Lone wing chun practitioners need help!!!

OP
H
Reaction score
Lol it was a form i found online for the sake of attempting , it was probably Ip chung , been practicing it for the past few days as well as the tan da excercise , its gotten smoother... but ... it's definately Ip Chung's form, now i remember

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
Lol it was a form i found online for the sake of attempting , it was probably Ip chung , been practicing it for the past few days as well as the tan da excercise , its gotten smoother... but ... it's definately Ip Chung's form, now i remember

HLF, Ip Chung is a football player in Hong Kong. If you're talking Ip Man's sons (gung fu) there is Ip Chun and Ip Ching, no Ip Chung or Ip Ching. So who your SNT form from, Ip Chun or Ip Ching?

Domino

Black Belt
Reaction score
Your form has changed if it is Ip Man form.
When you start SLT, punch then flat palm up and huen sau, huen sau palm must face floor, like grabbing someones shirt.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Holy Moly, guys! I can't believe this thread is still going. Most of you have agreed that there's no way to learn WC through "distance learning" online, even with a well organized curriculum, much less trying to do it by watching Youtube clips and getting random input on a forum like this. Look, I "feel Haris's pain". He doesn't have a qualified instructor and we all wish to help him. But we aren't. We are just encouraging him to go down the path to bad habits and bogus technique.

Haris, If you really want to learn WC you have two choices. First, try to get a group together to share training and the expense of instruction, then...

1. Periodically travel to to someplace where you can work under a truly qualified instructor, then come back and work like hell with your training partners. And they should help contribute funds towards your continued training too. Maybe you have a relative or friend in England or someplace where you can access good training? Or, as previously mentioned, you could check out EBMAS. They have branches in Turkey and elsewhere in the Middle-East. Emin himself charges a lot, but it looks like he has some qualified people in those countries who might be willing to travel and teach for less.

2. Pool resources with your group and invite a qualified instructor to visit and give a seminar in your country. If it works out get him back a couple times a year. Some instructors enjoy traveling and are very interested in spreading their art, if you can hold up your end of the deal. Plus as a group leader, you'd probably get in some private training and get taught at an accelerated rate.

Either way, you'll have to work really hard to contact the right instructor and build and promote a group. But nothing comes easy. If you do it right, as the group's leader, you could end up getting special attention and some very good training. If you decide to give it a try, people here might be willing to suggest some instructors to contact, if you PM them. Otherwise, you can keep on living a fantasy and trying to learn from Youtube and forums. It's up to you dude. I'm outta here! Time to close this thread.

OP
H
Reaction score
HLF, Ip Chung is a football player in Hong Kong. If you're talking Ip Man's sons (gung fu) there is Ip Chun and Ip Ching, no Ip Chung or Ip Ching. So who your SNT form from, Ip Chun or Ip Ching?

Hey Mr.Z , apologies for the hiatus , was taking a break , my right elbow joint was hurting a bit so i didn't want to cause more damage to it and i decided not to visit the forum since that would make me want to practice and not rest the arm ... Anyway i did practice today since my arm was feeling better but i had to stop 40 minutes into training because the pain struck up again.But i've found a solution in the form of this amazing herbal medicine that heal minor joint pains i applied it right after training.

You were right , i got the name wrong , this is the form i looked at.It was Gm Ip Chun disemboweling his name wasn't on my list of things to do. Sheesh , i finally got around to practicing tonight but this was the video i used to get the rest of the form , since Ip man's original video the one that was recorded in black and white was too sped up for me to work the details out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiXQYoBezMc&playnext=1&list=PLE9FC025BCD83509B

OP
H
Reaction score
Holy Moly, guys! I can't believe this thread is still going. Most of you have agreed that there's no way to learn WC through "distance learning" online, even with a well organized curriculum, much less trying to do it by watching Youtube clips and getting random input on a forum like this. Look, I "feel Haris's pain". He doesn't have a qualified instructor and we all wish to help him. But we aren't. We are just encouraging him to go down the path to bad habits and bogus technique.

