looking for a training camp

W

WannaBeAmachine

I am looking for a combat oriented training camp, i have seen Tew Ryu's camp and it looks like a freaken resort. I want one where they will treat me like worm sludge, and beat me like a red headed step child till i get the technique right. the camps length and price do not really matter as long as i leave the camp at least at the dan level. which at 8+ hours a day 5+ days a week historicly i would not think would take more than 60 days or so. In history i know a lot of the masters became so in very short intence periods of training.

this is probably an unrealistic request but if anyone knows anything about or even rumors about such a martial arts boot camp it would be greatly apreciated.

thanks.

Deaf

Green Belt
Reaction score
Why is it soo important for you to reach dan level? Gee, it still astounds me the mentality of people! "When I want it, I want it NOW!"

I honestly do not think that you are going to find anyone, camp or dojo that would seriously consider your request. The reaching dan level part that is. Now as far as being beaten until you get the techniques right..depends on the instructor :) However, you will hard press to find those as well since many of them do not teach the general public because teaching like that is a great way to get a lawsuit slapped on them.

I think what you really need to do is consider what and why you wish to train in ninjutsu and make some more realistic goals. It will take you a minimum of a year to 2 years to reach dan level, depending on your previous MA experience and natural ability IMHO.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Anyone who says they'll get you to shodan status in two months (60 days) is more concerned about your money than your training.

Cthulhu

Jay Bell

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
machine,

Come to Phoenix and I'll beat on ya for 60 days. You won't get a shodan, but at least I'll have fun.

(yes...I'm kidding)

OP
W

WannaBeAmachine

Originally posted by Deaf

Why is it soo important for you to reach dan level? Gee, it still astounds me the mentality of people! "When I want it, I want it NOW!"

I think what you really need to do is consider what and why you wish to train in ninjutsu and make some more realistic goals. It will take you a minimum of a year to 2 years to reach dan level, depending on your previous MA experience and natural ability IMHO.

not to be a smart *** but i think of dan as the mark of excellence, when you are a dan you are good, period. As for my reasons for wanting it both "NOW", and wanting ninjutsu are both very rational and reasonable I feel. Unlike what you might think i am not a 12 year old who has watched to much ninja turtles. As of now I am an FO(forward observer) for the Marine Infantry, and while i have had the U.S. Marine Corps hand to hand/hand to weapon combat training and feel pretty secure in my abilty to hold my own in about any street/bar situation what worries me is the one time I go on a FLASH or RAID team and some 300lb arab comes out of the wood works with a AK affixed bayonet and i find myself grossly over powered and/or cought off guard, and out of amo. this may seem like a pretty slim possibility, and hopefully i would have back up anyways but it only takes once for something like that to happen.
As for why ninjutsu, from what i have heard about ninjutsu, not seen on movies, it is very practical for true combat situations as it does not hold to standard rules of sporting martial arts.

no this is not a movie but for those of you living sheltered lives sometimes it really does come down to kill or be killed.

hope that explains my reaons a little,

anyone out there with helpful info vs. derisiv preaching?

Jay Bell

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
not to be a smart *** but i think of dan as the mark of excellence, when you are a dan you are good, period.

Such a statement is mere speculation. I could form a line that spanned across the Arizona border that would disprove that statement.

If Bujinkan is what you'd like to train, then go check out classes. I would advise, though, changing your outlook a bit...unless you truly want the snickers and chuckles. There are people in the Bujinkan that study diligently for a decade-plus, and have yet to receive a Shodan.

Many people would like the "quick and easy route". It doesn't apply here. You get what you put into it...and such a short period of time wouldn't be much at all.

You mentioned you were Marine infantry? Jack Hoban is putting together CQB for the Marine's based on Budo Taijutsu with it's own seperate ranking structure..

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=26437

OP
W

WannaBeAmachine

Actually I'm not infantry, I'm FO for the infantry which is in the intel field. anyway though to stay on track...

unfortunately i haven't had a chance to do the NEW combat training, just the old which was in my opinion pretty much a waste, so i have been assuming that the new system which i was told, incorrectly apparently, was based on muay thai, and jujitsu, ws also. reading the link you sent though i may just have to starting pulling a few strings to get to the classes asap. thanks for the good link.

and the reason i thought, and heck honestly still think that a person can get skilled in a martial art in a short amount of time is because it has been done, when reading historicly about various martial artist, many individuals have become dan level in 30 - 60 days a lot of it i agree totally is based on the persons natural ability as well as devotion, which is why i feel if i could dedicate 60 days to nothing but training 10 -14 hours a day i could become fairly proficient, not a master or anything, but good none the less at nearly any martial art. I promise my devotion to excellence is complete, i just hate training 2 hours a day 3 days a week, if you add it up 2 years of 6 hours a week of instruction is about the same as 60 days 10 hours a day. so make the training days about 14 hours with breaks to eat, sleep, and piss and that is actually more time than 2 years of steady lessons and practice, and hell i usually work more than a 14 hour day anyways.

the only way i will ever believe something can not be accomplished is when i fail at it myself, and as of yet i think absolutely nothing is impossible.

like my recruiter said about 4 years ago, "it's all about the want to"

thanks for all the advice, i know it is all with good intent, and by the way i totally agree with your statement in the second to last paragraph, a person does get out what the put in, and i'm more than willing to give every hour dawn to dusk, blood, sweat and tears, to get where i want to be.

