Is boxing the best martial art?

Freestyler777

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I used to think wrestling and judo was best, judging by the way grapplers dominated every other kind of martial artist in the early MMA. But with time I have matured and heard many peoples' opinions that boxing is best. What you see on TV is not real, I'm glad i learned that without ever getting into a real altercation.

Bruce Lee based JKD largely on boxing, and Tao of Jeet Kune Do is 80% boxing.

Most of the MMA guys are training in boxing-style techniques, even though their background (wrestling and BJJ) would indicate they favor grappling. MMA is not reality to begin with.

Kickboxing owed much of its beginnings to Western Boxing, and how it was adapted to be used with the kicking of Oriental Martial Arts.

Basically, everywhere I go in the MA world, boxing has taken prominence. So I conclude that boxing, and similar martial arts, such as kickboxing and muay thai are the best martial arts. Say what you will.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually Nike-do is the best style ever for getting out of trouble.

As has been said before and will be said again time and time again, the best style is the style that suits you and works for you. Yhat could be capoiera for some, karate for others, aikiso, judo etc basically whatever works for you is the best style is the one that works.

Freestyler you seem very dismissive of MMA and was it to MMA you were referring when you said it wasn't real?

OP
Freestyler777

Freestyler777

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What I meant was, forming self-defense opinions based on what you've seen on TV is not smart. Even the early MMA fights were not 'real fights', although they were pretty darn close.

And by the way, I hold a black belt in nike-do. I also have a black belt in grocery shopping and philosophy.:soapbox:

I have decided to train in boxing. jiu-jitsu is not for me, no matter how hard I try.

And all I see in JKD/kickboxing/MMA is punching techniques that resemble boxing.

And every 'experienced' opinion I get seems to tell me that punching most realistic, although in theory, anything could work (kicking, throwing, biting, gouging, weapons, makeshift weapons, etc...)

Basically, I want to fight without fighting. I don't want to experience a streetfight, but I want to do a sport that doubles as an effective self-defense method, and i think I have finally realized that boxing is for me. I guess it doesn't matter if there is or is not an objective 'best martial art'. But it seems like kickboxing and MMA are largely influenced by pugilism.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You can never go wrong with boxing but as a martial art I do not believe so it is a great fighting tool and probaly the best one known to mankind.

bdparsons

Black Belt
Reaction score
So much in self defense is situation specific. The reality is, if you are a better boxer than I am a "street fighter" or "karateka" then chances are your going to win.

The first step is not to suffer from "paralysis by analysis". Get into some art and start training. Your experience there will tell you whether or not it's for you. Look for practicality. Ask yourself, "Does this make sense?" If it does, stay and train harder. If it doesn't, you've just gained the experience of finding something that doesn't work for you. Be sure not to judge too quickly. Above all, if the instructor can't give a valid reason for doing things a certain way, hit the door.

Respects,
Bill Parsons
Triangle Kenpo Institute

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
There is no such thing as a 'best' martial art. There is a best combination of your body type, attitude and talents with a type of training. And there is certainly a level of instruction that is superior.

But my advice would be to worry about style less and about what works more. In the end, it's all the same.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am a firm believer that there is no "best" martial art. I will say that boxing is the simplest art to learn. It has very few techniques and they are pretty straight forward. You can spend your time mastering the few techniques instead of learning many other techniques that you may never use. JMO.

OP
Freestyler777

Freestyler777

Blue Belt
Reaction score
That is very insightful, i didn't think of it that way, but yes, the body of knowledge in boxing is very small compared to most other martial arts. And it is the simplest art.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There is no such thing as a 'best' martial art. There is a best combination of your body type, attitude and talents with a type of training. And there is certainly a level of instruction that is superior.

But my advice would be to worry about style less and about what works more. In the end, it's all the same.

I agree, the best martial art for me is Aikido, the best martial art for Terry is TKD, and the best martial art for Tez is MMA. These are the ones we embraced and fit our personalities, and these are the ones we've spent considerable time studying and training in. These are the arts we have made part of ourselves and what we will fall back on when the **** hits the fan.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I used to think wrestling and judo was best, judging by the way grapplers dominated every other kind of martial artist in the early MMA. But with time I have matured and heard many peoples' opinions that boxing is best. What you see on TV is not real, I'm glad i learned that without ever getting into a real altercation.

Bruce Lee based JKD largely on boxing, and Tao of Jeet Kune Do is 80% boxing.