Haris, If you really want to learn WC you have two choices. First, try to get a group together to share training and the expense of instruction, then...

1. Periodically travel to to someplace where you can work under a truly qualified instructor, then come back and work like hell with your training partners. And they should help contribute funds towards your continued training too. Maybe you have a relative or friend in England or someplace where you can access good training? Or, as previously mentioned, you could check out EBMAS. They have branches in Turkey and elsewhere in the Middle-East. Emin himself charges a lot, but it looks like he has some qualified people in those countries who might be willing to travel and teach for less.

2. Pool resources with your group and invite a qualified instructor to visit and give a seminar in your country. If it works out get him back a couple times a year. Some instructors enjoy traveling and are very interested in spreading their art, if you can hold up your end of the deal. Plus as a group leader, you'd probably get in some private training and get taught at an accelerated rate.

Either way, you'll have to work really hard to contact the right instructor and build and promote a group. But nothing comes easy. If you do it right, as the group's leader, you could end up getting special attention and some very good training. If you decide to give it a try, people here might be willing to suggest some instructors to contact, if you PM them. Otherwise, you can keep on living a fantasy and trying to learn from Youtube and forums. It's up to you dude. I'm outta here! Time to close this thread.

True ,Say i got a group together , say they're all enthusiastic , i could try to do that and hey a few weeks of organising and planning might even get me to get an instructor to come and talk about wc for a while , on a stretch he/she might even stick around for a week or so and then when he/she will leave i doubt me or the group get any feedback from anyone. so i think i won't go through the hassle of someone coming in and speaking about training with us for a week and then not really giving me/us any feedback , which would really ruin the point of training for me.

I don't mean to be rude but that's honestly not a very good alternative i'd be better off spending a year or so in china , which i can't frickin do right now either T.T The reason i'm still keeping this thread going is this if i am going to do something might as well get some critique on it since that's what makes you learn ...So here's what i'll do i'll continue to post the videos as a log for my training and you really don't have to watch them. Just don't click this thread it's that simple. Don't take offence just don't come to this thread. I started this and i'm not going to stop.

Regards
Lamboo.

Last edited:

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
True ,Say i got a group together , say they're all enthusiastic , i could try to do that and hey a few weeks of organising and planning might even get me to get an instructor to come and talk about wc for a while , on a stretch he/she might even stick around for a week or so and then when he/she will leave i doubt me or the group get any feedback from anyone. so i think i won't go through the hassle of someone coming in and speaking about training with us for a week and then not really giving me/us any feedback , which would really ruin the point of training for me.

I don't mean to be rude but that's honestly not a very good alternative i'd be better off spending a year or so in china , which i can't frickin do right now either T.T The reason i'm still keeping this thread going is this if i am going to do something might as well get some critique on it since that's what makes you learn ...So here's what i'll do i'll continue to post the videos as a log for my training and you really don't have to watch them. Just don't click this thread it's that simple. Don't take offence just don't come to this thread. I started this and i'm not going to stop.

Regards
Lamboo.

I think you're misunderstanding what geezer was suggesting. Bring an instructor to you on a monthly/bi-monthly basis ( or go to him) In the interim, get your guys together and train your **** off.
It works...that's how I started, and I'm pretty sure that's how geezer got his start.
Not as good as having a full time si-fu to train under, but it beats Sifu Yoo Toob every time.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
OK Haris, let me give this one more try, just to clarify things. It's just like Yak said. Back in 1979 I started WC, but within a few months the school closed down and the instructor moved out of state. Like you, I was at a loss as to how to continue. But later, in 1980, our "remnant" group of WC fanatics made contact with GM Leung Ting and brought him over from Hong Kong to give 10-day seminars several times a year. Fortunately this was at exactly the time when Leung Ting wanted to bring his "WT" system to the US, so he did not charge as much as did he later. Still it was expensive and tough training. These were not your typical four-hour "Saturday seminars". Instead, about four of us... the "core group" would practically live with the master for ten days straight while he stayed in our city. Then sometimes we'd fly with him to his next engagement, for additional training. Then when he was gone we'd train intensively among ourselves and try to perfect what he'd taught us, so we'd be better prepared for the next installment when he came back about four months later. Fortunately our group included my former WC instructor who had returned to our area, so during the interim periods we did have the guidance of an experienced WC guy. Anyway, this went on for about a dozen years, before I had to stop training for a while. As I said, it was not an ideal solution. I have no doubt I could have learned better under the daily guidance of a good instructor living right in my town. But I did not have that option. So I did the best I could. Anyway, Haris, I suggest you go back and re-read my previous post and see if it is helpful. Best of luck.