OP
J

Jason Chambers

Intel or not, you're still a Marine FIRST. Doesn't your training provide for such situations?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jason Chambers

Doesn't your training provide for such situations?

Every Marine is a Rifleman, not a boxer. Hand-to-hand combat is taught but not emphasized. They go with the odds--how much more likely is it that you'll be shooting at someone than wrestling with them?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You may want to check out out Modern Arnis forum. I just posted a listing of the main US groups upcoming camps. There are some real heavy hitters in the mix there. I'm not aware of any group that will promote that fast, however, if you're not so much concerned with the actual grade, but the combat effectiveness of the training itself that opens more options to you.

Another art that I believe may allow for rapid mastery is Krav Magra, but I don't have any experience with them.

Good luck, and welcome to Martial Talk. :)

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kaith Rustaz

You may want to check out out Modern Arnis forum. I just posted a listing of the main US groups upcoming camps. There are some real heavy hitters in the mix there. I'm not aware of any group that will promote that fast, however, if you're not so much concerned with the actual grade, but the combat effectiveness of the training itself that opens more options to you.

Another art that I believe may allow for rapid mastery is Krav Magra, but I don't have any experience with them.

Good luck, and welcome to Martial Talk. :)

You've got to be careful with Krav Maga...some of the people claiming to teach the system are pretty shady. I believe arnisandyz has posted an account where he went to someone claiming to teach the system, and all they did was show him a videotape. However, every system has its share of disreputable characters...this isn't just limited to Krav Maga.

Cthulhu

OP
J

Jason Chambers

Originally posted by arnisador

Every Marine is a Rifleman, not a boxer. Hand-to-hand combat is taught but not emphasized. They go with the odds--how much more likely is it that you'll be shooting at someone than wrestling with them?

I was under the impression that a Marine recieved a bit more specialized training during BT and thier duty assignment... at least that is how most would portray thier training.

As for me, I was RA and always considered myself a soldier first, rather than a mechanic. Mostly because I was always on OP in the field... never fixing things.

Little Army Trivia:

What FM covers foxhole construction? Yes, there is one. :rofl:

OP
R

Rob_Broad

If he wants to be truly lethal we could hook him up with Ashida Kim or in some Chung Moo classes.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

OP
W

WannaBeAmachine

just so you guys know i really apreciate the feed back.

can you all tell me a little more about krav magra, and/or chung moo i have never heard of these..

thanks again

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Narn Rob-Broad I did not know that kim had a school in that area.
I should have visited it whenI lived out there. I'm sure it would have been an interesting experence. ;)
If machine can get up to the LA area a wlk outsde of UCLA (about a 2 blocks off campus in any direction he might find what he is looking for.
Or he can look up BLAse I think Blase has a web site BLASEHAllA (???) i know he can find some realistic training there.
Any UFC training acadimys nearby
Sadow

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok ye Kim bit was a joke:)
But I was serrious about Blase (SP) he runs a good school He studied with Guru I for about 15 years eas in the Spcial forces(I think) and has studied in PI with the Muslems Also went back to his Native American roots for training
Shadow

KumaSan

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I think this is what you're looking for tshadow. I remember reading about this guy a couple years ago. Impressive stuff.

Turner

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I was a live-in student at the Budo Karate House (you will see advertisements for it in Black Belt Magazine) and thought it was just awesome. The training was rough and it certainly wasn't a resort. But its not going to be a 60 day cake walk. The program is for 3 years. By the end of the 3 years you will be a darn good full contact fighter and in the best shape of your life. I only attended for 57 days but left because I realized that my priorities were screwed up and that instead of conquering my ego, this camp was feeding it.

While I was there quite a few students came and left. Some didn't last three days, others managed to stay for a few weeks, but the training was too tough for them. (Strange that it wasn't for me and I was 260 pounds about 80 pounds overweight, when I arrived home I weighed 230 pounds, losing 30 pounds in just two months.) The program is Kyokushin-Kai Karate based on Oyama's program in Japan, which the instructor attended. Its rough, its tough, and it will open your eyes to the reality of the martial arts. I recommend it to anyone that has three years and is willing to dedicate their lives to the martial arts.

OP
W

WannaBeAmachine

sounds like a mentally challenging school more than physically, although i'm sure thats not easy either... sounds a lot like boot camp actually, i went in 215 about 30 lbs over weight came out after 3 months at 175. and like the budo karate school i saw a lot of guys, in better shape than me break.

not meaning to state the obvious, but i think this is a good example of mond over body... "it's all about the want to."