KungFu Ranking

Black Tiger Fist

Green Belt
Reaction score
Most traditional Kung fu schools have no color belt/sash ranking system at all as far as I know. And I have never seen a Northern style with one. But that does not mean they do not exist.

And those that do I highly doubt the colors are the same since you can see different color ranking system between Jujitsu and Karate TDK and Judo, Karate and karate, etc.

Spot on!

Must don't and those that do unless from the same lineage the color can mean anything. We wear a blk sash in Hak Fu Mun, but it carries no rank.

jeff:)

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
We have a system of sashes which represents a circle of knowledge.

Novice - Black
Initiate - Blue
Acolyte - White
Adept - Red
Master - Black

The system is supposed to portray the the sun during the day, from darkness (novice) through midday (acolyte) back to darkness (master).

jtbdad

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If I am not mistaken the different Shuai-Chiao, schools use belt ranks. Not sure how old the practice is though.

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I only took classes with a college club some years ago. As I recall, our teacher said that traditionally there was no belt/sash ranking system. I think he meant this in general for CMA, not just the art we were studying. That would coincide with what I've heard elsewhere. Since belt color didn't matter then, he had us all get black belts since he said they don't get as dirty as quickly. :) I imagine any school could set up any ranking system they wanted. I don't know what's commonly done though.

Latest Discussions