Looking for a sword art uniform patch

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm looking for a sword patch for a uniform, preferably a katana. I've looked at several patch places, and haven't had any luck. Also, something with the kanji for sword would also work.

Thank you :)

The kanji I believe is this one:

Attachments

• $ken 2.gif
    4.9 KB · Views: 320
OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Charles Mahan said:
Good heavens why?
To place on 1 of my gi's.

Also, I collect patches, and they interest me if they exist.

R

Ronald R. Harbers

Watch out boys & girls, Charles is a traditionalist!

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ronald R. Harbers said:
S'ok. I'm looking for a traditional Japanese sword art to study. :)

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I got error pages. :) I hate them too. :D

R

Ronald R. Harbers

Try "Kenjutsu International Association of Instructors." That will piss Charles and his elite off to no end!

R

Ronald R. Harbers

I find it amusing that you call anyone not affiliated with your Ryu a McDojo. I study under very qualified instructors. I will never insult anyone I have not visited firsthand. To hell with E-Budo, most of those guys never have been in combat. I may be 52 years old, but I still think I can bust a glove or two.

Charles Mahan

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Believe what you want to belive Ronald. You clearly have some beef with me. No idea what it might be. I do not style bash. Period. Your accusation that I do shows a complete ignorance of my posting history. I have gone out on limbs to smite style bashers more times than I care to think about.

McDojos aren't styles. By definition a McDojo is an establishment which is being taught by someone who made everything up and is now passing it off as a real system. The typical McDojo instructor may have been to a few seminars but is in no way qualified to teach what they learned. As such they are deserving of bemusement.

M

MisterMike

Kaith Rustaz said:
I'm looking for a sword patch for a uniform, preferably a katana. I've looked at several patch places, and haven't had any luck. Also, something with the kanji for sword would also work.

Thank you :)

The kanji I believe is this one:

I think "katana" is written as it is on my website (under the katanas section)

Charles Mahan

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I believe you are correct. When it stands alone, that kanji reads katana. Put the kanji for large in front of it, and it becomes to, as in daito.

Saitama Steve

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Chelsea, London, UK/Souka-shi, Saitama Ken, JPN
Ronald R. Harbers said:
I find it amusing that you call anyone not affiliated with your Ryu a McDojo. I study under very qualified instructors. I will never insult anyone I have not visited firsthand. To hell with E-Budo, most of those guys never have been in combat. I may be 52 years old, but I still think I can bust a glove or two.

With the questions you have asked and the threads you have started on this particular section of the board referring to sword, it is glaringly obvious that you don't have much in-depth knowledge of JSA.

Most Japanese sword arts are traditional by default. Kendo is a gendai budo (A modern martial art) and it has a strong sense of tradition. Koryu budo (classical/ old school martial arts) like kenjutsu or iaijutsu depending on school are always steeped in tradition. That's how they survive and are promagulated to students. Not on a large scale like modern arts like karate or aikido, but the schools systems are still passed on.

A large number of the members who participate on E-budo do either gendai or koryu sword arts and are rather well skilled and some have spent a rather long time in Japan studying these traditions. Your using the excuse "To hell with E-Budo, most of those guys never have been in combat." is just a cop out because you have less knowledge. Your ability to "bust a glove" as you put it really doesn't cut any ice either.

Some koryu practicioners actually do partake in some MMA like BJJ and shootfighting as well. And if you think traditional Japanese martial arts aren't really that combative, why are eye gouges, ear slaps, and other vital strikes taught in jujutsu? Or how about Ken/iaijutsu where knowledge of anatomy is taught when training in kata, so that the most effective cut is made?

The Kenjutsukai is rather an antithesis of what real traditional kenjutsu is. You can't just take techniques and kata from different ryuha and systemize them the way you can with karatedo. Besides technique, each kenjutsu ryuha has it's own flavour, it's own individual concept of how to combat enemies and it's own psychological mindset.

Now back to the topic of the thread; Most JSA systems/schools don't use patches on their keikogi, unless it's a montsuki for demonstrations when a family crest (kamon) are used on the back, shoulders and sleeves of the montsuki.

H

Hyaku

Ronald R. Harbers said:

But I thought kenjutsu was a traditional pursuit. Did I missed something?

There can be certain misconception when it comes to wearing clothes in budo. Wearing traditional costumes does create an impression of living in the past. But at the same time smart simplicity is respected, brash dress laughed at. Even in the 1600's men went around wearing gaudy things to advertize themselves as an available sword for hire and got killed by the simply dressed.

The main idea is to look smart but unobtrusive and show who you are and what you do out on the dojo floor.

Now as Saitama Steve has actually had to get dressed up to demonstrate in Nippon Budokan he would know something about that.

R

Ronald R. Harbers

A human who cannot accept the discipline of his peers, can never be a true human being.

Latest Discussions