Lone wing chun practitioners need help!!!

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
That last Tan da vid was just too horrible to watch. Here one after today's post session.

Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong ! ! ! That is tan da, yes (a bit sloppy and not simultaneous) but that's not the way the drill (I gave you) is supposed to go. You don't tan da to the inside of your partner's arm. It should be on the outside of their arm, like the original tan drill. Go back and re-read it again.

Hint, the punch should be sliding right along side (side by side) with the tan sao. When the tan da is done, the punching hand should retract back to the wu sao (guard) position. So try it again.

And the reason I yell is so you realize you should never do what you're doing again, should you consider it.

P.S. I am chilled, I just want him to get stressed about doing it wrong so he'll try harder.

Last edited by a moderator:

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong ! ! ! That is tan da, yes (a bit sloppy and not simultaneous) but that's not the way the drill (I gave you) is supposed to go... And the reason I yell is so you realize you should never do what you're doing again, should you consider it.

P.S. I am chilled, I just want him to get stressed about doing it wrong so he'll try harder.

ZepedaWC you are a patient man... but even a patient man has a limit! Anyway this clip (and your response) just reinforces the point I was trying to make to Haris earlier. Any competent instructor could show him this drill in a few minutes. Instead, he has practiced incorrectly for days, I'd bet. Now it will just take that much longer to unlearn these bad habits and get it right.

Haris, dude! what's your time worth? Locate an instructor, send him a plane ticket and get him to train you for a few days. At least that way you'll have a solid foundation to build on.

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
ZepedaWC you are a patient man... but even a patient man has a limit! Anyway this clip (and your response) just reinforces the point I was trying to make to Haris earlier. Any competent instructor could show him this drill in a few minutes. Instead, he has practiced incorrectly for days, I'd bet. Now it will just take that much longer to unlearn these bad habits and get it right.

Haris, dude! what's your time worth? Locate an instructor, send him a plane ticket and get him to train you for a few days. At least that way you'll have a solid foundation to build on.

Thank you Geezer. Yes, you are correct, this drill is learned in one session (class) and has the students understanding the concept of using only the elbow to move your hand positions almost immediately. I am patient, but the only reason I continue with this is so HLF will see it is too difficult and time consumng to do it by using the internet. I know he feels he has no choice but to do it this way. However, I feel if he really wanted it that bad, he'd make the effort to find someone and train with them. It doesn't matter how often, once a week, once a month, several times a year, anything would be better than how he is going about it right now. That's how I did it, I travelled to my Sifu (and continue to do so) for private lesson, seminars he was giving (within a couple hundred miles), and just did whatever I could to get the training (investing time, money, commitment).

So HLF, if you really want this, and I mean REALLY want it, you have to make sacrifices. You have to make the time, get the money, make the commitment to find a WC Sifu and get the proper training to do this art. You don't get something for nothing and anything worth doing is worth doing right. For the time you've spent so far, you would be much, MUCH further along than where you are at right now. If you have a couple of friends who are also interested in learning Wing Chun, you could most likely chip in together (money and transportation) to visit a Sifu for a private lesson once a month (on a Saturday or something like that) or every other month, and start from scratch. You might even get to video your lessons so you could take it back and review, to refresh your memory of what you were told to do in said lessons (I did that when I first trained with my current Sifu, me and a couple firends chipped money in for lessons, rode together and visited once a month, video'ed lessons). When I started, I'm sure I wasn't much older than you, was married and had a job, a house, a child, and several other commitments, but still found the time and money and made the effort to train with my Sifu and with my gung fu brothers when we returned.

HLF, you won't get much better, skill wise, by doing it the way you are doing it now. So stop wasting your time and do something about it. Talk to your friends, talk to anyone, everyone, put the word out you want to see a Sifu on a regular basis and see if someone else would do the same. In this day and age, there are plenty of ways to make connections to find people who want to do what you want to do, train in Wing Chun, but have no one nearby to teach them. There's this forum, FaceBook, Twitter, you name it. There is bound to be a few other people living near you who would commit to travelling once a month, or whatever, for proper, serious training in this art. You just have to start searching and find them. Look at it this way, you found us. And we're scattered all over the world, are we not?

