Is long fist effective?

qianfeng

Green Belt
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone who has experience with long fist could tell me if it is a good style or not. My sifu is of the opinion that most of long fist is as he calls it 花拳绣腿 "flowery fist and embriodery kicks". I wonder if this is true? The only long fist i have seen is the wushu versions with a lock of windmilling of the arms with no power. so yeah... Does anyone have videos of traditional longfist forms?

P.S
I think his slightly biased lol. He doesnt mention pigua quan having a lot of arms windmilling LOL!

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score

Here is the first set learned from Wing Lam's northern long fist program. The long fist does use lots of big movements to train whole body usage and then in application those movements become smaller and more compact while retaining their power.

As with all styles, if it is effective is based on how one is taught and trained and their understanding of how to use it.

Last edited by a moderator:

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes it's effective as anything else & was stated it depends on how you were taught.

I spent Friday night training with Sifu Kisu, the choreographer of "The Last Avatar" & other stuff. I wouldn't want to cross him up. He was taught properly & experimented with his Buk Siu Lum on his own to know exactly how to make it go.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
花拳绣腿

My Sanda Shifu said that about a lot of martial artists.....not so much the arts they trained :lol:

Already been said.....real long fist is very effective.

The thing is much of the "Long Fist" you see these days is the modern wushu version which is more acrobatic than martial

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Does anyone have videos of traditional longfist forms?

The long fist system has all the

- jab, cross, hook, uppercut, hammer fist, back fist, ...
- front kick, side kick, roundhouse kick, crescent kick, ...

If you add Shuai Chiao (Chinese wrestling) into it, you will have Sanda/Sanshou that does not require boxing or MT.

Here is a traditional long fist form. There is nothing fancy in it. The long fist system is the mother of all TCMA systems. Even the Taiji, praying mantis, ... system came from it. If you want to build a solid foundation in TCMA, the long fist system can be your "base".

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Q

qianfeng

Green Belt
Reaction score
thanks havent seen traditional long fist form before looks quite a bit different. And slapping noise Lmao! How does he make it...

OP
Q

qianfeng

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yeah it looks a whole different to the wushu stuff i have seen!

Latest Discussions