Linage of Instructor

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So many topics about Kwan linage and such that I thought it would be important to see where evrybody linage comes from and if it goes back to the originators of the Kukkiwon or to the ITF or any other org. Me it would be Grand Master Gin Kim and he was from the Oh do Kwan school before the emergement of the KKW.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So many topics about Kwan linage and such that I thought it would be important to see where evrybody linage comes from and if it goes back to the originators of the Kukkiwon or to the ITF or any other org. Me it would be Grand Master Gin Kim and he was from the Oh do Kwan school before the emergement of the KKW.

Hmmm, I can see there's going to be a bit of overlap in coverage here between your thread and Iceman's, Terry! :wink1: My lineage comes down from Gm. Byung Jick Ro, founder of the Song Moo Kwan.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hmmm, I can see there's going to be a bit of overlap in coverage here between your thread and Iceman's, Terry! :wink1: My lineage comes down from Gm. Byung Jick Ro, founder of the Song Moo Kwan.

His thread is more about the Kwan and mine is more focus on Instructor and some instructor just do not follow Kwan linage anymore

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
I actually have a few.
My first was back to GM SUN, Duk Song, through the WTA.

My second I'm not entirely sure of, as I need to talk to CM Robinson about who his instructors were in Korea, as well as here (another split).

My third also has multiple dualities, as it goes through my instructor's past (way back to WTA and GM SUN) he also trained under a fellow student of mine who's lineage would go back through CM Robinson, as well as GM Pierce for a time.
GM Pierce's line goes back to Korea from his time there as well, in Tung Su Do (Adam could expand on that more), but he also trained here under H.U. Lee (under GM UHM, in Chung Do Kwan, and GM SUN, also Chung Do Kwan, as well as Oh Do Kwan during military time).

It's more of a tree, roots spreading out to different sources, branches doing the same as people have trained under more than one line over time.

From what I've seen though, primarily it's Chung Do Kwan/Oh Do Kwan, but there's a couple of huge factors with GM Pierce's TSD, and CM Robinson's Korea training. Those could surely have been different kwans, with different influences.

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
Tangsoo-Do/Taekwondo(not really) Lineage

1)Me
2) Grandmaster Kim Soo
3) His 3 teachers (1957 to present): Park Chul-hee & Hong Jong-pyo (Kangduk-Won), (1951to1957)Lee Nam-sok (Changmoo-Kwan)
4) Their instructor: (1946-50) Yoon Byung-in (Kwon Bup Bu)

Hapkido lineage:

1)Me
2) Grandmaster Kim Soo
3) Ji Han Jae
4) Choi Yong-shul

R. McLain

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
His thread is more about the Kwan and mine is more focus on Instructor and some instructor just do not follow Kwan linage anymore

That's true—I've been lucky; my instructor and his intructor are both devoted to SMK practice. They didn't take off on their own. I don't really understand the temptation to do so, but as you say, some people do that sort of thing... maybe they feel the need to incorporate new material into the art for purely practical reasons of greater combat effectiveness. But I suspect that, these days, it's more of a commercailly based decision...

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My instructor's lineage.
GM Edward Sell (9th Dan KKW)
his instructor. GM Park, Hae Man (10th Dan KKW)
his instructor. GM Uhm, Woon Kyu (10th Dan KKW) (Current KKW President). his instructor. GM Yi (Lee), Won Kuk (Founder of Chung Do Kwan)

My first instructor was also Chung Do Kwan & taught at Osan Air Force Base in Korea. But he never told us his lineage. How sad.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
For hapkido:

(possibly) Sokaku Takeda (Daito Ryu Aiki Ju Jutsu)
Choi, Yong Sul (Yawara)
Suh, Bok Sub (Daehan Yu Kwan Sool Hapki Dojang)
Won, Kwang Wha* (Musulkwan) + Kim Moo Woon (kicking techniques)
Lee H. Park
Mike Morton
me

* Won also reportedly learned directly from Choi, so the lineage would also be:
Choi
Won
Park
Morton
me

I'm still researching Park's TKD instructor(s). I thought it was Chang Moo Kwan (and he was a friend/fishing buddy of Lee, Nam Suk) but he may have started in another organization.

In any case, for first dan:

Lee H. Park (U.S. Moo Sul Kwan)
Jeff Forby (MSK)
Steven Dunn (MSK)
me

Alternate TKD lineage (second dan certification):

Gichin Funakoshi (Shotokan)
Lee, Won Kuk (Chung Do Kwan)
Uhm, Woon Kyu (CDK)
Park, Hae Man (CDK)
Edward Sell (U.S. Chung Do Kwan)
Tim Wall (USCDK)
me

Not on topic, but:

&#8226; Nam Suk Lee was at my first dan TKD test
&#8226; GM Ed Sell and Brenda Sell were my second dan testing panel: the only two people testing were my brother and I.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My linage is Ji Do Kwan

Grandmaster Lee, Sun Wan
Grandmaster Ko, Pyung Tuk
Master Butler, Mike
myself

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I would no longer say I am a TKD guy but my instructor way back when was Mr. Jae Hun Kim a student of General Choi I believe, but to be honest I no longer know what that means in reference to your question or if it even applies

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
No fair Scott beat me to it. I know that Lee H. Park ended with Chun do Kwan, the question is where did he begin with TKD......I know that he learned hapkido from Won-Kwang Wha.

