Looking for the perfect technique!

HopelessWriter

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I love Martial Arts(especially Tae Kwon Do), but unfortunately have had next to no formal training. My main passion in life is writing and I've hit an almost indestructible wall of writer's block. I want to use the most realistic methods in my stories, but I'm at a loss due to my lack of information. If anyone doesn't see this as a waste of their time(hopefully) I hope you all might have a few suggestions to keep the scenes in my novels as close to being legitimate as possible.

My Current Issue

In my novel at the moment my protagonist is trapped on a train facing an opponent at least twice his size who is in fact a BERSERKER. Due to the circumstances of the Berserkers' ability, his pain receptors are cut off and the large man fights like a uncontrollable wild beast. At the moment he blocks the protagonist's path into the next train car. Both charge at one another and the Berserker jumps into the air(barely missing hitting his head on the roof of the car) for what i can only describe at the moment as a superman punch. (I wish I had the actual technique name.) My question for you is this, " What technique would efficiently use the Berserker's momentum to send him the farthest down the car and give my protagonist enough time to make it to the next train car before his opponent gives chase?"

Once again I have a DEEP respect for you Martial Artists and I make sure that my protagonist uses his abilities in a self-defensive way. I feel it would bring shame to my work to disrespect Martial Arts in my books by having a character misuse them.

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Side step and parry the punch will redirect him past and make him fly past. Also If a guy can't feel pain go for his eyes even if it doesn't hurt he can't hit you because he can't see you. Or kick his legs even if he can't feel pain he won't be able to stand or be able to move as fast

OP
HopelessWriter

HopelessWriter

White Belt
Reaction score
A side step unfortunately wouldn't be able to be done. The car they're in is like most passenger cars where there is very little room other than the isle, but that has got me thinking. Also while the eyes are a great tactic berserkers have been known to walk (more or less) on broken limbs or take surely fatal attacks to bring an opponent within their range. I know berserkers are mostly fiction and myth but I'm hoping I can find a realistic way to evade and stall him with a single fluid motion.

Just a side note:
I'm using this scene to show the perspective readers that the protagonist isn't all powerful and at times has to escape rather than incapacitate them.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
For that situation (if I understand it right), my assumption would be that suddenly stopping and throwing a tai-otoshi would be incredibly risky, but could do what you wanted for a book.
Tai Otoshi (Body Drop) Technique
If you're interested in using a judo move for it, check out this website, as it has gifs of the official kodokan judo throws, and I'm sure that some of them could do what you're looking for. Animations of Judo Throws

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
There is no perfect technique, but in your situation I would suggest attack the throat with an elbow strike or headbut, anything that closes the distance and doesn't allow the opponent to strike effectively.

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
A side step unfortunately wouldn't be able to be done. The car they're in is like most passenger cars where there is very little room other than the isle, but that has got me thinking. Also while the eyes are a great tactic berserkers have been known to walk (more or less) on broken limbs or take surely fatal attacks to bring an opponent within their range. I know berserkers are mostly fiction and myth but I'm hoping I can find a realistic way to evade and stall him with a single fluid motion.

Just a side note:
I'm using this scene to show the perspective readers that the protagonist isn't all powerful and at times has to escape rather than incapacitate them.
Well if your fighting a fictional myth that can't feel pain and can walk with broken limbs it really can't be a realistic fight scene you'd have to do some Hollywood bs stuff

OP
HopelessWriter

HopelessWriter

White Belt
Reaction score
Love the site, it might come in handy later, but the problem is that Berserker is in midair and coming down with a massive amount of momentum. I know most are entirely fictitious, but are there any throws that can be done mid air?

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
You are asking real life martial artist on how to deal with a fictional fantasy sitaution.

You would need a fictional answer. We can't really answer this because people are not the way you describe this character.