HLF, where do you live? I live in Spartanburg, SC, in the USA. I'm not sure where you live, but I know it's not local to me. And you and I have talked with other members from another part of the United States, Europe, Asia, China, Australia, Canada, you name it. So with a little effort, I'm sure you could find someone in your area who may have an interest in making an effort in receiving lessons or training in Wing Chun. At least once a month. So do it.

Last edited:

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thank you Geezer. Yes, you are correct, this drill is learned in one session (class) and has the students understanding the concept of using only the elbow to move your hand positions almost immediately. I am patient, but the only reason I continue with this is so HLF will see it is too difficult and time consumng to do it by using the internet. I know he feels he has no choice but to do it this way. However, I feel if he really wanted it that bad, he'd make the effort to find someone and train with them. It doesn't matter how often, once a week, once a month, several times a year, anything would be better than how he is going about it right now. That's how I did it, I travelled to my Sifu (and continue to do so) for private lesson, seminars he was giving (within a couple hundred miles), and just did whatever I could to get the training (investing time, money, commitment).

So HLF, if you really want this, and I mean REALLY want it, you have to make sacrifices. You have to make the time, get the money, make the commitment to find a WC Sifu and get the proper training to do this art. You don't get something for nothing and anything worth doing is worth doing right. For the time you've spent so far, you would be much, MUCH further along than where you are at right now. If you have a couple of friends who are also interested in learning Wing Chun, you could most likely chip in together (money and transportation) to visit a Sifu for a private lesson once a month (on a Saturday or something like that) or every other month, and start from scratch. You might even get to video your lessons so you could take it back and review, to refresh your memory of what you were told to do in said lessons (I did that when I first trained with my current Sifu, me and a couple firends chipped money in for lessons, rode together and visited once a month, video'ed lessons). When I started, I'm sure I wasn't much older than you, was married and had a job, a house, a child, and several other commitments, but still found the time and money and made the effort to train with my Sifu and with my gung fu brothers when we returned.

HLF, you won't get much better, skill wise, by doing it the way you are doing it now. So stop wasting your time and do something about it. Talk to your friends, talk to anyone, everyone, put the word out you want to see a Sifu on a regular basis and see if someone else would do the same. In this day and age, there are plenty of ways to make connections to find people who want to do what you want to do, train in Wing Chun, but have no one nearby to teach them. There's this forum, FaceBook, Twitter, you name it. There is bound to be a few other people living near you who would commit to travelling once a month, or whatever, for proper, serious training in this art. You just have to start searching and find them. Look at it this way, you found us. And we're scattered all over the world, are we not?

HLF, where do you live? I live in Spartanburg, SC, in the USA. I'm not sure where you live, but I know it's not local to me. And you and I have talked with other members from another part of the United States, Europe, Asia, China, Australia, Canada, you name it. So with a little effort, I'm sure you could find someone in your area who may have an interest in making an effort in receiving lessons or training in Wing Chun. At least once a month. So do it.

HLF, for God's sake, listen to zepeda, we've all been trying to tell you that you will never get WC without a flesh and blood teacher.
Even if by some miracle, you were able to mimic the movements flawlessly, your WC would still be an empty shell without substance.
Kind of like one of those old Hollywood movie sets. They look good, but when you get behind them there's nothing there.
No one's trying to steal your dream, but at the same time, it's time to wake up and smell the coffee.

OP
H
Reaction score

time is money as they say and i've located a representative of EBmas in turkey but i havent got in touch with him yet.... on the other hand i haven't been practicing the drill to oblivion because it is quite obvious that i am unsure of what the drill should look like, the one Mr.Z gave me so i try it and upload it and if it is correct then i will practice it hard , so i'm gonna try it again today and if it is correct then i will practice it.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score

Fantastic.....good luck with your training.
Long distance training can be a bit discouraging at times, but keep your core group together and don't quit and one day you'll turn around and realize you've made a lot of progress.

tenzen

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Zepeda he lives in pakistan.I gave up on this thread awhile ago because after months we haven't completed the first full class with this guy. Online training is impossible to be done correctly.Faisal good luck man, get in contact with the guy in turkey if that's your closest option.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
time is money as they say and i've located a representative of EBmas in turkey but i havent got in touch with him yet....

