Kyokushin plus boxing cross training would this be a good base for getting into kickboxing comp?

Brandon Miller

Green Belt
Reaction score
My goal is to either get back into the mma circuit or into the competitive kickboxing curcuit. If I do kyokushin but cross training in boxing I there I would have very little gaps in stand up. I want to compete in knockdown tourneys when I can to prepare myself more for kickboxing. Unfortunately not a lot of knockdown tourneys are in abundance and I don’t want to travel around the country to compete for free. I feel I could defeat Thai boxers with a kyokushin and boxing combo. More dynamic kicks, better body shots than Thai boxing, head kicks from the clinch. Crisp boxing to go along with it. If I go the mma route I’m gonna just have to go through freestyle grappling like judo and combine it with my boxing. I just see myself being more succesful in the kickboxing scene. Scene I have competed in Amatuer boxing and in Amatuer mma. I have also been a striker but have struggled with grappling.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you want to kickbox then of kickboxing where you'll train with kickboxers.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know what would be a good basis?
Stop waffling and go train in ANYTHING, at this point.

Clyde Cash

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Forget the kyoukushin ********, it's just dancing. Stick to boxing, it's what kickboxers actually rely on. Key word kickBOXER. There's a reason it's not kickkarate.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Forget the kyoukushin ********, it's just dancing. Stick to boxing, it's what kickboxers actually rely on. Key word kickBOXER. There's a reason it's not kickkarate.
That’s one of the most asinine posts I’ve read in quite some time. You have no idea what Kyokushin is and which pro kickboxers came from it, do you?

Ever hear of K-1? Who founded it? Where did a lot of the talent come from?

Edit: And what’s up with the duck lips selfie? I haven’t seen very many guys do that in selfies.

Clyde Cash

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
That’s one of the most asinine posts I’ve read in quite some time. You have no idea what Kyokushin is and which pro kickboxers came from it, do you?

Ever hear of K-1? Who founded it? Where did a lot of the talent come from?

Edit: And what’s up with the duck lips selfie? I haven’t seen very many guys do that in selfies.

Nah that's all oldschool **** that doesn't even work. Kyoukushin is "traditional karate" and that's enough for me to see that it's fake. Mas Oyama can kill bulls with it? Doesn't even matter, it's outdated man.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nah that's all oldschool **** that doesn't even work. Kyoukushin is "traditional karate" and that's enough for me to see that it's fake. Mas Oyama can kill bulls with it? Doesn't even matter, it's outdated man.
Bare knuckle/full contact is never outdated. When I guy buries a roundhouse kick full force into your thigh and then gives you a few bare knuckle punches in the gut without pulling his punches, the feeling you get is anything but outdated.

Forget stupid circus sideshow tricks like killing bulls, fighting bears and chopping the tops off of bottles with a knife hand strike. That was just a distraction to wow crowds back in the day. If you don’t think Kyokushin has any merit, go ahead and ask the MMA fanboys on a place like Bullshido who think just about everything is crap.

Fist meeting flesh hasn’t changed very much over the years. The concept is still the same - hit a guy hard and be able to take a hit. Old school, yet still just as relevant as it’s been since the beginning of time.

Clyde Cash

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Bare knuckle/full contact is never outdated. When I guy buries a roundhouse kick full force into your thigh and then gives you a few bare knuckle punches in the gut without pulling his punches, the feeling you get is anything but outdated.

Forget stupid circus sideshow tricks like killing bulls, fighting bears and chopping the tops off of bottles with a knife hand strike. That was just a distraction to wow crowds back in the day. If you don’t think Kyokushin has any merit, go ahead and ask the MMA fanboys on a place like Bullshido who think just about everything is crap.

Fist meeting flesh hasn’t changed very much over the years. The concept is still the same - hit a guy hard and be able to take a hit. Old school, yet still just as relevant as it’s been since the beginning of time.

I guess I can see that, but in Kyokushin punches to the head are illegal. It's stupid, if you're going to use your fists, use them.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I guess I can see that, but in Kyokushin punches to the head are illegal. It's stupid, if you're going to use your fists, use them.
That’s only in competition. It’s too easy to really mess someone up that way.

Plenty of Kyokushin guys put on gloves and headgear in the dojo. Somehow people outside of Kyokushin think everyone only trains for Kyokushin competition.

Clyde Cash

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
That’s only in competition. It’s too easy to really mess someone up that way.

