Looking for a Start

APOModern

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm very new to the community and am looking to start learning A martial art when I return to college after the Summer, but don't know what to pursue yet. I understand there are threads for beginners, but what I am curious about is which Martial Art people chose as their first and why whether it was most accessible, most appealing, most challenging at the time etc.

CrazedChris

Green Belt
Reaction score
I chose mine based on accessibility, the fact that I know and trust the Sensei with my kids, and affordability.
I would see what your area had to offer and check the different schools out. See the pros and cons they hold for you.

GreatSayiaman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to Martial Talk :) by the way. Liked Crazed Chris said check on the accessibility, being able to trust your instructor and affordability, Also see what is available in your area your offer. It was not my first art but if I had to say the most challenging and appealing for a stand up art that includes Strikes, Clinch Work, Throws and Sweeps Muay Thai is the one to chose, Love the challenges and sparring that comes with Muay Thai, Plus like all the Arts its got that rich Tradition behind it.

However if you want something that is more ground work oriented I would go with Brazilian Jiu Jitsu/ Gracie Jiu Jitsu. But train the art you would be pleased to train under and be happy with.

Ryan_

Green Belt
Reaction score
Depends on what you want to gain from it, what you want to learn and which is the one you are most likely to stay committed too. My first martial art was Kong Soo Do but really I was only a kid at the time I started so not much thought went into it for me, then.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm very new to the community and am looking to start learning A martial art when I return to college after the Summer, but don't know what to pursue yet. I understand there are threads for beginners, but what I am curious about is which Martial Art people chose as their first and why whether it was most accessible, most appealing, most challenging at the time etc.
First you should decide what you want out of it.

Fitness? Discipline? Community?

Do you like a traditional setting and atmosphere? (Wearing gi, calling your teacher sensei or Sifu, bowing, etc)

Or do you wish to learn to fight or become a better fighter?

Do you want to strike or grapple? Both? Do you want to learn to throw fancy kicks or are you more concerned about learning to use your hands?

Once you can answer these then you can choose a style accordingly. If you can not answer these questions I'd say just try out your nearest club or dojang

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's really more as to what is available to you, comfort you have with the facility and people, and how you feel about the instructor/s than it is about the particular art. Are you having fun, are you getting a good physical workout, are the skills others in the school real or seem to work only in a particular set up or only against a compliant partner?

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. My advise is try as many trial classes as possible. If you are in a large market they should be plentiful so pick a few out from different cultures to get the full flavor. You will likely find the one that feels right. Don't rush a decision on one opinion.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score

The most important thing is that you get a good master. Don't worry about what art it is. Find someone who meets these requirements:

• Affordable for you
  • Accessible for you (times are good with your classes, not too far away)
  • Knows their stuff
  • Knows how to teach their stuff
  • Does so in a way that makes you want to come to class

The last part is the most important. If you want to have fun, get some exercise, and learn some martial arts while you're at it, you're going to enjoy different schools than someone who wants to drill drill drill.

OP
A

APOModern

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thank you for everyone your help everyone and for welcoming to the community! I'll check my area and visit what I can reach as well as talk to a few friends at school who have been practicing for a long time in the are on what they recommend. From the sounds of it, patience is key at any rate and with luck, I'll find the one/ones for me.

I'm aspiring to be an Army office when I finish my program and degree at college and my goal with martial arts as of now is to further build my discipline, physical effectiveness, and appreciation for life while using it as a form of meditation when I'm stressed.

Last edited:
OP
A

APOModern

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The most important thing is that you get a good master. Don't worry about what art it is. Find someone who meets these requirements:

• Affordable for you
  • Accessible for you (times are good with your classes, not too far away)
  • Knows their stuff
  • Knows how to teach their stuff
  • Does so in a way that makes you want to come to class

The last part is the most important. If you want to have fun, get some exercise, and learn some martial arts while you're at it, you're going to enjoy different schools than someone who wants to drill drill drill.

I'm not sure how I would recognize a master who "knows their stuff," since I'm so new. I'm sure you can get a "feel" for it, but hopefully I can feel a bond/trust when I find the right one like you said.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm not sure how I would recognize a master who "knows their stuff," since I'm so new. I'm sure you can get a "feel" for it, but hopefully I can feel a bond/trust when I find the right one like you said.

This is kind of the point I make in another thread I started - how do you advertise that you know your stuff.

My advice would be to watch a few classes and see what the difference is between the beginning students and advanced students. Then you'll probably get a good idea of how he teaches.

OP
A

APOModern

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'll check that thread out and see if I can do that in my area. Thanks

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Practically, one of the main reasons that people choose a certain art is because it's offered near them. No matter how great a certain art is, if there's no school near you, you can't do it. Also, many martial arts schools focus primarily on teaching children, and may not have a strong program for adults. Then you have to look at what those adult programs are, and if they'll meet your needs. If a school offers, for example, Tai Chi classes, but you're looking to learn immediately useful self-defense techniques, that might not be a good fit.

If you want some help in choosing a style, I'd suggest that you start by making a list of some schools that are convenient for you to get to, and also a list of what you're looking to get out of martial arts classes. If you post some links on here, we can check out the schools websites and see which ones look like they'd meet your needs.

Most schools offer a free or low-priced trial program, where you can take a few beginners' classes without committing to anything more. That will give you a chance to try the school out and see if you enjoy it and it's a good fit.

OP
A

APOModern

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Practically, one of the main reasons that people choose a certain art is because it's offered near them. No matter how great a certain art is, if there's no school near you, you can't do it. Also, many martial arts schools focus primarily on teaching children, and may not have a strong program for adults. Then you have to look at what those adult programs are, and if they'll meet your needs. If a school offers, for example, Tai Chi classes, but you're looking to learn immediately useful self-defense techniques, that might not be a good fit.

If you want some help in choosing a style, I'd suggest that you start by making a list of some schools that are convenient for you to get to, and also a list of what you're looking to get out of martial arts classes. If you post some links on here, we can check out the schools websites and see which ones look like they'd meet your needs.

Most schools offer a free or low-priced trial program, where you can take a few beginners' classes without committing to anything more. That will give you a chance to try the school out and see if you enjoy it and it's a good fit.

Thanks for the tips

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I originally did judo because I thought being able to shoulder throw someone would be cool.

OP
A

APOModern

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I originally did judo because I thought being able to shoulder throw someone would be cool.

I think that beyond physical fitness, I'm looking to be able to defend myself should the need arise as I've always been a tall, but pretty skinny dude so I want to be able to defend/take care of myself and people close to me.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think that beyond physical fitness, I'm looking to be able to defend myself should the need arise as I've always been a tall, but pretty skinny dude so I want to be able to defend/take care of myself and people close to me.
Stop being a,skinny dude then ! and do a martial art,

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm getting there haha
Seriously, if your serious about being able to defend your family, then throw some weights about and eat more, you be less skinny and a lot stronger long before you mastered what ever art you choose,

Latest Discussions