Most of the MMA guys are training in boxing-style techniques, even though their background (wrestling and BJJ) would indicate they favor grappling. MMA is not reality to begin with.

Kickboxing owed much of its beginnings to Western Boxing, and how it was adapted to be used with the kicking of Oriental Martial Arts.

Basically, everywhere I go in the MA world, boxing has taken prominence. So I conclude that boxing, and similar martial arts, such as kickboxing and muay thai are the best martial arts. Say what you will.
NO, no, no! Boxing is limited to upper body thrusting... only. Its only effective against people limmiting themselves to that type of combat. For your information there are other ranges and methods of execution to at least consider.
sean

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

What he said...

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Boxing is a great art I trained in it.
I do not think it or any art can be consider best certain fads may use that but fads come and go. I think boxing should be looked at in 2 ways the old ways when they boxed wrestled and what not and modern with just striking. When we just look at boxing there are some pro's and con's
which of course we find in every style and how much pro and con shows
depends on the individual. The limitation in just Boxing is no kicks no throws no knees well pretty much nothing but using your fists and maybe some clinching. So when you are put into a setting in which there are no rules and your opponent may use a weapon Boxing alone may not be the best choice compared to styles that deal with multi scenerios or someone who trained in boxing but covered areas not in Boxing such as some form of grappling or whatever. The point is you will never find the best elite system only what works best for you and makes you the best you can be.

Jonathan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
NO, no, no! Boxing is limited to upper body thrusting... only. Its only effective against people limmiting themselves to that type of combat. For your information there are other ranges and methods of execution to at least consider.
sean

Ennhhhh... not *entirely* accurate, IMO. Granted, it's probably more effective against someone who's also boxing... but to say it's entirely ineffective against, say, a kickboxer isn't outright accurate.

But I do agree that he should consider alternatives, what his strengths, weaknesses, and interests are, and what exactly he wants to accomplish.

Bumblebee

Green Belt
Reaction score
Even though it sounds way cliche now, I'm one of those people that claim that there are no superior martial arts. Just superior martial artist.

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
That is very insightful, i didn't think of it that way, but yes, the body of knowledge in boxing is very small compared to most other martial arts. And it is the simplest art.

I would disagree here, boxing has very few moves compared to other arts true but that doesnt mean its not any less complexed.

The true art in boxing is learning how to land your punches, how to defend punches, how to move, how to roll, how to stand, how to disguise punches, how to take punches.......etc........

All those things is what becomes the art of boxing, and all of them things take no less time to learn then it would someone learning another art.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ennhhhh... not *entirely* accurate, IMO. Granted, it's probably more effective against someone who's also boxing... but to say it's entirely ineffective against, say, a kickboxer isn't outright accurate.

But I do agree that he should consider alternatives, what his strengths, weaknesses, and interests are, and what exactly he wants to accomplish.
I didn't mean to imply the moves weren't effective. limmiting is a better term.
Sean

TheArtofDave

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I've got a little experience as it relates to boxing. If you combine them in the old ways before boxing & wrestling were separate then it could be largely effective especially with other styles.

If you mean Boxing like sport-boxing where you're just limiting to throwing punches then here is what I would suggest.

Foot work is proper.. you can dodge.. side step well and when you back up to duck a punch and counter foot work is all a part of proper balance.

You also don't want to give yourself away with your eyes. Besides movement of the body if you effectively know your punches, know which you can land and the varying power behind them.

Remember not all fights go the same, not everybody is going to pick up a weapon. Most people will swing wildly or rush you in which case you can back up and then send a punch to either leave you alone, put them on their ***, or knock them out. Of course if boxing, with american influence doesn't interest you then check into Thai boxing to learn other techniques instead of the ones you, and others may be familiar with. Encorporating other styles with boxing just makes you more effective any way.

Boxing its limited in a way but if somebody who isn't versed well in boxing gets around you, and you have to use it then they're not going want to keep trying you only to learn the hard way they're the only one who'll be meet with the floor or whatever surface the fight is taking place.

Best of luck to you

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I boxed for a number of years & really liked it. After being a kicker for many years before that, it was a great challenge to me to only use my hands. It's a great form of self-defense, but it certainly has it's limitations as well. (All martial arts do). One thing is for sure, boxing is one way to test yourself to see if you can really take a punch. In boxing there's little chance that you will fool yourself into thinking that you can handle it. If you get into the ring, you get that chance to find out.

Latest Discussions