OK, that's a start. Now cut the fantasy training, sit down and email him right now. Next, if you want to get a head start, go check out what EBMAS has got on youtube. Also, since Emin learned Yip Man lineage as interpreted by Leung Ting, through Keith Kernspecht of the EWTO (European Wing Tsun Organization) check out their websites and any videos on Youtube. Try these for starters:

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTE3Nzk2OTY4.html
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTE3Nzk4Mzk2.html

In case you had trouble watching either of those in their entirety (I had some trouble with pop-up adds), here's the Siu Nim Tau form again on Youtube, as it was shown On Leung Ting's "Authentic Wing Tsun" video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJZ9dXiLM7s&feature=related

Ok, here's the WT Siu Nim Tau being demonstrated by some unknown mid-level student. This version seems to be what the WT, EWTO and EBMAS people are doing these days. You will see some minor adjustments in the hand positioning of some movements, and the addition of more punches at the close. The chain punches at the end can be done as three (the way I was taught) five, or more. In fact, you can continue with as many as you want (say one or two hundred in a row). This last method is used by some instructors as a warm-up drill at the beginning of their classes.

To conclude, I posted these clips because they are close to what EBMAS will be teaching if that's the system you are going with. Whatever you choose, pick one system, one real-life sifu, and stick with it for a while, otherwise you are just learning a mish-mash of stuff cobbled together. Now get back to that email and line up a teacher. NOW!

Last edited by a moderator:

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
Zepeda he lives in pakistan.I gave up on this thread awhile ago because after months we haven't completed the first full class with this guy. Online training is impossible to be done correctly.Faisal good luck man, get in contact with the guy in turkey if that's your closest option.

I know online training is impossible. But I was hoping a light bulb would go off in his head and he see it for himself. But I guess not. HLF claims to have been doing some WC training 8 months before he came to the forum (if you read back to some of his first posts). With that amount of time, and the time he's been on the forum, if he had spent it with a live sifu, he could be into or past the beginning stages of chi sao. Instead, he's not even past the first month's basic training (at least in my school). The cheap *** students blinding desire to get something for free, instead of making a real effort with a live sifu to learn, always sets them back farther then they realize. Plus, they really get no where with it and eventually it turns into a waste of their time. They just don't get it sometimes, do they?

OP
H
Reaction score
i felt like i had chosen a particular lineage and i felt like i could make this work despite the obvious setbacks ... hell i won't lie i still feel like i can make this work ... but cut me some slack its hard to read and then translate into real life , but i think now i finally get the drill that you spoke about practiced it and i'm gonna record it and upload it on the channel as a means of keeping track ... One thing about me , i've seen some impossible situations in my life , real nasty stuff that would scare people into wanting out , but i find that as long as you persevere you amount to something in the end. Experience , it makes you stronger Mr.Z and i had already chosen a lineage too bad i can't study it if i go with the EBMAS option which you want me to do?

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
So i'm willing to pay via some online method if you could perhaps make some sort of online thing work , like maybe a video lesson for certain excercises etc.

I give up, I see you still don't get the point. That's part of what we'e talking about, video taping and attempting to learn through online or otherwise, doesn't work, it will never work. Everybody thinks because you pay money, then it's okay. Just because you pay money for it doesn't change the fact that training through video tapes, onlne, etc, is flawed, it's all one sided, there is no interaction between the teacher and the student, no proper correction, no sense of touch or feel (which is very important in learning WC), no way of knowing if you're doing everything right or wrong. Yeah, it may look like what is being taught on the video, but that doesn't mean it's correct. Interaction with a human being the the only way to learn this system. Period. No if, ands, or buts. Without the touch and guidance of a trained WC person, you are wasting your time.

Latest Discussions