WC and JKD

g-bells

Green Belt
Reaction score
hello my name is gary an my question is do you think it is nessasary to learn all of WC's wooded dummy movements? i train in jkd and i have been learning WC movements from ted lucaylucay's tape on jkd trapping on the dummy. i'm not putting down WC because i think it is a excellant art i just don't see the need to learn all the techniques. any help or suggestions will be appreciated. thank you gary

bcbernam777

Brown Belt
Reaction score
hello my name is gary an my question is do you think it is nessasary to learn all of WC's wooded dummy movements? i train in jkd and i have been learning WC movements from ted lucaylucay's tape on jkd trapping on the dummy. i'm not putting down WC because i think it is a excellant art i just don't see the need to learn all the techniques. any help or suggestions will be appreciated. thank you gary

Gary the majority of the techniques in the mook are actually from the sui lum tao which is the foundation to WC. every technique in the wc arsenal is simply a tool shed, yu learn how to use all of the tools so that when needed you have the right tool for the right job.

That being said, may I suggest to you that WC is not a technique orientated art, and the true purpose of the dummy is seldom known, because the purpose is not to train technique, but energy and to test your root, the dummy is your silent sifu, it teaches you the proper mechanics involved with whole body unity.

It is best to never learn the dummy if you do not learn its real purpose as to use the dummy improperally will simply create a "wrong" energy.

profesormental

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Greetings.

Please read my post on this thread. It is very recent.

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41558&page=2

In a nutshell, Wing Chun exercises are designed to ingrain structurally sound movements.

So in the end, Wing Chun training is not about learning techniques, it's about human anatomical requirements for maximizing results of movements for martial purposes.

Hope that helps.

Sincerely,

Juan M. Mercado

OP
g-bells

g-bells

Green Belt
Reaction score
thank you for your responses. i know that i'll never get the full effect of energy from the dummy but is'nt it good to have a good foundation then work from there. i realize that you have to put your mind into " combat " mode while doing it and that it is only a one of many tools. i enjoy learning the movements and i'm getting fairly good at them. thanks again for your insight

yrwca

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If I may suggest:
The dummy may not make real sense until you have worked through all 3 forms. The forms, dummy and weapons are like a jigsaw puzzle...all disassembled and scattered. If you spread them all out on your mental table, you will start to see patterns reaching between them. In my experience, it is when the forms etc. disintegrate and become one larger pattern that the art starts to make sense and simplify. The dummy was the first thing I was taught. I can speak for it making more sense with the rest of the system in place.

yrwca

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If I may suggest:
The dummy may not make real sense until you have worked through all 3 forms. The forms, dummy and weapons are like a jigsaw puzzle...all disassembled and scattered. If you spread them all out on your mental table, you will start to see patterns reaching between them. In my experience, it is when the forms etc. disintegrate and become one larger pattern that the art starts to make sense and simplify. The dummy was the first thing I was taught. I can speak for it making more sense with the rest of the system in place.

I forgot to mention the dummy partner. That helps, too.

Changhfy

Green Belt
Reaction score
Those were awesome responses. There is also one more thing in the muk yan jong training that should be mentioned. Ip Man Ving Tsun itself generally teaches one method of dummy training from this method you have various aspects of training, but in other systems such as Pao Fa Lien you have 4 seperate dummy forms each used for a different purpose.

The same goes for some of Chi Sim Weng Chuns forms used for internal, external and using the lau concept they have three different ways to practise the same form.

So its definitely important to learn the dummy training, as said before you really dont know how much it benefits you until you've completed the training.

But I wish you the best in your training.

take care,
Chang