Learning Sub Standard WC or no WC at all?

vankuen

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The other thing to remember is not to take everything you're taught at face value. Learning is done from three perspectives, (1) behavioral, (2) cognitive, and (3) social.

In a nutshell, behavioral learning is operant conditioning. If in participating in WC you find your needs are met and it gives you a sense of satisfaction, continuing to train is the obvious answer. If by training in WC you end with negative consquences, the natural response would be not to train in it any longer. This answer isn't always black and white because of the fact that different teachers have varying levels of efficacy in their pedagogical model.

Cognitively, you've realized through logical thought and reasoning that there's something missing in the equation. That you're not getting realistic results because frankly, no one there trains in a manner which gives them honest feedback. That's why you see unproven techniques being used against things like a single or double leg takedown. I guarantee you, a gwan sau will not work to stop someone's shoot. But again you knew this already...

From a social perspective, your cognitive ideas have been reinforced through the many you tube videos of terrible iterations of wing chun, people who can't fight, people who perform terribly in the actual APPLICATION of wing chun. Your very own class's experience with actual fighting or even sparring. What are the best people doing to get better? That's what you should be looking at. Style aside...what METHOD of training provides the greatest results?

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Seeker, I would love to know what school you are training under (please feel free to PM me if you dont want to name and shame over here)

Please note that certain styles will have different ways of doing things. The famous explanation that all martial arts are climbing a mountain and that each one takes a different path rings true here

Certainly sparring is important to gauge pressure. Even a little bit at the end of class wouldnt kill anyone
Chi sao is done numerous different ways - there is no right or wrong way of doing it, as long as your instructor explains to you the purpose of training you in that particular way
Certainly it will not make you an unstoppable fighter - there is no such thing (except for Chuck)
That is bad that your instructor wont teach you how to generate punching power - Kevin chan did several seminars and sessions with us explaining the difference in hitting and striking
You dont deal with haymakers? Holy ****!
As for Kuen Kuit - do you not have a membership book or licence that has these layed out?

It sounds like you are gettinga rough deal. Where are you living? Get to other schools and have a look at the differences. I did this when I was a beginner at Kamon and was shocked on how good my school was
I know everyone says that, but seriously, you will truly appreciate how good/bad your particular school is by visiting other venues

Good luck friend

Latest Discussions