As a Kid it would be
Won-Kwang Wha
Lee H. Park
Mike Morton (Dad)
Me

In the Marine Corps it would be

The Gunny who was the Judo instructor we had 5 and not one was the "Main".
Me

Post Marine Corps (Current)
It would be
Lee H. Park
Charles Hildebrand (GM of MSK) - Started a few years before dad
Me

By the way, I just have to give a shout out to zDom. This man, "The Dominator" Is a legend. He twist kicked over head high through 2 board on his hapkido dan test. He is humble but is ki power is awesome. Hard to curl those toes back.

TraditionalTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Myself
GM Tae Zee Park 9th KKW
GM Woon Kyu Uhm President KKW
GGM Won Kuk Lee Founder Chung Do Kwan (deceased)

woot

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Myself
Larry Whitener
Steve Stavroff
J. Pat Burlson
Allan R. Steen
Jhoon Rhee
Gen. Choi

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm still researching Park's TKD instructor(s). I thought it was Chang Moo Kwan (and he was a friend/fishing buddy of Lee, Nam Suk) but he may have started in another organization.

Not on topic, but:

• Nam Suk Lee was at my first dan TKD test
•

I'll see what I can find for you on your lineage.

Note about Lee Nam-sok: Master Lee Nam-sok really stopped instructing in the 1960's or early 1970's. He mostly followed Choi Hong-hi around to promote Choi's orgaznization. He later began instructing again (around 1995-1998), and started a new organization in the US, using the name of his old school, "Changmoo-Kwan." It is doubtful he remembered much as he was more of a businessman for 30 years. I saw the curriculum for the new school and it has karate forms, such as Pyung Ahn 1-5, but none of the Chuan-fa from the old Changmoo-Kwan.

R. McLain

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A more detailed lineage for me would be

me <--- Allen Shirley <--- Greg Fears <---Gm. Joon Pye Choi <--- Gm. Byung Jik Ro (founder, Song Moo Kwan)(<--- Gichin Funakoshi and up the Okinawan Karate line :wink1:)

D.Gaul

White Belt
Reaction score
Me
GM Kim, Bok Man
General Choi

pretty short linage I Know I have also trained under Young Chul Ra but only for a short period when I was first starting.

woot

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
How neat is that! That is really cool!

Thank you IcemanSK. They have all done a lot to inspire me. I have an old home video montage of these guys (along with Chuck Norris and Joe Lewis from the old "Texas Blood and Guts days" that's really cool.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok. I'm going to 2 instructors of the same school/ org., so here is what I found (source is listed at end):

GM Funakoshi-> GM Lee (TSD/ CDK)-> GM Son-> Master Ted Hillson-> Ken Fizer/ Mary Adams (I go to both on different days).

I got this off of Ken Fizer's website at: www.gbgm-umc.org/otterbeinumc-wv/karatehistory.htm

Just in case anyone wonders where that came from...

Muwubu16858

Green Belt
Reaction score
My Lineage is:

Tang Soo Do/Tae Kwon Do

My teacher, Lee, Jung Hwan, trained at two schools every day. He learned at the Moo Duk Kwan Headquarters under GM Hwang Kee from March 1960 until March 1980, and was the Head instructor at the HQ's from September 1979 until he left for America in 1980. He also started training at the Y.M.C.A. Taekwondo in Chung No, Seoul, under GM Oh, Sae Joon in the early to mid 1960's. He trained with GM Oh even after his school closed, and trained in every aspect of GM Oh,s technique style. GM Oh was also Hwang Kee's student, and my teacher, after asking Hwang Kee about his teacher in March 1980, was told by GM Hwang that GM Oh was his best student...for every techniqe he was taught, he picked up 10 new techniques derived from the one. So My Lineage is from both Hwang Kee's style, pre-hyung changes and modifications, and also from Y.M.C.A. Taekwondo under Oh Sae Joon, which with his own changes made his style 10 times tougher than any other sect in Seoul at the time.

I haven't learned my Judo lineage yet, since I only started a few months ago, but the club I go to is registered in the Kodokan.

Hapkido

I'm learning from Shin Hank Shik, who learned from Ji Han Jae, who learned from Choi, Yong Sul, who learned from Takeda Sokaku.

although I cross train, my Teacher is and will always be Lee, Jung Hwan.

GM Lee holds the following:

9th Dan Korea Soo Bahk Do Association Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan
(under GM Hwang Kee, Moo Duk Kwan)
9th Dan Korea Karate-do Association
(under GM Yoon, Kwe Byung, Ji Do Kwan)
9th Dan Korea Taekwondo Association
9th Dan Korea Taekwondo Moo Duk Kwan Association
9th Dan World Taekwondo Federation
9th Dan World Moo Duk Kwan Tang Soo DO Federation
(under GM Kim, Jae Joon, Moo Duk Kwan)
5th Dan Y.M.C.A. Taekwondo
(under GM Oh, Sae Joon)
4th Dan Judo

Plus many other commendations and awards from Martial Arts Associations.

Latest Discussions