MAfreak

Purple Belt
Reaction score
not sure if i got this right, but i think spontanously of tomoe nage:
tomonage.gif

OP
HopelessWriter

HopelessWriter

White Belt
Reaction score
Well if your fighting a fictional myth that can't feel pain and can walk with broken limbs it really can't be a realistic fight scene you'd have to do some Hollywood bs stuff

Though berserkers are primarily in fiction. Mind over matter can do near impossible things in real life. Though Hollywood uses primarily fictional moves, if you watch documentaries on many of them they used and researched actual Martial Art styles and techniques

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Though berserkers are primarily in fiction. Mind over matter can do near impossible things in real life. Though Hollywood uses primarily fictional moves, if you watch documentaries on many of them they used and researched actual Martial Art styles and techniques
I don't think anyone in real life could stop a mythical creature that doesn't feel pain and sometime they do but mostly these days they rely on quick edits and close ups. If you ever see a fight scene like that it means the actors don't actually know any martial arts

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
not sure if i got this right, but i think spontanously of tomoe nage:
tomonage.gif
This was the other throw I was thinking of, could not remember the name for the life of me. If the other guy is actually in midair, this is probably the only one that could really work.

OP
HopelessWriter

HopelessWriter

White Belt
Reaction score
I don't think anyone in real life could stop a mythical creature that doesn't feel pain and sometime they do but mostly these days they rely on quick edits and close ups. If you ever see a fight scene like that it means the actors don't actually know any martial arts

The point is for the protagonist to evade this beast, not defeat it. I'm just trying to make a story in which a character faces fictional challenges but uses quick thinking and their martial arts experience in order to survive them in a realistic way

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score

We don't need to watch said documentaries because we have first hand experience with that sort of thing. I am not trying to brag but many go through lots of body conditioning. This makes pain so to speak a thing that the at is often not felt.

Pain isn't felt often during a fight for people who are trained becuase we are so accostumed to getting hit, plus adrenaline also helps dull any pain. You do however feel the pain AFTER the fight is over. We know how to deal with people with high pain tolerance and that is usually to incapitcate them in various ways.

Depending on the fighting style those ways differ, many striking styles say crush their throat, if the character you mentioned cannot feel pain and is basically the juggernaut then that won't matter, pain or not he would still have to be able to breath.

Pain or no pain he can still also be knocked unconscious with a clean strike to the jaw or head. Of course if said character is immune to being rendered unconscious then all I can suggest is run away. Maybe do some Chinese filmography stunts and have the hero climb out of he train and run along the roof of it?

OP
HopelessWriter

HopelessWriter

White Belt
Reaction score
We don't need to watch said documentaries because we have first hand experience with that sort of thing. I am not trying to brag but many go through lots of body conditioning. This makes pain so to speak a thing that the at is often not felt.

Pain isn't felt often during a fight for people who are trained becuase we are so accostumed to getting hit, plus adrenaline also helps dull any pain. You do however feel the pain AFTER the fight is over. We know how to deal with people with high pain tolerance and that is usually to incapitcate them in various ways.

Depending on the fighting style those ways differ, many striking styles say crush their throat, if the character you mentioned cannot feel pain and is basically the juggernaut then that won't matter, pain or not he would still have to be able to breath.

Pain or no pain he can still also be knocked unconscious with a clean strike to the jaw or head.

I really think you're missing the point my friend. (Though I really do value your input) The point isn't to defeat this behemoth, but only to escape it.

And i suggest watching any of these films that Hollywood uses real martial arts in. IMDb: The Best Realistic Martial Arts Films - a list by cory-pelizzari . This was just a response to the phrase "Hollywood BS"

Also
Unlike you, I have very little experience in formal martial arts and I'm in this forum looking for educational suggestions, not judgement.

"A person on a quest for knowledge should not be chastised for not having any"

BTW This is a novel

OP
HopelessWriter

HopelessWriter

White Belt
Reaction score
Special thanks to MAfreak and kempodisciple! I think i found what i need to finally get past this batch of writers block. I'm very glad I decided to come to this forum and want to thank you all for your input. (Even Ironbear24 lol) Btw Ironbear GREAT IDEA with the escape out the window idea, you may have just saved me another writing block migriane.

I also want it understood that i do not employ sarcasm. Anything I post is simple sincerity.

I look forward to coming back (But hopefully not too soon lol)

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok. Well you are welcome to return any time you wish to. If it is possible, I feel you should take up martial arts training becuase it is clear you have a huge liking toward it. I think you would really enjoy it.

Latest Discussions