Long Fist Systems... The reality?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So I'm going to dive in to this arena for a little bit, and before I start, I just want to make it known in this thread that I train in a Long Fist system.

One of the many disappointments that I see in the long fist system is that it students will train it and never use it in sparring. I've seen it in my last school . I think not using the techniques has a much larger and negative effect when it comes to functional applications. Long Fist is the root of Long Fist systems and not to even use the concepts of long fist is disappointing. Hope this is changing in the near future especially since I thing Long Fist systems have the potential to be able to stand up there with the best systems.

Your thoughts about the direction of Long Fist Systems.

What do you think? Are these systems losing their function?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but my take on these post tell me they should be titled....

"my attack on systems I did not train enough or properly, if at all and know little about the history of...the reality"

I will say no more in this post or any of your future attack posts after this so feel free to all that follow to attack away...I will leave you with...Long fist comes from Changquan...you may want to research its history. And Most Long Fist you find today is form based, modern wushu. MOST martial arts systems, and many Chinese systems, do not need to be fixed or changed for the future to make them effective. They need to be trained properly as they were originally trained....and most are not

Have a nice day

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

"my attack on systems I did not train enough or properly, if at all and know little about the history of...the reality"

I will say no more in this post or any of your future attack posts after this so feel free to all that follow to attack away...I will leave you with...Long fist comes from Changquan...you may want to research its history. And Most Long Fist you find today is form based, modern wushu. MOST martial arts systems, and many Chinese systems, do not need to be fixed or changed for the future to make them effective. They need to be trained properly as they were originally trained....and most are not

Have a nice day
I haven't seen any attacks in this post. Nothing I've stated in my post is an attack either. If you have information that you would like to share then feel free to share it. The small bit that you have shared is good information especially if you can point people in the right direction or towards more accurate information.

Everything you say about the system needing to be trained properly is something that I strongly believe as well, to the point where I don't believe in splitting a system into a "healthy only component". My personal thoughts is that a person who only trains martial arts for health gets only half of the health benefits.

I think the only way to get the full health benefits of a martial arts is to train it for function, right down to the sparring. I believe that even the lightest of sparring has good health benefits. Sparring can be done without head shots or it can be done to practice a specific skill set. I think people short change themselves when they only train for one part.

I think too many people make the assumption that things can be split and extracted in a pure component. A good example. Vitamins. While vitamins are good, our body makes better use of vitamins from food. In order to do that one would have to change their diet and eat healthier, this in turn would reduce obesity issues. I think Kung fu is like that.

In terms of long fist I think it's a great study in body mechanics. The science of it always amazes me, but the only way to see it and experience it is to train it functionally. I'm not sure why my son is suddenly interested in Kung Fu, but I see the amazement in his eyes when I explain kung fu from a practical easy to understand way. I used a long fist technique to explain how to "dropping ones weight." I did the technique as we were training and I told him to block my attack. When my arm reached his arm. I stopped and placed my arm on his guard. Then I gently sunk my weight on his guard. He was amazed a how much heavier my arm became from such a small movement.

I think there are a lot of wonderful things that people miss out on simply because they do not use the techniques. Through my own experience I think there are things about long fist that can only be learned by trying to use the techniques. To be honest I think that's true for all systems. But for long fist, I'm afraid that so much is lost when student's do not try to use the techniques.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

You do know that JowGaWolf trains in a long fist system, has done so for a long time, teaches that system, believes in its functionality, and has spent a significant amount of time experimenting to find the best ways to train and apply it, right?

I wouldn’t say that he’s attacking the system at all. He’s concerned about practitioners who either don’t spar and pressure test their long fist or else when they do, they give up too easily on actually applying the techniques and principles as they are taught.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
or else when they do, they give up too easily on actually applying the techniques and principles as they are taught.
This breaks my heart regardless of the system. The abandonment of ones training and of the techniques.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, I train what could arguably be called the longest of the long fist methods. I do it because I believe in the method. It has helped me understand certain body mechanics and principles like full/body connection and power generation in ways that no other experience that I have had with other systems has been able to.

I don’t see any need to justify it as a method. I am a firm believer in “different strokes for different folks” and we all need to find a method that speaks to us and is a good match for us personally. I believe that I have found that for me, and what others may think of it is of no consequence.

one’s mileage may vary.