guess if I were an oil company or big business, things would be better, but I am just a citizen. I don't count much anymore.

Anyway, have you considered building a martial arts workout group at a local park?

AoG