My MA Crossroads..........

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
Some of you may recall about 2 months back I cut out Formal MA training for financial reasons until I could get my financial house in order and figure what went where. I'm getting to be on top of that.

But, I wish that was the only reason I stopped going. :(

I haven't officially resigned from that school, but the fact is.... over the 2 years I've been there it seems like it's a point of diminishing returns in my case( 3 arts are taught there, only one I have an interest in( Indonesian Silat) and it's only taught once a week now ,for a shorter time space, and I feel like that isn't enough class time for me to become proficient in it to the extent I'd like to be( essentially I'm doing the same thing in class I was at this point last year with zero new material and in fact I had material last year that isn't gotten into now). There is an option to take private lessons but I just haven't the money to use that option on any consistent basis.

This is not anything against my teachers there, I love them, would do almost anything for them, they're the first teachers and students I've ever worked with that have become *friends* and not just teachers, and in some ways it breaks my heart to think of going elsewhere.

But I learn best by saturation, if there was one system, one art, that i could go to town on multiple nights a week, that'd work, I'm past the age where I'm in any "rank rush" and just want to learn an appropriate art for my situations/limitations and really take those multiple nights a week to really burn it in.

I have found a school for a comparable monthly rate, and only about an additional 15-20 minute drive which I will be investigating (Small-Circle Jujitsu), flat rate, number of classes are not limited per week/month. Apparently the owner(one Ed Melaugh) is one of Wally Jay's four named successors, so quality is less of a doubt.

Just a matter of budgeting out how to pay for it ( it can be done, but I may wait till the summer season picks up and I get back to 40-hour weeks again).

Just feel a little torn right now and wanted to vent. Thanks.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Andy vent away one must always feel like they are getting value in the art they are doing or why do it. It sounds like you have everything in control. The best of luck to you.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some of you may recall about 2 months back I cut out Formal MA training for financial reasons until I could get my financial house in order and figure what went where. I'm getting to be on top of that.

But, I wish that was the only reason I stopped going. :(

I haven't officially resigned from that school, but the fact is.... over the 2 years I've been there it seems like it's a point of diminishing returns in my case( 3 arts are taught there, only one I have an interest in( Indonesian Silat) and it's only taught once a week now ,for a shorter time space, and I feel like that isn't enough class time for me to become proficient in it to the extent I'd like to be( essentially I'm doing the same thing in class I was at this point last year with zero new material and in fact I had material last year that isn't gotten into now). There is an option to take private lessons but I just haven't the money to use that option on any consistent basis.

This is not anything against my teachers there, I love them, would do almost anything for them, they're the first teachers and students I've ever worked with that have become *friends* and not just teachers, and in some ways it breaks my heart to think of going elsewhere.

But I learn best by saturation, if there was one system, one art, that i could go to town on multiple nights a week, that'd work, I'm past the age where I'm in any "rank rush" and just want to learn an appropriate art for my situations/limitations and really take those multiple nights a week to really burn it in.

I have found a school for a comparable monthly rate, and only about an additional 15-20 minute drive which I will be investigating (Small-Circle Jujitsu), flat rate, number of classes are not limited per week/month. Apparently the owner(one Ed Melaugh) is one of Wally Jay's four named successors, so quality is less of a doubt.

Just a matter of budgeting out how to pay for it ( it can be done, but I may wait till the summer season picks up and I get back to 40-hour weeks again).

Just feel a little torn right now and wanted to vent. Thanks.

Nothing wrong with a vent session. :) I'm gone down the same road myself, regarding the class time, number of classes, and training vs. teaching time. Sometimes its necessary to move on. I'm not saying burn a bridge, but to find something that will make you happy.

Ed Melaugh is coming to CT this weekend for a seminar. I've heard alot of good things about him from a few different people, so if you have the chance to train with him, definately check it out.

Mike

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You have to do what you have to do. What you have learned will always be yours - but if you're not getting value for you money (especially in the current economy) then you have to take that into consideration.

Explorer

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The small circle concepts are very good ... effective and useful. I don't know the teacher of whom you speak, but I do know several instructors who trained directly under Professor Jay and they are all first rate. You could do a lot worse than Small Circle JJ.

We use many of Prof Jays concepts in tuite/chin na techniques ... it makes them much more effective.

xo

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
Andy...Any reason you can't get a few guys together to work out with on your own? Maybe there are some people from MT that are close in proximity to you that would want to engage in something like that....
I still work out out weekly with one of my peers...we get together to go over the material we have and to keep the body in motion.....

snoack

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You'll figure it out. Just focus on what you want and think positively.

OP
Andy Moynihan

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Andy...Any reason you can't get a few guys together to work out with on your own? Maybe there are some people from MT that are close in proximity to you that would want to engage in something like that....
I still work out out weekly with one of my peers...we get together to go over the material we have and to keep the body in motion.....

Not necessarily against the idea, could be fun, only thing is, while there's nothing wrong with being a "generalist" and doing a little bit of this and a little of that, I've basically been a "generalist" my whole involvement in MA and now want to pick a specialty too. One thing that works( striking arts are not "bad" or "wrong" they're just out due to my nearsightedness) and do it till it burns in.

