Kyukoshin sparring

OP
Kenlee25

Kenlee25

Green Belt
Reaction score
Im a fan of Kyukoshin Karate as well. Ive never heard of it until I saw the video "Fighting Black Kings". I fell in love with that video because it reminded me how we use to train in our dojo. I came up in Taekwondo and we trained and fought hard like they did. We never wore pads or gloves and we made contact when we fought but it wasnt at full power. Ive never been hurt in the dojo coming up as a kid. I think Kyukoshin fighters are some of the badest around but I know TKD ppl that have fought and beatin Kyukoshin fighters. So it would really depend on the fighter itself to say which is better. William Oliver trained in Kyukoshin and fought in Japanese and Korean tournaments and would win. Mike Warren (from my school) use to always meet William Oliver in the finals or semi-finals at the All American Open in NY back in the day. And all tournaments are mostly for sport. I would love to compete in a Kyukoshin Karate tournament just to see if I can hang. Because the way I was taught to fight, Im not just goin to stand there and let someone beat on me. LOL!!

Exactly what I'm saying. Kyukoshin fighters are mad insane and i LOVE IT! But from what i've seen, they kind of go in and just beat on each other. From what I can tell from the responses in this thread, it's an honer thing and part of their warrior spirit, which i Understand and respect. it's just different from the mindset of most is all, full contact or not. Most will imploy "slip in, finish the job, slip out". Kyukoshin is like "slip in, stay in"

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Those boys rock. You can hit a Kyukoshin fighter with a stick, a Kyukoshin fighter does not care. He does not care what you are doing as a fighter against him, how you are fighting, what your footwork is, what your stance or guard is, or how you like to move, he's going to do what he does best. And that's hit you. Repeatedly.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Those guys are tough, indeed. They have very well conditioned torsos and upper legs, and are less likely to flinch when taking a shot.

I often wonder, though, how much of a difference that conditioning makes when someone's under the influence of adrenaline? A lot of times, people might take a pretty nasty shot, and even if they're not well-conditioned, they can still keep going.

Regardless of the answer, though, I have the utmost of respect for the local Kyokushin dojos here that are under Oyama Yasuhiko. His people are very well-behaved, class acts, and really nice folks, and Oyama Shihan himself has always been friendly towards our dojo.

Kinghercules

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Exactly what I'm saying. Kyukoshin fighters are mad insane and i LOVE IT! But from what i've seen, they kind of go in and just beat on each other. From what I can tell from the responses in this thread, it's an honer thing and part of their warrior spirit, which i Understand and respect. it's just different from the mindset of most is all, full contact or not. Most will imploy "slip in, finish the job, slip out". Kyukoshin is like "slip in, stay in"

LOL!! I know right!

I like Kenji Midori. Ive been watchin some of his vids on youtube and was impressed by what he has achieved.

Yeah the Kyukoshin tournaments seem to be considered to be really prestigious. People that place 5th or 7th are still look upon as a top fighter.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I often wonder, though, how much of a difference that conditioning makes when someone's under the influence of adrenaline? A lot of times, people might take a pretty nasty shot, and even if they're not well-conditioned, they can still keep going.

I know someone who got into a fight and was standing up and pounding on this guy who was on his knees. Then felt wet on his body, went to touch it, and it was blood. He had been stabbed with a 10 inch kitchen knife seven times and didn't even know it.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
I know someone who got into a fight and was standing up and pounding on this guy who was on his knees. Then felt wet on his body, went to touch it, and it was blood. He had been stabbed with a 10 inch kitchen knife seven times and didn't even know it.

That's actually pretty typical of stabbings.

OP
Kenlee25

Kenlee25

Green Belt
Reaction score
My question is this, in a fight, most people are head hunters. Sure their bodies might be mad conditioned, but you really can't condition your face....well you can...but you know what I mean.

or your groin for that matter. I'm not worried about the adrenaline as much, to mean I just wonder will that conditioning be useful in a street fight. The martial training will inevitably, but will a kyokushin fighter come and say "man if i hadn't trained all of those hours toughing up my abs he would have got me"

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
My question is this, in a fight, most people are head hunters. Sure their bodies might be mad conditioned, but you really can't condition your face....well you can...but you know what I mean.

or your groin for that matter. I'm not worried about the adrenaline as much, to mean I just wonder will that conditioning be useful in a street fight. The martial training will inevitably, but will a kyokushin fighter come and say "man if i hadn't trained all of those hours toughing up my abs he would have got me"

A judo player will fare better against the shock of contact than a non-contact trained person, because they are repeatedly jarred against the mat.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was going to reply to this, but figured why bother. You're, as usual, too busy making yourself seem like the deadliest warrior!! LMFAO!! Yes, you've said it numerous times, how dangerous you supposedly are. Now, instead of talking all this ********, get your *** to a real dojo and do some real training. Snap back to reality and forget about fantasy land.

this.

