Darting Serpent-2 Hand Push

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a technique that I have a few questions on, so I'm hoping that I can get some feedback as to how others perform this. I have it as follows.

Step forward with the right leg, delivering two upward blocks.

Bring opponents arms to his side and then deliver two claw/palm strikes to the groin.

Draw back into a right cat as you deliver to inward raking middle knuckle strikes to the ribs.

Step forward again with the right as you do two, two finger strikes to the eyes.

Two bent wrist strikes to the side of the head, followed by two rising elbow strikes.

Grab the back of the opponents head and pull into a right rising knee.

Cover.

Now, working this technique today, I played around with some variations and this is what I came up with.

After the initial blocks, rather than bring the opponents hands to their side, omit that part and deliver one palm to the groin with the right hand, keeping the left up as a check. As the person bends forward, you also have a left palm strike to the face or a finger jab to the eyes available to you.

After the two strikes to the eyes, deliver a single right upward elbow. I can't see the logic in 2 rising elbows.

I'm interested in hearing other variations, suggestions, etc.

Mike

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I was not taught the two elbows as rising elbows but rather as a motion to sandwich the head with the forearms while driving the head to the knee.

I also was not taught middle knuckles to the kidney. I was taught it as a bent wrist strike, but prefer using my thumb knuckles.

I like your variation, though. Doing it, it felt a lot like Winding Limbs followed by the ending of Kimono Grab. It has a nice flow to it.

Jim Hanna

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I do it as a wedge blocks with possible thumb gouges to the eyes on the initial move. The main point that I teach is that, after the double claw to the groin, push in and place your head on the attacker's chest as you strike to the kidneys with the back knuckles. By pushing forward on the chest with your head and shoulders, and pulling striking back with the back knuckles, it really compromises the attackers posture. I also show that it could easily have been converted into a low bear hug take down at that point (instead of pulling out on the back knuckles).

Not as pretty/artistic as some versions but I am fond of what I call "bulldog ugly" kenpo.

Jim

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was not taught the two elbows as rising elbows but rather as a motion to sandwich the head with the forearms while driving the head to the knee.

I also was not taught middle knuckles to the kidney. I was taught it as a bent wrist strike, but prefer using my thumb knuckles.

I like your variation, though. Doing it, it felt a lot like Winding Limbs followed by the ending of Kimono Grab. It has a nice flow to it.

Thanks for the reply Dave. Now, if I'm reading this right, I'm taking your description as a similar movement to neck tie, such as you'd see in the UFC or Muay Thai?

Mike

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I do it as a wedge blocks with possible thumb gouges to the eyes on the initial move. The main point that I teach is that, after the double claw to the groin, push in and place your head on the attacker's chest as you strike to the kidneys with the back knuckles. By pushing forward on the chest with your head and shoulders, and pulling striking back with the back knuckles, it really compromises the attackers posture. I also show that it could easily have been converted into a low bear hug take down at that point (instead of pulling out on the back knuckles).

Not as pretty/artistic as some versions but I am fond of what I call "bulldog ugly" kenpo.

Jim

Thanks Jim! Thats an interesting variation. I'll have to give it a try. :)

Mike

Jim Hanna

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I don't do it so much as a headbutt but more as a shoulder strike (ala Tai Chi). I keep my head tucked against the attackers right shoulder/pec area and press as I strike to the kidneys with the back fists. Then I slide back into the cat. I think that the kidney strikes are more effective this way.

We also will work the counter to what I've described via Front Bear Hug C, with a strike to the mastoid process.

Jim

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't do it so much as a headbutt but more as a shoulder strike (ala Tai Chi). I keep my head tucked against the attackers right shoulder/pec area and press as I strike to the kidneys with the back fists. Then I slide back into the cat. I think that the kidney strikes are more effective this way.

We also will work the counter to what I've described via Front Bear Hug C, with a strike to the mastoid process.

Jim

I gotta agree, these are interesting ideas.

crash2806

White Belt
Reaction score
You're combining the a and b versions. A ends with the kidney strikes. B begins with double outward blocks to deflect the push.

Latest Discussions