OP
H
Reaction score
okay i re-read your post and it seems logical some basically 'sort of live instruction is better than no instruction whatsoever' ... i don't want to sound like a needy prick But you don't quite understand my current situation ,to put it simply , the going is tough and i have nowhere to go , so all i can say is yeah i can work on it but i don't see any hope for me and wing chun anymore and its frickin pisses me off , i could probably work on it really hard , getting some known instructor to come but even then i think its over , atleast for now , i really don't want to spoil it for myself , i think i'm the only bastard who's gonna miss doing WC even though i sucked so hard at it. your post was constructive , and i imagine a little ways down the road that might be possible if all else fails. For now though maybe i should just stop.

EDIT: Sheesh What the **** was i thinking , i can't stop practicing because the thought of not practicing in itself is depressing , i know if i focus i can make iut work somehow., i think i'll have to be more meticulous and i'll still have to keep going.
Gonna try to get someone to give a seminar here but until the i'm going to keep practicing.

Last edited:
OP
H
Reaction score
I have seriously considered what geezer said but i might as well post this since i already recorded it ... Just let me know if you anyone is still willing to offer critique

Last edited by a moderator:

threethirty

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Keep on training what you doing now. Some training (no matter how bad is better than no training). work on the basics: the 4 hands, 6 stances, and 3 1/2 body methods. My Sigong's Sifu had to stand in horse stance for 2 hours before he was allowed to become a student.

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
Tan Da this is probably a little better but not entirely correct , constructive criticism would be appreciated:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwMAFiPvGRA

S
NT Video recorded but corrupted ... Gonna do another one in the morning too tired right now.

HLF. . . . . .wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong ! ! ! ! Go back and read what I wrote again! That is not the way you do it. The punch is incorrect. Play the video, and look at what you're doing and tell me if that makes sense to you. Now find a video on Youtube where someone is using tan da and tell me if you see anyone doing tan da like what you are doing.

OP
H
Reaction score
DOh! I'm using the wrong hand ... That was a silly mistake ... okay after re-reading it and watching a video which i didn't do the first time i get it. Mr .Z i'll put a video up tomorrow morning or evening but ASAP.

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score
HLF. . . . . .wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong ! ! ! ! Go back and read what I wrote again! That is not the way you do it. The punch is incorrect. Play the video, and look at what you're doing and tell me if that makes sense to you. Now find a video on Youtube where someone is using tan da and tell me if you see anyone doing tan da like what you are doing.

Chill out before you pull all your hair out ... push away from the PC and get an cold one from the frig man.:banghead:

Domino

Black Belt
Reaction score
This video is private, just keep on doing what you're doing, you need to read up using the correct books and research a little more it seems.
I appreciate what people are saying to you but thats just negative and too easy to say, not the martial way, doesn't seem like you have many options though.

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score
This video is private, just keep on doing what you're doing, you need to read up using the correct books and research a little more it seems.
I appreciate what people are saying to you but thats just negative and too easy to say, not the martial way, doesn't seem like you have many options though.

Any thing you put into the cloud (the web) will be subject for all to see and to be and will be dissected ... no such thing as privacy.

I commend HLF for his persistent and his willingness to accept criticism be it positive or negative. However, he has to be a lot more diligent in implementing the advises given and make the necessary recommended corrections.

You're right, without and qualify teacher, his option is limited.

OP
H
Reaction score
That last Tan da vid was just too horrible to watch. Here one after today's post session.

Last edited by a moderator: