Linking Martial Arts..........

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If you find spirituality in MAs, then that's great. If you find religion in MAs, then you might just be a little gullible. The next step is to drink the Kool Aid.

IMHO.

But you have a choice to see things that aren't really meant to be there. I think Choson Ninja (or whatever he calls himself) links his Christianity to his MA.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Martial arts can help you with the charastics of fostering morals and other manners. How you use that to enhance yourself in your religion is up to you. There are many people who do not belong to a religion but find a sense of moral compass and secruity from Martial arts.

Because Martial arts is able to adapt and holds building blocks we can use it to enhance what ever we choose. In the end if you stop trying to link things together and let it develop naturally things will be as they always been.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well since Martial Arts was around before Christiananity would that not be hard to do. I believe if you are talking about the moral aspect goes hand in hand with it then you are probaly right.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Spirituality can be found in many places and can be related to many things by those looking for such a link.
I have actually know more people that stepped away from the Martial Arts because they found themselves born again into Christianity than I have seen people find a reason to say it was a Christian thing to do

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I certainly see no conflict in being both a martial artist and a christian. In some ways, studying MA has enhanced my spiritual life in unexpected areas. Often I suddenly recall verses from the bible that apply to principles I learn while training, such as Hebrews 12:1.."let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us."

Another view is that Jesus created all things, which would include the martial arts (John 1:3). James 1:17 reminds us that "Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning." So the wisdom which underlies all martial arts is God's, a gift to man.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Any thoughts on linking MA to Chiristanity.:asian:

I know some clubs did this in the 70's and 80's. They worked just fine with their target audience. But when it became more difficult because of competition these clubs seemed to either close or move towards targeting the market they were after with programs they wanted to pay for.

MartialArtHeart

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think they go hand in hand, because we learn the martial arts, not to hurt others, but to protect them and ourselves. Christianity, at its roots, is a common sense thing- Jesus urges us to grow in wisdom, and my wisdom says that we need self-defense in the modern day world. The martial arts also teach Christian values. And also "Christianity" may be a younger "religion", but the truth dates back to the beginning of time.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are some easy ways to link martial arts and religion, that's true - many MAs and many religions teach morality, proper behavior, responsibility, discipline, etc. I know that there are clubs that link Christianity (and sometimes other religions instead or in addition) with martial arts - and that's their choice; it's not something I would choose, especially as, being Jewish, it will really cut short my potential student base ;) - and I know there are some people who refuse to try MAs because of some of the practices, especially in TMAs, such as bowing to the flag and each other, which conflict with their religion, and non-violence, which can also conflict with learning how to fight.

For an individual, certainly, you can find ways to link your MA training and your religion if you so desire - but I prefer to leave that to the individual, and keep it out of the dojang.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For an individual, certainly, you can find ways to link your MA training and your religion if you so desire - but I prefer to leave that to the individual, and keep it out of the dojang.

Thats my feeling too.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was talking to one of the Gurkha soldiers here the other day and I asked him if there was any martial arts native to Nepal, he answered no because their religion (they are mostly Hindu) forbade violence. I sort of looked at him and he grinned then said thats why they try not to fight they just prefer to kill people outright. I was speechless for once!
Picking up on a comment of girlbugs, I'm not being disrespectful but I don't think even Christians believe it was Jesus who created everything, I think if you believe, it's G-d who did?
I always find it amusing when people say they can't do bowing as handshaking as a greeting is a fairly modern thing, not so long ago European and American men would bow when greeting someone while women would curtsey. The bows and curtseys wouldn't be deep ones but were done for politeness, accepted and acceptable to everyone.

JustAVisitor

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have nothing against New Cuisine, but mixing fries in miso soup does not sound such a good idea... One can always argue that, all in all, it is food all the same and it is edible and it will feed you but... honestly does it make sense and does it taste good? My perspective on this is that you have to be a chef to really figure out a tasteful mix...

JustAVisitor

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Many martial arts already have a religious foundation. Some do very well without. Why would you want to change that?
Finding, following and understanding a MA path is difficult enough. I would not mix it up, dilute it, blur it with an religion alien to the art.

MartialArtHeart

Green Belt
Reaction score
It should be up to the individual- but that is with everything. What should not be up to the individual, as far as lifestyles and matters of opinion go? By saying it should be up to the individual, you are saying nothing, because you believe that everything should be up to the individual. So does God, as a matter of fact... that's why He gives us free will. Oh, and Tez, just a heads up... God DID create everything, but Jesus is a part of God. Saying "His Son" is just our interpretation of their relationship because we really don't have the words to describe their real relationship. Just like saying "He" in general- we don't have a better word to describe a God that is neither male nor female, except maybe "it", but I think most, both Jewish and Christian, would be opposed to calling God "it". ;)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It should be up to the individual- but that is with everything. What should not be up to the individual, as far as lifestyles and matters of opinion go? By saying it should be up to the individual, you are saying nothing, because you believe that everything should be up to the individual. So does God, as a matter of fact... that's why He gives us free will. Oh, and Tez, just a heads up... God DID create everything, but Jesus is a part of God. Saying "His Son" is just our interpretation of their relationship because we really don't have the words to describe their real relationship. Just like saying "He" in general- we don't have a better word to describe a God that is neither male nor female, except maybe "it", but I think most, both Jewish and Christian, would be opposed to calling God "it". ;)

I'l have you know that G-d is an Englishman and we don't talk about it very much, not the done thing you know?
The normal expression is to say G-d created everything, because it says In the beginning G-d not jesus.
Incidentallly why do people use the Latin name Jesus when as a Jew his name was Joshua? Just curious :)

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The normal expression is to say G-d created everything, because it says In the beginning G-d not jesus.
Incidentallly why do people use the Latin name Jesus when as a Jew his name was Joshua? Just curious :)

In the new testament, specifically John 1 it begins as follows:" In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made."

For those not up on NT theology, the Word is Jesus. Thus, all creation did come through Jesus (if you are a christian professing to believe the bible, that is).

Many christians do not realize this, but it is in fact what the bible says.

On your other question, I don't know why we dont' all call Him Joshua, but I have observed that every culture gives Him their own version of His name. Ease of pronounciation? Somehow, I don't think He minds.:)

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Putting the specific religion of Christianity aside and just going with the general concept:
One's religion/god is hands down the first and primary part of one's life. With that in mind, every aspect of your life should reflect the belief in that God.
So, yes. If a person is Christian, their martial arts should reflect that. If one is Jewish, their martial arts should reflect that.....
If you have parts of your life that don't show the God you believe created everything, then something is wrong.

AoG

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Depends on what you mean by linking.

If you mean that I'm going to start doing a Bible study, and then demonstrate the kata that clarifies this type of teaching, then, no - that it inserting meaning into the kata that wasn't there in the first place.

However, if I am doing a study on the "Armor of God" (The stuff in Ephesians 6, not our dear friend on the board.) Then I may borrow my sister's replica Gladius and give some history on exactly what is understood by the sharpness of the "Two edged sword."

That is, I may use Marital Arts to help demonstrate, or understand spiritual principles, but not the other way around.

I will certainly use my Spiritual beliefs to guide my use of Martial Arts, but not the other way around.

As for practicality, I've already discussed that on this thread . . . :angel:

I'l have you know that G-d is an Englishman and we don't talk about it very much, not the done thing you know?

I think it's to set "Jesus" apart in history. Y'know, that guy, Jesus, who was apparently born to Mary and Joseph Christ.

I remember when that fake tombstone came out in the news about "James, the brother of Jesus." When it really said, "Jacob, the brother of Joshua."

But, the meanings behind the words are still the same.

Latest Discussions