Looking for the perfect technique!

OP
HopelessWriter

HopelessWriter

White Belt
Reaction score
I used to spar alot in a secluded field with a friend. We would learn what we could from books and other martial artists and stay for weeks at a time just so we could defend ourselves at school. I really miss those days (the sparring not school). I remember one winter we had fought so hard that we stopped and burst out laughing because our bodies were literally steaming from our body heat. I also remember even with the bruises afterward thinking of our sessions closer to that of a dance than violence. I love Martial Arts and find it beautiful. Just wished i had formal training lol.

And in case your wondering, It did help in real fights, but i hated fighting in those situations (I think you could understand that Ironbear) Win or lose I always felt disgusted afterward. I guess i just always hated hurting people.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well congratulations. You are a martial artist, now go train, you owe it to yourself to do what you enjoy. Wishing never got anyone anything, actions are what get you places.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you're still around....welcome to Martial Talk.

I think it depends on where in your story you are, where you've taken the reader so far. Are you just establishing your protagonist's identity, his skills, his ability (or lack of) to deal with physical violence? If not, what do we know about him so far?

Is the Berserker an established character that will reappear or just a one time road block?

Is the tone of the novel a realistic, crime fiction type of work, or more of a fantasy genre?

Do you want this scene to show the protagonist's skill or smarts or everyday innocence?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
A suggestion for HopelessWriter...

Marc MacYoung has published a series of short books about writing about violence for authors and screenplay writers and the like... They're available on Amazon. I think Steve Perry, the writer, has also written about it a time two on his blog, Old Enough to Know Better, if you did around. Nothing takes me out of a book or movie faster than silliness in a fight scene... or gun stupidity, like when the hero chases the bad guy for a mile, and catches up -- only to rack the slide on his pistol. Are you telling me your hero was running around and chasing the bad guy without a round in the chamber? Or when a martial arts movement is described that's patently impossible... bodies only move certain ways and do certain things...

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In real life, you do get guys who take PCP and basically don't feel any pain. A cop I know told me that in those cases, hitting them or trying to do submission techniques doesn't work at all because they don't even feel it. Even with a broken arm they'll still try to keep fighting. IIRC, he said the best thing is for a bunch of guys to rush in and dogpile the guy until they can get the handcuffs on.

OP
HopelessWriter

HopelessWriter

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm back lol. Just wanted to make sure i worded this well enough. Let me know what you think.

note this is just the cliff notes version used for my story board.

With the raging beast coming down with a cobra strike already locked back for a full blow, August moves under the initial attack and jumps backward matching the Berserker's descending arc. Grabbing hold to the beast's shoulders in a tight grip, August compresses his feet against the monster's large waistline. Upon the severe impact, he allows the beast and himself to roll with the momentum until releasing the Berserker with a full force spring of both feet resulting in the makeshift Tomoe Nage sending it flying and rolling to the back of the improvised mobile lab.

Let me know what you guys think and thanks

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You might be making this more complicated than need be. You don't really need cliff notes, nor a storyboard, for a novel.

Where are you in the story....how many chapters in and how many planned until the end?
Has August already been firmly established? Are, we, the readers, already familiar with his skills?

OP
HopelessWriter

HopelessWriter

White Belt
Reaction score
So far , yes Augusts' skills has been established, this is the middle of the second arc of the novel. Surprisingly story boarding has been actually helping me out a lot. That, and my scriviner program. I tried to write it out as i normally would but i was stuck for about two years until i finally tried to story board it.

OP
HopelessWriter

HopelessWriter

White Belt
Reaction score
Also i'm not sure on how many chapters, it might be a beast like King's Desperation. That's why i prefer using arks rather than chapters

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
not sure if i got this right, but i think spontanously of tomoe nage:
tomonage.gif

As long as the attacker (in the air coming down) or the defender can place themselves where needed, this is one good way. The defender could roll up to his feet (facing the now open way to the door), and run towards the now open path to the railway door. The attacker should land far enough away to allow that.

If the attacker is high enough in the air, the defender might drop and grab or kick the attackers leg(s) in order to unbalance him, causing him to fall unbalanced and perhaps without doing a breakfall, and again, allow the defender to run away.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
We don't need to watch said documentaries because we have first hand experience with that sort of thing. I am not trying to brag but many go through lots of body conditioning. This makes pain so to speak a thing that the at is often not felt.

Pain isn't felt often during a fight for people who are trained becuase we are so accostumed to getting hit, plus adrenaline also helps dull any pain. You do however feel the pain AFTER the fight is over. We know how to deal with people with high pain tolerance and that is usually to incapitcate them in various ways.

Depending on the fighting style those ways differ, many striking styles say crush their throat, if the character you mentioned cannot feel pain and is basically the juggernaut then that won't matter, pain or not he would still have to be able to breath.

Pain or no pain he can still also be knocked unconscious with a clean strike to the jaw or head. Of course if said character is immune to being rendered unconscious then all I can suggest is run away. Maybe do some Chinese filmography stunts and have the hero climb out of he train and run along the roof of it?

Oh, come on Ironbear24, just have the defender jump feet first out the window (like Jackie Chan through the ladder), land on his feet and run along side the train as he gives his attacker the one-finger salute. 007 would have done that and he wasn't even a real martial artist. :);)

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Think about your general audience, not many people know these terms and will get lost in the many adjectives.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh, come on Ironbear24, just have the defender jump feet first out the window (like Jackie Chan through the ladder), land on his feet and run along side the train as he gives his attacker the one-finger salute. 007 would have done that and he wasn't even a real martial artist. :);)

The character James bond does know many martial arts though.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If he is airborne and you were uber quick. You could closline his legs. Dude would just flip pretty much over your shoulder.

Stand up and walk away.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
In real life, you do get guys who take PCP and basically don't feel any pain. A cop I know told me that in those cases, hitting them or trying to do submission techniques doesn't work at all because they don't even feel it. Even with a broken arm they'll still try to keep fighting. IIRC, he said the best thing is for a bunch of guys to rush in and dogpile the guy until they can get the handcuffs on.

In Vietnam, two MP's had a bad and unsuccessful time subduing a man high on barbs. One MP finally stepped back, drew his weapon and pistol whipped the miscreant. Apparently more afraid of killing him with the blow as it didn't work. He then shot the guy, twice, before the guy said he was tired, and was going to sit down and rest; but when he had rested, he was going to get up and really kick the two MPs butts. Fortunately, once he got down, he didn't get back up.