But yeah, in the meanwhile, can't hurt to keep in some kind of practice.

OP
Andy Moynihan

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Of everything I've ever tried( Bastardized New England Kempo That You Can't Escape In New England(TM), TKD, Judo, Jujitsu, Boxing, Modern Arnis, Dekiti Tirsia Siradas Kali, A small amount of Wing Chun, and Silat (Kendang and Harimau styles), the ones I actually *like* enough to continue/go back to would be the Silat, Judo and Jujitsu. Those, and those specific substyles of Silat, are primarily standing grappling arts.

I felt like those were the most practical and there is a certain *taste* to them that something in me says "I like" ( Despite my earlier training being in all striking arts, i've come to accept that physically and temperamentally, I am *NOT* a natural "striker").

My natural nearsightedness( to the point that without my glasses I cannot accurately and quickly aim my sidearm without a laser sight) would also seem to make these logical choices. (I used to throw kicks in my younger days with my glasses off that had plenty of speed and good form but that always fell a few inches short. Outside the ring I don't HAVE "a few inches"). And I can't kick for **** anymore.

There's cheap Judo nearby ($60/month!!!) for about the same drive as my other school, and having once been a judoka, there is no doubt that it would melt the pounds off me and give me good tools and alive opponents,(I'm not happy about never having "sparred" in any form over the course of 2 years) but What I'm looking for is a few more tools.

There's BJJ somewhere around that area too, but it isn't what I want as my "specialty" art , NOT because it doesn't work, because we all know that it pretty much owns the ground game, but because I don't want my training to subconsciously "wire" me to keep *choosing* to take it to the ground.

I was introduced to Small Circle principles a while back and am intrigued by their efficiency, at least from personal research.

The Small Circle place offers 2 free classes so what can that hurt?

So things are not all 100% decided yet.

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Andy Moynihan wrote:
“But, I wish that was the only reason I stopped going.”

“I haven't officially resigned from that school, but”

“This is not anything against my teachers there, I love them, would do almost anything for them, they're the first teachers and students I've ever worked with that have become *friends* and not just teachers, and in some ways it breaks my heart to think of going elsewhere.”

“Just feel a little torn right now and wanted to vent.”

Andy I hope that you do not mind me commenting on your thread. My two cents may apply to you and your situation or it may not, it may also apply to others that find themselves in similar situations so I feel it might be worth the time to explore.

As students of martial arts I feel it is our job to be greedy in our training. It is our job to maximize the value of the time and energy spent training. It is our job to seek out the best instruction (what is best can be different for different people) available with-in our means and it is our job to train honestly at all times.

Any instructor worth their salt wants their students to get all that they can out of the training provided to them and to surpass the instructor in skill and knowledge. Good instructors will understand that not all students are on the same page that they themselves are on today. They realize that the students moving on is seldom a personal statement on the value of the instructors training or being but merely a student not getting value or a need met and that they now wish to start a different path. Both the student and the instructor should know that many paths branch off, veer to the left or right, often later up the trail they again merge onward. It sucks and is a energy drain to be on a path with a fellow traveler that does not enjoy and value the road even if they are silent. Better for all that they find their own trail rather than trudging on.

As an instructor and school owner as well as a student I too have faced this issue from multiple perspectives. What I have learned is that it is important for both the instructors and the students to be honest, perhaps brutally honest, especially with themselves. The student should have the courage to talk with the instructor and explain why they are leaving (or disappearing and training sporadically) and the instructor should have the courage to listen to what the student is saying. It is important for the student to have in their head a clear understanding of why they are leaving being aware especially of rationalizations and patterns in their training life. Where is the dissatisfaction coming from, is it external or internal, is it fear or ego based are just some of the questions that I have had to ask myself in the quiet of the night.

An instructor needs to hear the students’ explanation and to be big enough to proudly cut the strings and with some last advice and guidance let the student move on, hopefully on to better training. Perhaps with the conversation dissatisfactions can be addressed perhaps they cannot be, but at least they will be aired and understood and appreciated. I understand that the Hawaiian word Aloha doesn’t specifically mean good by but something more along the lines of til we next meet. A good instructor and a good student will have that same feeling when their training paths separate for whatever reason.

Andy, I am guessing that your instructors know it was not just financial reasons your leaving (even unofficially) and I am also guessing that tension has came about in your friendships. Good honest conversation will repair that torn broken hearted feeling with enthusiastic good will. We are all on the path and value those that we meet along the way even as they veer off here and there as they guide themselves on their own pathways.

Regards
Brian King

Reaction score
Hi Andy, thank you for your sharing
Martial Arts traing is both a journey of self-discovery and learning from one-s teachers. Many times a crossroad is the start of a new adventure in one's Budo/Wushu path. I wish you the greatest luck and success as you seek your future martial arts training. Do not give give, even when you are discouraged. Keep shaping your spirit through the maratial arts. Professor Jay is a wonderful teacher, also his Yudansha (Black Belts) are very committed to his teachings. Keep on training and talking to your Teachers and fellow sudents. Best wishes and prayers for your future decisions.

Yours in Budo/Wushu

Dr Rubin Frank Rhode, Sensei (Godan)

Latest Discussions