Plenty of Kyokushin guys put on gloves and headgear in the dojo. Somehow people outside of Kyokushin think everyone only trains for Kyokushin competition.
Alright I'm willing to let this slide, Kyokushin is the only true form of karate. All other forms of Oriental martial arts are obsolete though and my mind can't be changed.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Alright I'm willing to let this slide, Kyokushin is the only true form of karate. All other forms of Oriental martial arts are obsolete though and my mind can't be changed.
I definitely know I’m not going to change your mind. And I’m not trying to. Thanks for letting Kyokushin slide though ;)

Kyokushin isn’t the only bare knuckle style out there. Look up Enshin and their Sabaki Challenge. Uechi Ryu is very hardcore depending on who’s teaching it. And so many more too. Don’t think karate is all tag game point fighting.

Then there’s Judo. Nothing fake and obsolete about throwing a guy on the ground and choking him out or joint locking him.

I could keep going, but I’m good right now.

Clyde Cash

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I definitely know I’m not going to change your mind. And I’m not trying to. Thanks for letting Kyokushin slide though ;)

Kyokushin isn’t the only bare knuckle style out there. Look up Enshin and their Sabaki Challenge. Uechi Ryu is very hardcore depending on who’s teaching it. And so many more too. Don’t think karate is all tag game point fighting.

Then there’s Judo. Nothing fake and obsolete about throwing a guy on the ground and choking him out or joint locking him.

I could keep going, but I’m good right now.
All sport martial arts are acceptable, but if you think your kata dances are going to aid you in a fight then you need to make like a tree and get outta here.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
All sport martial arts are acceptable, but if you think your kata dances are going to aid you in a fight then you need to make like a tree and get outta here.
I like kata, but everything’s got its place. Kata alone without any other drilling (related to it or unrelated to it) won’t make anyone a killer. But on the flip side, shadow boxing and working a bag without doing anything else won’t make a boxer a killer either.

It’s easy to look badass doing kata. It’s also easy to look badass shadow boxing and working a bag. I used to hit the bag everyday at my local YMCA for about 6 months. Almost everyday someone came up to me and said I look great and I should compete. All I said every time was “that bag doesn’t get out of the way and hit me back.”

Kata’s only one part of training, just like shadow boxing is only one part of boxing training. Kata only becomes a stupid waste of time when that’s all you ever do. Just like shadow boxing would too.

Clyde Cash

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I like kata, but everything’s got its place. Kata alone without any other drilling (related to it or unrelated to it) won’t make anyone a killer. But on the flip side, shadow boxing and working a bag without doing anything else won’t make a boxer a killer either.

It’s easy to look badass doing kata. It’s also easy to look badass shadow boxing and working a bag. I used to hit the bag everyday at my local YMCA for about 6 months. Almost everyday someone came up to me and said I look great and I should compete. All I said every time was “that bag doesn’t get out of the way and hit me back.”

Kata’s only one part of training, just like shadow boxing is only one part of boxing training. Kata only becomes a stupid waste of time when that’s all you ever do. Just like shadow boxing would too.
Shadow boxing is pointless, just like kata. The only thing that matters to me is EFFICIENCY. The fact of the matter is, sparring works your endurance as well as everything you need in the real deal. A bag works your strength and endurance. The only thing a kata can work is your memory and movement. Footwork is important but you can work on actual footwork against an opponent. If someone punches you, are you really going to break out into kihon kata #2 and preform a middle block, lunge forward to punch, middle block the other way, lunge forward to punch etc...

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Shadow boxing is pointless, just like kata. The only thing that matters to me is EFFICIENCY. The fact of the matter is, sparring works your endurance as well as everything you need in the real deal. A bag works your strength and endurance. The only thing a kata can work is your memory and movement. Footwork is important but you can work on actual footwork against an opponent. If someone punches you, are you really going to break out into kihon kata #2 and preform a middle block, lunge forward to punch, middle block the other way, lunge forward to punch etc...
Shadow boxing does a lot for you. It works on your movement and putting combinations together that work efficiently for you. It teaches feeling how everything’s supposed to flow. And it can work up a good sweat. Its like getting technical on the bag rather than just going all out and throwing everything but the kitchen sink without hitting the bag. It’s just a drill, but it’s a good drill. Don’t take my word for it; look up videos of pro boxers training and you’ll see them doing it too. I’ve seen plenty of Mike Tyson shadow boxing clips, just to name one guy.

Clyde Cash

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Shadow boxing does a lot for you. It works on your movement and putting combinations together that work efficiently for you. It teaches feeling how everything’s supposed to flow. And it can work up a good sweat. Its like getting technical on the bag rather than just going all out and throwing everything but the kitchen sink without hitting the bag. It’s just a drill, but it’s a good drill. Don’t take my word for it; look up videos of pro boxers training and you’ll see them doing it too. I’ve seen plenty of Mike Tyson shadow boxing clips, just to name one guy.
Who the hell is Mike Tyson?

Latest Discussions