QFMFT

Kinghercules

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Dont get it twisted. Kyokushin fighters (some at lest) can handle themselves in the street. Just because they dont hit to the head in their matches doesnt mean they cant take a punch. If you can take a kick to the face you damn sure can take a punch to the face. :)

OP
Kenlee25

Kenlee25

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm not twisted. I understand that. I know they can take one, I just wonder will anyone honestly say toughening their body like that actually made the difference. you know? Like could someone say "if i hadn't done this, I probably would have lost". That's all.

And honestly now that I think about it, I'll answer my own question. Against multiple opponents all trying to wail on you....yeah...i'd love to have kyukoshin conditioning.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score

Probably more like "man if i hadnt done those hundreds of punches in a row on the spot and gotten damn good at doing barrages of punches whilst ignoring any attempt to stop me he would have had me"; As that is pretty much what They do.

Kinghercules

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm not twisted. I understand that. I know they can take one, I just wonder will anyone honestly say toughening their body like that actually made the difference. you know? Like could someone say "if i hadn't done this, I probably would have lost". That's all.

And honestly now that I think about it, I'll answer my own question. Against multiple opponents all trying to wail on you....yeah...i'd love to have kyukoshin conditioning.

Yeah I think it would make a difference. I mean, you're conditioned to take the hits so I can see where it can help.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

One of the black belts at my school will be heading to Japan in the next couple of months, to fight in a tournament that is going to allow face contact. However, this does seem to be a common misconception of the art. Just because you don't typically see face punches, shouldn't imply that they dont know how or that they can't do it. :)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

I've still seen guys either dropped or effected by a body shot, be it a punch or kick. I do feel though, that the conditioning that is done, does contribute to making it easier to get used to the hard contact.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
But pain isn't the issue. In practice you have pads, and targets, and all sorts of plastic and nylon and whatnot. I have a friend who is in jail for life now, because he made the simple choice of extending his leg all the way when executing a side kick, instead of just holding it back by a tiny fraction of an inch.

:BSmeter:

I'm calling BS on this. Court documents are public record. Let's see some proof of this imaginary friend who can kill people with a sneeze.

That's the difference training with contact can make.

No, that's the difference between reality and living in a fantasy world.

And this is my thought on it- Once you know you can take a hit, and can give a hit, stop getting hit, and stop hitting people. For me I knew I could take a hit when on 3 v1 my rib cage was shattered... and I ended up fighting for another 20 minutes, and finishing the exam 4 hours later.

So you're saying that you fought for 20 minutes and continued an exam for 4 hours after what we term a flail chest?

How many chest tubes did you have after this flail chest? How long were you on a ventilator?

[Remaining pile of pure fantasy deleted.]

Alex, seriously. Seek help.
You're either a World Class Troll, or you're seriously deranged.

Reactions: MJS

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
One of the black belts at my school will be heading to Japan in the next couple of months, to fight in a tournament that is going to allow face contact. However, this does seem to be a common misconception of the art. Just because you don't typically see face punches, shouldn't imply that they dont know how or that they can't do it. :)
Tkdists cop this argument all the time.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score

You fight the way you train, my experience with Kyokushinkai fighters is that they are tough, determined, skilled fighters that don't protect their head enough. I share training space with a Kyokushin group and every black belt that has come in and played with us has had an adjustment period of dealing with head shots, just like I had an adjustment period with their leg kicks. It isn't that they can't or won't, but everyone gets conditioned to the type of sparring that they see the most often.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
DD, we have this forum called The Great Debate. You can, like TOTALLY call people out over there.

But the troll comment... Kinda played out. In any event, I think he's serious. I doubt his statements myself, but let's be a little more classy, eh?

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
true enough, but come on.........THAT much bs being put out there? SOMEONE is gonna call him on it...

Latest Discussions